The Student Room Group

Common words which people can't spell

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Superstar6318
I'm sick of people who can't spell so here's how to spell certain words.

Definitely - not definately or definitaly.

Breathe - note that this is spelt different from breath. You're meant to use breathe to explain how one inhales oxygen and emits carbon dioxide, and you use breath when you refer to ones breath smelling.

Occasionally - two C's used.

Focused - Why oh why do people spell it as 'focussed?'

Grammar- not grammer

does anyone care to add any more?

There's no 'official' orthographic standard for the English language sow eye cud spel liek thees an it wud b rite.
Your /You're
It's good to observe you having such fun on your saturday night, scrutinising peoples spelling in a frenzied desperation to feel superior.

Is this thread a joke?
Reply 63
Weird. Urgh. (Wierd)
Original post by insertnamehere
True, but sometimes you get those overzealous ones who barely use contractions and use odd words - 'I was so forlorn. It was not destined to occur!' You're used to reading these, but when I heard someone say this I blinked at them. Literally blinked at them. (*Almost starts a rant about misuse of 'literally'.*)

Yeah, and they (these particular overzealous foreigners) don't fully understand the expression of English language. It is hilarious when they misuse idioms and expressions. E.g - "As they say, you cannot beat them, you must join them" as opposed to saying the actual phrase "If you can't beat em' join them."

I'm so picky about this, I "litrally" am.

Another grammar point is the use of sarcasm without the (!) or (.) at the end of said sarcastic quip.
Reply 65
Original post by Genocidal
Someone in my class misspelled apple once. In case you are wondering he wrote apell. :lolwut:

omg your sig is sooo....umm.....interesting :curious: :eating:
Reply 66
Break = brake
Original post by Einheri
There's no 'official' orthographic standard for the English language sow eye cud spel liek thees an it wud b rite.

You're correct to say that however I was referring to the use of proper written English as opposed to the speaking of it
Reply 68
You're correct to say that however I was referring to the use of proper written English as opposed to the speaking of it

What do you think "orthographic" refers to? I'm talking about the written language. Who defines what is proper? The dictionaries? They can't agree among themselves and there is no Grand Council of the English Language to say which is right, therefore any written standard which is representative of the spoken language is just as viable as any other.
Masturbation spelt as masterbation...

It infuriates me and is frequently found on H&R!
Yeah, and they (these particular overzealous foreigners) don't fully understand the expression of English language. It is hilarious when they misuse idioms and expressions. E.g - "As they say, you cannot beat them, you must join them" as opposed to saying the actual phrase "If you can't beat em' join them."

I'm so picky about this, I "litrally" am.

Hahahahaha! I think I'd start laughing if someone said that to me. Or even near me!
Reply 71
shut up u fuking gay loser
Reply 72
Original post by S129439
Misspelled is often misspelled

There was some graffiti on a toilet wall which said "Mispelling. Fail", above someone else's insult. I then wrote above that comment, "Misspelling* You fail!"

That was truly a good day for me...even took a picture of it.
I'm sick of people who can't spell so here's how to spell certain words.

Definitely - not definately or definitaly.

Breathe - note that this is spelt different from breath. You're meant to use breathe to explain how one inhales oxygen and emits carbon dioxide, and you use breath when you refer to ones breath smelling.

Occasionally - two C's used.

Focused - Why oh why do people spell it as 'focussed?'

Grammar- not grammer

does anyone care to add any more?

The one that really angers me is disgusting. So many people spell it discusting! THERE IS NO C PEOPLE!!
Original post by INTJ
There was some graffiti on a toilet wall which said "Mispelling. Fail", above someone else's insult. I then wrote above that comment, "Misspelling* You fail!"

That was truly a good day for me...even took a picture of it.

Omg same.

In the toilets at college somebody wrote 'raise hands, 'recieve' bacon' on the hand dryer.

So I wrote 'receive' on it. Just to piss on his chips.
Reply 75
Original post by .r.
February; beautiful (even though we've been taught the Big Elephants Are Ugly thing from day 1); necessary (one Collar, two Sleeves :P). yep those are the major offenders.
my brother spelt hasn't as 'hasunt' once lol.
bad grammar doesn't faze me too much :P. what does is when crazy people write things like 'yhew' and 'yhuh' instead of 'you' in texts. 'u' i understand, it's shorter, but why on earth would you do the other ones?! you're making it longer for gods sake!
that's it lol :P

haha i agree with you! I HATE when people write YHEW and tadaii (instead of today).. and 'da' instead of 'the'!
There really is no excuse for poor spelling on the internet, both chrome and firefox have British Dictionary spell checker add-ons.
Reply 77
i can't spell guarentee =] (guarantee, wtf?!)

i also sometimes have trouble with priviledge (it just makes more sense with the d?)

er...yes.
everything else i'm more or less okayy with i think
definitely i say weirdly in my head to make sure i get all the "i"s in
Dicktionary. :teehee:
I'd say the majority of common words are spelt incorrectly most of the time...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending