The Student Room Group

Burning the American flag?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Flag burning is just plain stupid, but I agree that to suggest it should not be allowed is ridiculous. Book burning, however, has a rather sinister history, and shouldn't be widely tolerated in any civil democratic society - if you don't want it, give it to a charity shop!
Reply 41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65KZIqay4E

in all seriousness though, we were very tolerant when muslims got very angry over one man threatening to publicly burn the qu'ran, so why can we not understand that other people get angry when you burn their flag?
(edited 13 years ago)
Flag burning of the American flag is foolish. And the people that get angry about it are even worse. Remember they bought the flag in the first place most likely so they are not burning your flag, they are burning their own flag; their own property. :p:
Reply 43
Original post by ajtiesto
But they don't want to face the truth or debate about what the government are doing in Iraq and Afganistan. Shame on them!

They were hardly great places to live before invasion though, were they? And all flag burning does to right the wrongs done by the US and others is damage the environment (A long term plot by the Taliban to finish off everyone?!). If they want peace, retaliate with mass peaceful movements.
Reply 44
Exactly bro. People in the west vote for governments who come into power and then send troops to kill muslim women and children. Blood is on they're hands imo and they don't care because they're out clubbing, boozing and getting f***ed by strangers every friday and saturday night. But they don't want to face the truth or debate about what the government are doing in Iraq and Afganistan. Shame on them!

To me, you are located on the same place on the scale as those british people who moan about and make sweeping generalisations about immigrants. do you not feel that playing the oppressed and enlightened figure in a supposedly less superior environment gets a bit tedious after a while?
Reply 45
Original post by Acerbic
They were hardly great places to live before invasion though, were they?

So that justifies invasion, occupation and a reckless attitude to civilians welfare? I wouldnt have said Swindon was a particularly nice place but I dont think its right for us to therefore declare that the mayor evil and blow it up?! By any means have you even been to Iraq?
Well it is a very ugly flag.
Reply 47
Anyone who understands what a metaphor is should know that burning a flag is offensive and not just burning material.
Reply 48
Original post by adam_zed
So that justifies invasion, occupation and a reckless attitude to civilians welfare? I wouldnt have said Swindon was a particularly nice place but I dont think its right for us to therefore declare that the mayor evil and blow it up?! By any means have you even been to Iraq?

I didn't say that the invasions were just, but I don't think that reactionary extremism is just either. The point I was making was that the invasions worsened, but did not ruin, Iraq and Afghanistan.
Original post by Acerbic
I didn't say that the invasions were just, but I don't think that reactionary extremism is just either. The point I was making was that the invasions worsened, but did not ruin, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Are you dumb or are you just acting dumb? Can you really look at refugees/families of the victims killed and say 'hey we might have worsened the country, but not ruined it' where's the line?

And its not reactionary extremism is it? Killing people vs. Flag burning.

In all honesty, if Muslims killed millions of Christians I would understand why they'd burn Qurans,
People in the west vote for governments who come into power and then send troops to kill muslim women and children.

This is going to get me in a lot of trouble but they kill men too, not just women and children. ie: you're using shock tactics to gain sympathy, not impressed!
Reply 51
Original post by SomaliMan
Are you dumb or are you just acting dumb? Can you really look at refugees/families of the victims killed and say 'hey we might have worsened the country, but not ruined it' where's the line?

And its not reactionary extremism is it? Killing people vs. Flag burning.

In all honesty, if Muslims killed millions of Christians I would understand why they'd burn Qurans,

What the **** does burning a flag or book do to make up for injustice? The countries were ****holes before they were invaded, too.
Original post by S129439
I disagree.

For me the Flag of England represents something.

St. George's Cross y'mean? :wink:

And in reference to the OPs post restricting mentioning the Qur'an I think is suffocating the opposition argument.

It was quite alright for a group of Muslims (regardless of number) to burn the American flag in the US or even the Union Flag in the UK, however when Pastor Jones was going to burn the Qur'an he was critisised and told he could not do it - the argument from the Imam being 'There are millions of Muslims around the world as this will offend them', I'd hazzard a guess that they would be a death order issued against him as well similar to the cartoonists who drew the Prophet. So to summarise the Imams point he is saying that because there are more Muslims than Americans you cannot carry out anti-islamic actions.

Now, my point is that there should be a situation where either either a) The destruction of the nation's flag/symbol/religious literature in such a way is illegal but should be tolerated elsewhere
b) No such action is tolerated within a country (ie. can't burn the flag or Qur'an)
c) Both actions are legal and the state should protect the right of both parties to do so (Ie, permit and support the right for the Qur'an to be burned and for the flag to be burnt).

Apologies for the essay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending