The Student Room Group

Are my A LEVEL Choices to easy?

Scroll to see replies

People are being too polite here. To put it bluntly - psychology and sociology are crap A levels.
Reply 21
Oh yeah sorry, I was supposed to mention I want to do an LLB at the London school of economics and political sciences. Please can you help me more now. Also apologies to the grammar police.
It depends on what you want to study at university and where. Cambridge for example have a list of subjects they prefer and subjects they would rather you didn't study or did as a fourth A-level, and Psychology and Sociology are on that list if I'm not mistaken.

They all offer their own challenges so they should be taken equally as seriously, good luck!

EDIT: LSE's requirements for the Law LLB are as follows:

Course requirement: A range of good grades at GCSE level (if taken) followed by three A levels and accompanied by a fourth AS level, normally taken in year 12. The Cambridge Law Studies Test is not considered a relevant qualification for entry

Usual standard offer: A level: grades A* A A, with an A* in a generally preferred subject (with some flexibility for candidates who do not conform to the standard pattern of qualifications as indicated above)

They do not specify A-levels by the looks of it as long as you study at least two academic subjects, so your choices would probably be fine :smile:

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/lseEntryRequirements.aspx This goes into detail about what they would prefer in an application to their university.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Samc12
I have chosen the following choices to do next year for A level and I want to know If I need to change them while I still can.

I have chosen

-Economics
- English Literature
- Psychology
and finally Sociology :smile:

Thanks In advance.. Sam :smile:

That depends exclusively on two things:

(1) What degree you want to do
(2) Where you want to do the degree

That said, English Literature is considered a "hard" A level. The others, however, fall into the "soft" category. Why have you chosen these AS levels? Are you already interested in a particular degree area, or did you select them on a whim?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by alexs2602
How does it feel to be wrong twice? The title uses the wrong to, end of story.

How am I wrong twice? She did not state whether she was referring to the title or the question in the thread, so I thought he was refferring to the latter.
Reply 25
English Lit looks really academic, even if you only do it to AS. I've applied to do music at Uni and i do psychology for A2.... and i have offers and i had an interview at oxford, so it can't look too bad....
saying that, it does depend on the course you want to go for. If in doubt, phone up your potential uni shortlist to see if those subjects would disadvantage you. chances are, unless you are a "maybe" candidate, it won't make much of a difference ^_^
Reply 26
Original post by Xx.MissEG.xX
It's definitely 'to'.

I think he meant 'too', dear.

Take a sentence of similar gramatical form 'Is my toe to yellow?' This clearly doesn't make sense (logically, regardless of content.) However, the following question makes sense: 'Is my toe too yellow?' I think this is pretty conclusive.

History would be a good choice for you. Dump sociology. Might be worth replacing psych too.
Reply 28
Original post by olibishop
If you're aiming high uni wise, I wouldn't do Psychology and Sociology.

...unless you want to go to Cambridge to study psychology or sociology...
Reply 29
i do economics and psychology and if you really get into them and revise it then it should be fine for you
It's not about easiness. It's about respectability. I'd call one or two of those subjects "soft", but hardly on any blacklists.

They're all very essay orientated subjects, though. Maybe include Maths or a proper science instead of sociology or psychology?
Reply 31
Sam,

They're most certainly not 'easy' at all! From the sounds of it psychology is a lot of case studies and I imagine sociology is similar content-wise.

None of the subjects fall under Trinity College Cambridge's 'suitable as a fourth choice only' list so that means they're all completely fine for application. You've got one of the best Arts subjects 'English Literature' that's easily in the top three Arts choices. Economics is seen as a 'Generally Suitable' Arts subject, which means according to TCC it's on a par with English Lit and History in the Arts field, and Chemistry and Maths in the science field.

All in all they're some good subjects you've got there, if you're enjoying them then there's no need to change. All that matters is that you get the grades with a combination like that.
Reply 32
too*

judging by grammar not easy enough, only joking easy enough mistake

yeah theyre fine but its really down to two factors,

are they subjects you will be inclined to like? liking them makes it alot easier.
will the subjects be okay for your future university course choice?
Original post by Lyam
I think he meant 'too', dear.

Take a sentence of similar gramatical form 'Is my toe to yellow?' This clearly doesn't make sense (logically, regardless of content.) However, the following question makes sense: 'Is my toe too yellow?' I think this is pretty conclusive.

I know, I already said I thought that he was referring to the question in the thread, not the title.
Reply 34
I highly doubt you will get anyway near a law degree at LSE doing sociology and physcology. Do politics or history instead, or make your life easier and balance it out a bit by doing a proper science or maths.
Reply 35
It depends. What would you class as easy?

They all pose their individual challenges and if you want to do those subjects then do them.
Reply 36
Original post by Xx.MissEG.xX
It's definitely 'to'.

You're completely wrong. In this context, the word is describing an adjective, and since "to" is a preposition, it is incorrect. "too" is correct.
Original post by Lemons
*too.

They sound fine? Depends what you want to do after.

Grammar Nazi pedantic **** you are!

Anyway to answer your question, no they are not. Besides who cares, so long as they're subjects that interest you.
Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel
People are being too polite here. To put it bluntly - psychology and sociology are crap A levels.

Shut up, you idiot, just because you don't see them as good, oh and btw did you do the actually subjects yourself?! Damn people are full of preconceived crap here, honestly so judgemental.
Original post by riotgrrl

Original post by riotgrrl
"Easy" is subjective. Psychology and sociology aren't as well respected as some other subjects though.

:ditto:

OP, what do you want to study. Regardless, I'd suggest dropping one of psych or socio and replacing it with a more respectable subject.

Quick Reply

Latest