The Student Room Group

The most boring/dull sports, what's the appeal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I find pretty much every sport except combat sports to be really dull to watch, especially ball sports; I just can't get enthusiatic about people chasing a leather ball around a field - seems utterly pointless to me.
Reply 61
Boring to YOU.

Lack of physical ability - is that the sort of answer you were looking for?
The commentary is what makes the "dull sports" brilliant, aswell as the atmosphere. The mighty Sid Wadell, and the fact that the crowd has usually had a coma-inducing level of alcohol make the entertainment in darts.

Sid Wadell - “The atmosphere is so tense, if Elvis walked in with a portion of chips, you could hear the vinegar sizzle on them."

Now, you just don't get that sort of bat-**** crazy commentary from Alan Hansen.
Reply 63
Original post by Barmy Army
Well I love watching Cricket (all forms).

This. I think people think of Test Cricket being dull just because it lasts so long. On the other hand I think of it as being very suspenseful as wickets could fall at any delivery of hundreds in the day (normally 90 overs in one day of Test cricket, so 540 deliveries right?), and they mean so much more to the swing of the game in Test matches than Twenty20's (where people basically get bowled out for fun) which are far more popular.

Twenty20's are very high octane, fast paced, while Tests are nerve-wracking. Both are very entertaining.
Reply 64
i dont watch golf or cricket on tv but to play they are great sports.

golf is one of the best sports ever.

and actually watching football can sometimes be extremely boring.
love watching rugby.
Formula one is incredibly dull, and the whine drives me mad. Golf is dull to watch as well, though I expect it's more fun to play. I love watching cricket though, it's not dull in the slightest.
Original post by ForeverOptimistic
The commentary is what makes the "dull sports" brilliant, aswell as the atmosphere. The mighty Sid Wadell, and the fact that the crowd has usually had a coma-inducing level of alcohol make the entertainment in darts.

Sid Wadell - “The atmosphere is so tense, if Elvis walked in with a portion of chips, you could hear the vinegar sizzle on them."

Now, you just don't get that sort of bat-**** crazy commentary from Alan Hansen.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Alan Hansen a pundit (a **** one) not a commentator?
You'd get that from Mick McCarthy :lol:
Reply 67
Original post by WhuTom
This. I think people think of Test Cricket being dull just because it lasts so long. On the other hand I think of it as being very suspenseful as wickets could fall at any delivery of hundreds in the day (normally 90 overs in one day of Test cricket, so 540 deliveries right?), and they mean so much more to the swing of the game in Test matches than Twenty20's (where people basically get bowled out for fun) which are far more popular.

Twenty20's are very high octane, fast paced, while Tests are nerve-wracking. Both are very entertaining.

Yeah another thing, sub continent test matches are boring especially since the flat wickets usually its all batsman, and high scoring draws which are pointless.
Reply 68
Original post by Z_Ahmed
Yeah another thing, sub continent test matches are boring especially since the flat wickets usually its all batsman, and high scoring draws which are pointless.

I guess that's one reason why India never fail to produce good batsmen, they've got the most practice on the best batting surface. Sri Lanka do well with their bowlers too though.
Reply 69
Original post by WhuTom
I guess that's one reason why India never fail to produce good batsmen, they've got the most practice on the best batting surface. Sri Lanka do well with their bowlers too though.

Yeah, sri lankan wickets are not as flat though and maybe because of a very different climate. It's not as hot as india.

Test matches in england, south africa, new zealand, australia are bound to give a decent test result... A recent example is South Africa vs India in South Africa, test match looks set for the final day.
Original post by Barden
Formula 1.

The only highlight is when a load of cars crash at the first bend.

As Jeremy Clarkson said in one of his books: "The driver rankings change more times in one lap of BTCC, than in a whole season of Formula 1"

I only ever hear people talking about F1 when they are talking about a crash or controversy. I think that if a sport can only get people talking when something goes wrong, that says something about a sport.

As for the OPs list, I agree with everything other then cricket which I actually find quite exciting and interesting. But that's only really bowling-dominated test matches.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Einheri
I find pretty much every sport except combat sports to be really dull to watch, especially ball sports; I just can't get enthusiatic about people chasing a leather ball around a field - seems utterly pointless to me.

Chasing a ball is pointless, but trying to beat up another human definitely serves a useful purpose?
Reply 72
I don't see the "dullness" in golf tbh fair enough couple of old people taking an hour to complete one hole but otherwise..
Reply 73
Original post by paddyman4
Chasing a ball is pointless, but trying to beat up another human definitely serves a useful purpose?

Yes. If you were to attack me I could restrain you, block your attacks, throw you, break your bones, rip your muscles and tendons, choke you effectively (the difference in effectiveness between a blood choke f.x. the Rear Naked Choke and strangling with hands is vast), punch you effectively without damaging myself. Why? Because I've trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo and boxing. I practice BJJ for six hours a week, Judo for four, and MMA striking for four, and I spar for about half that time. Martial arts has applications outside of sports, whereas if you train intensely in football you can . . . just kick a football.
Original post by Einheri
Yes. If you were to attack me I could restrain you, block your attacks, throw you, break your bones, rip your muscles and tendons, choke you effectively (the difference in effectiveness between a blood choke f.x. the Rear Naked Choke and strangling with hands is vast), punch you effectively without damaging myself. Why? Because I've trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo and boxing. I practice BJJ for six hours a week, Judo for four, and MMA striking for four, and I spar for about half that time. Martial arts has applications outside of sports, whereas if you train intensely in football you can . . . just kick a football.

You're missing the point. I didn't say that learning martial arts was pointless, obviously it's not. One purpose of learning martial arts is to learn how to defend yourself, and this is useful. But utilising these skills to fight someone else as entertainment for spectators does not serve a useful purpose. Therefore combat sports are as 'pointless' as ball sports. The skills required to engage in combat sports, i.e. the actual martial art skills, are not pointless. But then, neither are traits required to play football such as agility and stamina.
Anyone who doesn't like cricket obviously just has a low attention span or doesn't understand the game.. The appeal is that there is so much strategy involved, and every single ball could have so many different outcomes on the match. Plus in important games it gets so tense and exciting! I have seen just as many fantastic sessions of cricket that have more drama and excitement than football matches, and I am a massive fan of each. The Ashes is my favourite sporting spectacle, I prefer it to the football and rugby world cups and most F1 races (Monaco and Montreal are fantastic always though).
Oy, don't go dissing snooker!

As for 'dull' sports, it's subjective anyway. Same as 'dull' hobbies or 'ugly' paintings.
Reply 77
Original post by paddyman4
You're missing the point. I didn't say that learning martial arts was pointless, obviously it's not. One purpose of learning martial arts is to learn how to defend yourself, and this is useful. But utilising these skills to fight someone else as entertainment for spectators does not serve a useful purpose. Therefore combat sports are as 'pointless' as ball sports. The skills required to engage in combat sports, i.e. the actual martial art skills, are not pointless. But then, neither are traits required to play football such as agility and stamina.

Watching martial arts, whether it's UFC or Olympic Judo, amounts to watching a demonstration of applicable combat skills. For a martial artist it is educational to watch and helps improvement, whereas following football at best helps you further a useless skill. Comparing watching martial arts and football is like comparing watching a documentary to watching Eastenders.
Original post by Einheri
Watching martial arts, whether it's UFC or Olympic Judo, amounts to watching a demonstration of applicable combat skills. For a martial artist it is educational to watch and helps improvement, whereas following football at best helps you further a useless skill. Comparing watching martial arts and football is like comparing watching a documentary to watching Eastenders.

Not really, unless documentaries are only watched by people who are actively involved in the topic being examined by the documentary.

Most people who watch boxing are not doing it to further their technique, and UFC was certainly not set up to demonstrate martial arts to those trying to learn them - it was set up because some people find it entertaining to watch people to fight. It's just modern day gladiatorial fighting. You can watch UFC on TV because some people find it entertaining, and that's the same reason you can watch football on TV. Neither provides any useful value to most spectators apart from entertainment, neither has any useful purpose beyond providing entertainment.

I just think it's ridiculous to complain that football is pointless and that combat sports are not. The outcome of a football match is 22 tired men and a score; the outcome of a fight is 2 tired men, a score and a set of injuries. I think the combat sport is more pointless because people end up hurt for no reason, and the definition of a pointless activity is one that doesn't serve a useful purpose.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Formula one is incredibly dull, and the whine drives me mad. Golf is dull to watch as well, though I expect it's more fun to play. I love watching cricket though, it's not dull in the slightest.

Once you get into F1 and understand some of the behind the scenes stuff it is incredible, in my opinion the most multi layered sport out there.

Quick Reply

Latest