Reply 20
im applying for Marketing course,
i cant believe ppl got offers already!
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Tut
Got that same offer! Still waiting for the letter though.. offer came up on track but no confirmation from the uni or UCAS. Strange.. Quick question 2 any1 that can answer it.. what on-site accomodation is there.. I know theres Lawrence, Stafford and Lakeside.. is that it? Are there any off-site accomodation places 2?

Cheers 2 any1 that can help :-)
Tut

Right, here's a quick overview of what's up here:

LAKESIDE: The posh one, you get an ensuite and a massive kitchen and it's about £90 a week. On campus, it's the furthest from the main building, but you can still get there in 5 minutes. It's also slightly closer to the city centre which is handy if you've got lots of shopping

HIGH RISE: This is Lawrence, Dalton and Stafford. Stafford owns. You should get your own sink, but you share a bathroom and kitchen with the other people on your floor. No-one I know ever complains about this and most final years apply to go into this type coz it's apparently more friendly than Lakeside. It costs less than £60 a week

LOW RISE: This is Gem, Bishop Ryder, Vauxhall and Old Cross. They're the same standard as the High Rises, just with a lot less people in them.

OFF CAMPUS: This includes The Heights, over the road from the Uni, and Ladywood I think, but I don't know much about them.

Remember, if we're your first choice on UCAS, you're guarnateed accommodation on-site.
Reply 22
Lakeside to floor 6 main building Warick Lecture building via the stairs is possible in 3 minutes without running. :tongue:
i just got my ucas letter i am reffered at the moment what is taht, good or bad ????
Aston, from what I have heard and researched on, it was my first choice all the way..!! And I have yet to visit the place and cant wait too. I received my Aston offer today for Business and Management, and conditions they have set is ABB, so just got to work for it now. I too have received the offer on Track, but no letters or anything...odd..coz everyone else is complaining the inverse..and that UCAS is messed...lolz..!

Cheerio :smile:
It's my first choice for computing Science, the lecturer informed me that I will only require BBC to get in, and general is accepted :biggrin:
Chilin due, is that for all courses :redface:
Reply 27
No, Aston have different requirements for different courses. Check on ucas or the aston website for requirements for your course. Computing for business (im applying to), only require 260 points (BCC), but finance and managment courses require much higher (generaly ABB-BBB). Thats because Aston has one of the best business schools in the country (some argue that it is the best), so for those courses it is more competitive, hence the higher entry requirements.
Reply 28
Lil Lee
Right, here's a quick overview of what's up here:

LAKESIDE: The posh one, you get an ensuite and a massive kitchen and it's about £90 a week. On campus, it's the furthest from the main building, but you can still get there in 5 minutes. It's also slightly closer to the city centre which is handy if you've got lots of shopping

HIGH RISE: This is Lawrence, Dalton and Stafford. Stafford owns. You should get your own sink, but you share a bathroom and kitchen with the other people on your floor. No-one I know ever complains about this and most final years apply to go into this type coz it's apparently more friendly than Lakeside. It costs less than £60 a week

LOW RISE: This is Gem, Bishop Ryder, Vauxhall and Old Cross. They're the same standard as the High Rises, just with a lot less people in them.

OFF CAMPUS: This includes The Heights, over the road from the Uni, and Ladywood I think, but I don't know much about them.

Remember, if we're your first choice on UCAS, you're guarnateed accommodation on-site.

Hmmmm.. The prospect of having to share a bathroom with 3-4 other people kinda scares me.. lol. My sister was in Stafford for her first year last year and didnt complain at all.. however my friend in alwrence absolutely hated it! Guess thats the difference between male and female hygiene eh! lol

When applying for accomodation you do get the option to where u wanna stay right? I mean they don't just say oh here you go.. lol.. Stoopid question i know but id like to get everything straight before hand!

I've been to see The Heights already.. En-Suite.. Only way to live.. lol. If anything i think ill be looking at Lakeside rather than any of the towers. I've heard its like a high-security prison though.. ooo the possibilities.. lol..

Tut
:-)
Reply 29
There is no bloody way I am not living in En Suite accomodation... Lakeside is the way to go!
J4ME5
I’ve applied to Aston, I want to get on the Business Management course it’s my FC, I got the predicted grades of AAC, and so its fingers crossed atm

I got an unconditional offer today for Msc in Business Studies... . Well, I will still wait for other unis to reply. I m an interna applicant so I can't make myself a clear idea on how good aston is. Is it like very good or just good?
you lucky guy unconditional, time to stop studying then. Aston is a very small university in the center of Birmingham
oxfordbrooks
you lucky guy unconditional, time to stop studying then. Aston is a very small university in the center of Birmingham

yeah I know pritty much what it is, I just wanted to know how good is it compared to LSE, Imperial, Cass, Bath, Bradford.. staff like that
Reply 33
Aston is very small but excellently located, all lectures are within 10 mins (if your a slow walker) of accomodation (Lakeside (where I live) being furthest away, it take me 3 or 4 mins to get to the Main building where lectures are held)

Lakeside itself may be known as accomodation where people keep themselves to themselves, and i suppose this may be the case. However theres no problems with this if you get together with your flat and go and meet all the other flats. I mean, a building's reputation can only be reflected by the people living in it. Theres been no issues with nightlife this year in my opinion. Besides when ive been out, if im not up for any more drink its nice to be able to go to bed and not be able to hear a toilet flushing three floors up, ala tower block :tongue:

Lakeside also houses a lot of international students (within my flat of 9, 4 are international students).

En-suite is just a bonus. Convinient.

In terms of applying for accomodation, you can complete this via the internet or can apply via a form sent to you. The form comes after you get your application (if im not mistaken) or you can beat the rush and use the net and not have to wait about for postal services. (This was the process last year, may have changed obviously) - You have two choices for accomodation, a first choice and a second choice. If you dont get your first, you normally get your second, if you dont get your second your extremely, extremely unlucky.

The university is 10 mins from New Street station, Bullring, Other shopping. 20 mins from Broad Street (clubbing district) walking.

It's also a suprisingly green campus for its location within Britain's second city, theres geese and squirrels and strangely two cats that have taken to living within the Lakeside compound area. Whatever.

Sports facilities are alright, never used the gym personally but not heard anything bad about it.

Drinking facilities I know a fair amount about, guild offers three bars, although this year I think theyre taking out the top floor bar within the guild building and putting in another computer cluster with wireless access for the guild all round. £5,000,000 is being spent on the guild alone this year, is im not mistaken.

External drinking facilties in the locality are alright, theres always more if you dont like the one you walk into tbfh :tongue:

Generally the lifestyle of Aston is good (in my opinion), I like the fact that everything is within a campus, you incur no transport costs and can be in lectures promptly withoutn getting up early. The location of campus is excellent in terms of everything you need to be a student tbh (drink and tesco's)

In terms of courses, as from signature im doing BSc Business And Management. The course so far is fairly basic, as everyone studies a generic first year (on business courses) giving you a grounding in all aspects of business. The work load isnt massive, as you would expect with a first year and if you have taken A level Business studies, economics or Accounting you'll have no problems in the associated lectures. If you haven't then theres no problem, as everything is talked through step by step, bringing you upto the same level as those who have studied subjects before.

In the second year you can diversify and choose subjects you want to (while taking 4 (?) set modules, if memory serves) - I haven't done this yet obviously so cant say anything about the courses.

The lectures arent that painful in fairness, not going to lie, some are better than others, as you would naturally expect. However, this is more to do with individual lecturer styles (that may not appeal to me, but may appeal to others) than the course content, which is, in my opinion, fairly good so far.

The only other university I have to compare Aston to in terms of business facilities would be Manchester. imo Manchester was less organised and the business course, although it had more flexibility, lacked direction. One MAJOR point was that Manchester also did not offer a placement year. Which was something I wanted and look forward to.

Thought this might be relevant in response to some questions posted on the thread.
Thanks for the info, Any changce of me gettng into account for management course with predicted grades BCC? Thanks
what I've seen is that the towers are basically the most sociable blocks.

Lakeside and low rise have a larger amount of final year students in them so they kind of have less of a social night atomsphere (apparently you have to work in the final year). However they do have their benefits such as fewer fire alarms and more space in kitchen

but all still are quality, real friendly places to live (go bishop ryder 1 - best flat in all of aston)
yeah i guess towers are better, although my flat sucks and floor sucks really! dalton = boo! i'd rather live in stafford. seems to be loads of things always going on there.
on the note of fire alarms, man theyre annoying, had one this morning, well 12pm ish but i wasnt dressed grr. theyre terrible in the night, they seem to ALWAYS happen when uve been out late as well and when u have early lectures the next day- and end up missing them :P
Reply 37
The trick is too stay out late enough that even the late fire alarms are not an issue. :tongue:
Reply 38
Got my offer from them today. They want BCC. All is good :cool:
Reply 39
Anyone here applying for Accountancy for Management course at Aston next year?.. Like 2 know sum1 before i go even tho a lot of my friends are already there i'm looking forward to clubbing every night until my liver gives up :smile:
lol.. also a quick question about how much leeway the admissions board give. I'm predicted ABB and those are the requirements for the course but if i was to get ABC or something lower would i still be considered by Aston or would i jus be rejected or would they still consider me?

Fanx 4 any feedback
Tut ;-)

Latest