The Student Room Group

Christmas Eve Traditions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Put all my presents for my family under the tree. Go and post Christmas cards to neighbours on our street. See my friends for a few hours, exchange presents etc. Then at night sit in front of the fire watching the Home Alone boxset with the family and a tin of chocolates :P
Reply 21
Well, not all countries celebrate Christmas on the 25th.

In Norway we celebrate Christmas on the 24th, so it's a pretty big day. A very nice dinner, open presents in the evening etc. The 25th means nothing.
My advent calendar only has 24 'windows'!
Reply 22
Just watch Christmas films, hear the tones of Chris Reah all day (singing the same words) and usually play the wii.
Reply 23
Getting frigged.
We all get to open one present which is always new PJs to wear on Christmas eve and Christmas Morning :smile:
Reply 25
Ask mum if we can actually put the christmas decorations up before boxing day, get shot down, distract myself using modern technology.
Feel cold, distract myself using modern technology.
Listen to parents arguing about turkey/relatives/snow/other festive themed topics, distract myself using modern technology.
Standard.
Reply 26
Watch Love Actually.

Alan Rickman :sexface:
Reply 27
Go round my dads and go to the pub with him and all the locals.... We usually go back to someones house afterwards... Then wake up on Xmas regretting it deeply
We kind of have a "starter" Xmas dinner. It's bigger than a usual dinner but not as big as the main Xmas dinner which is eaten on Christmas Day. We don't have any family here so Christmas has always been low key for us.
Reply 29
Wrap Christmas presents with my sisters if we didn't do that the day before. Play instruments in the crib service (cello in my case), again with my sisters. Go to the carols by candlelight service with my whole family. Hang up stocking on my bedpost before going to bed, of course! Usually this is filled by my parents, but this year my boyfriend is here for Christmas and we're doing each other's stocking. :smile:

Apart from that, Christmas Eve is usually filled with cooking for the big day (the little things like bread, cranberry and apple sauces, rum butter etc.). My grandmother usually arrives at some point in the afternoon, bearing an icecream Christmas pudding which we always have on Boxing Day. We also put all the presents she brings under the Christmas tree - we give out presents to immediate family members after the stocking-opening first thing in the morning, so don't put those under the tree.
Reply 30
Original post by Luceria
Well, not all countries celebrate Christmas on the 25th.

In Norway we celebrate Christmas on the 24th, so it's a pretty big day. A very nice dinner, open presents in the evening etc. The 25th means nothing.
My advent calendar only has 24 'windows'!

What do you call the 24th? Do you still call it Christmas Eve, even though you don't celebrate Christmas Day on the 25th?
Reply 31
It's my birthday, so I open birthday presents :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Kew
What do you call the 24th? Do you still call it Christmas Eve, even though you don't celebrate Christmas Day on the 25th?

We call the 24th , "Julaften", which pretty much means "Yule evening". So I guess that makes it "Christmas eve". The 25th is a "public holiday" known as "first Christmas day." .. But nothing happens that day, except maybe family dinners and such. A very boring day in general.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm going to work 8-3. Going home to sleep/eat and going back for night shift at 10 until whenever :frown:

Normally Christmas eve is the same as any other day, we'll watch a film at night though, and open one present which is always pj's. Not this year, stupid work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending