The Student Room Group

AS Physics vs A2 Mechanics

Hello.

Will having done M1, M2, M3, and M4, make the attainment of an (A) grade in AS Physics a breeze?

.....Or is there a lot more to AS Physics that isn't covered in the A-level Mathematics mechanics modules?

:smile:

Edit: I realised the post was riddled with typos. :nah:
(edited 13 years ago)
Should definitley make your understanding much better! but there's many more topics you will have to study and understand!
physics is much more than just mechanics...

as you seem good at maths, physics should be easy though. you just need to learn a few new concepts, but the vast majority of questions when i did it were just quick little calculation questions, where the formulas were either very simple or in the formula booklet
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Its about 2/3 of the first module , i'm not sure if you do waves if you do not then the whole of the second module is different but not to difficult and the third unit is generally a practical (there is a written version aswell not to sure about this ) :smile:
I'm talking about edexcel btw
I'd say about 30% of my board's (AQA) AS Physics was mechanics, the rest stuff like electricity, particle physics, waves etc. So you should find the mechanics side of it a breeze, as practically no knowledge of mathematics is assumed, however as much can't be said about the rest of the course.
Mechanics itself is not the benefit; it's more that you get practice with problem solving and you stay familiar with algebra, rearranging equations etc. C1, 2, 3 etc will be just as useful in my opinion (as maths in general helps with most of the physics course.)

Having said that, maybe 20-40% of your physics course will probably be mechanics depending on your board. It's roughly the same as the stuff you learn in M1. I don't think the benefits of taking M2, 3, and 4 on top of that will serve much purpose if it's just to help with physics :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending