The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Guys, for those of you who play American football, specifically in the BUAFL, I was just wondering how much the kit; pads, helmet, gloves etc. costs? Or, presumably do you rent or borrow it from the uni?

I was just wondering, as I when I start uni in september (hopefully if I get in that it is:wink:), I want to try and join the team there...

Also, what sort of boots do you need, I've got a couple of pairs of football boots, as in our football, but I didn't know whether you need rugby boots or something?

Sorry about the 20 questions guys!
Original post by rural_boy
Guys, for those of you who play American football, specifically in the BUAFL, I was just wondering how much the kit; pads, helmet, gloves etc. costs? Or, presumably do you rent or borrow it from the uni?

I was just wondering, as I when I start uni in september (hopefully if I get in that it is:wink:), I want to try and join the team there...

Also, what sort of boots do you need, I've got a couple of pairs of football boots, as in our football, but I didn't know whether you need rugby boots or something?

Sorry about the 20 questions guys!

People did buy their own kits but I rented mine, costing about £100 if i recall. I was told that that was quite cheap for the BUAFL though, so yours could be more. Where you headed to anyway?

Also, I wore football boots. Again, more serious people bought actual cleats designed for the sport but I found football boots to do fine.
Original post by Scott129
People did buy their own kits but I rented mine, costing about £100 if i recall. I was told that that was quite cheap for the BUAFL though, so yours could be more. Where you headed to anyway?

Also, I wore football boots. Again, more serious people bought actual cleats designed for the sport but I found football boots to do fine.

Ah right thanks, yeah I think i'll rent mine then, I looked at a website where you can buy kit and some of the pads were £200 on their own, which is a tad steep!

Hopefully, I'm headed to King's College, grades depending!

Yeah I think i'll stick with the football boots i've got!
I just got pads on ebay, only spent on a helmet. Gloves are basically for fashion and linemen. Helmet is important. I'd get a neck roll cos I keep getting stingers but I play mostly DB now and I don't want to look like a total retard. So basically like, £250 overall for kit including lowers and game pants, more if you play in the box and have a weak little bitch neck like mine.
Hey guys,
I have a question about what kinda position I would be suited to in American Football? I tried looking for a more suitable thread but I guess this someone could probably answer here?

Basically, im pretty short and wide; about 5ft7 and 100kg so ive got a fair bit of weight behind me but I feel like my height might let me down especially when looking at positions which would take advantage of my weight? Id say im fairly strong, I used to do a lot of martial arts and regularly lift beer kegs (part of my bar job not just some hobby I have) but it seems like my physique is pretty in terms of positions I could play. Any ideas?
Cheers
Original post by hypercaine.
Hey guys,
I have a question about what kinda position I would be suited to in American Football? I tried looking for a more suitable thread but I guess this someone could probably answer here?

Basically, im pretty short and wide; about 5ft7 and 100kg so ive got a fair bit of weight behind me but I feel like my height might let me down especially when looking at positions which would take advantage of my weight? Id say im fairly strong, I used to do a lot of martial arts and regularly lift beer kegs (part of my bar job not just some hobby I have) but it seems like my physique is pretty in terms of positions I could play. Any ideas?
Cheers

Probably running back. Your height won't be too much of an issue and you have the weight to be a sort of power running back. I think you are probably just a tiny bit to small to play defensive back (5'9/5'10 + seems good for those positions).
Original post by hypercaine.
Hey guys,

Cheers

Yeah I'd probably say running back would probably be best, depending on how quickly you can shift!

Other than that I think you would be pretty suited to any defensive position as well!
Lineman at probably 90% of BUAFL teams.
NFL pretty quiet at the moment. OTAs chugging along nicely for the Patriots.

Can't wait for the season though!
Reply 4109
Original post by The Patriot

agreed time of year when things tick over for many teams

must admit im glad that the tebow sanchez drama hasnt been to over the top...relatively speaking at least
Original post by The Patriot

The off-season just goes on for way too long. Is there a reason that it pans out that way? Couldn't they space it out a bit more like have a couple weeks break halfway through?
any Detroit Lions fans here?
cmon you bears!!
Recently fell in love with this sport!
Favorite player has to be Desean Jackson for the eagles best punt returner and one of the fastest players in the NFL also like Chad Ochocinco. Dont exactly support a team but i love watching the packers, 49ers and the giants!!!

Just really dont understand how the draft works :confused:
Original post by dwalshe727
any Detroit Lions fans here?

first ever nfl related clip i saw was chad ochocinco saying something along the lines of "i thank god every morning that i dont play for the lions". The way that had me laughing
Original post by fuze-mo25
first ever nfl related clip i saw was chad ochocinco saying something along the lines of "i thank god every morning that i dont play for the lions". The way that had me laughing

I bet Ocho would love to play for the Lions this year after he gets cut by the Patriots. There's a real chance he'll be out of the league.
Original post by shunter7634
I bet Ocho would love to play for the Lions this year after he gets cut by the Patriots. There's a real chance he'll be out of the league.

not if he starts playing like he used to play for the bengals. He has the potential to do great

Just really dont understand how the draft works :confused:

Basically there is a feeder system for the NFL, college football. At the end of the season the teams are ranked in reverse order by their performance. With the worst team being 1st and the Super Bowl winner being last. The draft is basically where NFL teams pick these players out of college, in the order I stated earlier. There are 32 teams, so each round of the draft has 32 picks. There are also 7 rounds to the draft, so 7 rounds of 32 picks. In each round the team with the worst record has the 1st pick and the Super Bowl winner has the last pick (32nd pick). This in turn means that the worst team from last year gets to pick the better players coming out of college as they pick at the start of the draft. This in theory keeps the league pretty even, but in reality drafting players is not an exact science. Players picked really high up in the draft can turn out useless and players pick late in the draft could become superstars.

Teams can also trade their draft picks with other teams for players or another combination of picks.

The Lions used to be a horrible team, first team ever to lose all 16 games in a season. However as they had a run of such bad seasons they consistently got to pick at the top of the draft as I explained earlier, so got their pick of the best players. They have built a pretty good team and were one of the best teams last year and are also looking good for this upcoming season.
Original post by fudgesundae
Basically there is a feeder system for the NFL, college football. At the end of the season the teams are ranked in reverse order by their performance. With the worst team being 1st and the Super Bowl winner being last. The draft is basically where NFL teams pick these players out of college, in the order I stated earlier. There are 32 teams, so each round of the draft has 32 picks. There are also 7 rounds to the draft, so 7 rounds of 32 picks. In each round the team with the worst record has the 1st pick and the Super Bowl winner has the last pick (32nd pick). This in turn means that the worst team from last year gets to pick the better players coming out of college as they pick at the start of the draft. This in theory keeps the league pretty even, but in reality drafting players is not an exact science. Players picked really high up in the draft can turn out useless and players pick late in the draft could become superstars.

Teams can also trade their draft picks with other teams for players or another combination of picks.

The Lions used to be a horrible team, first team ever to lose all 16 games in a season. However as they had a run of such bad seasons they consistently got to pick at the top of the draft as I explained earlier, so got their pick of the best players. They have built a pretty good team and were one of the best teams last year and are also looking good for this upcoming season.

oh I kinda knew how it worked ... But is the draft just for college players? Was confused I thought the team loses all its players n has to pick all over again lol thanks for the help.
And yh I like how college students are picked. Unlike the premier league here were they just buy foreign players without bothering with the kids here. And then wondering why they don't win anything on the international level
oh I kinda knew how it worked ... But is the draft just for college players? Was confused I thought the team loses all its players n has to pick all over again lol thanks for the help.

Yep it is for college players, you don't have to have gone to college to play in the NFL though. It is just the easiest way to get noticed. I think the requirement to play in the NFL is that you must be 3 years out of high school.

And yh I like how college students are picked. Unlike the premier league here were they just buy foreign players without bothering with the kids here. And then wondering why they don't win anything on the international level

A system like that wouldn't work in the premier league. We don't have a proper feeder system where players go to university and are then selected from there. You can have players signed up by clubs at 7 or 8 and then put through the youth system.

American football started as an amateur collegiate sport then developed into a professional sport, so it already had the necessary feeder system in place.

Latest