The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'll believe Favre isn't going to play again when he is dead. I hope, and I do think, that this time he does just walk away. Despite his shenanigans of the last couple of years, he will remain one of the greats and one of the premiere competitiors in any sport. I guess that's why he can't walk away. He just adores getting the hit extremely hard, and for that it will always have my respect.
I'm a 9ers fan, and that's all I have to say about that.
Play DB.
Original post by JAKstriked
I'm a 9ers fan, and that's all I have to say about that.
Play DB.

Good win for you guys the other day.

Wow! Jags fans are not happy on Facebook about the team sticking with Jack Del Rio. I can understand it to a degree since these guys probably pay to go and see the team all season and with only one play-off appearance in eight years they feel let down, but I'm happy to keep him. This season was an improvement and, considering I don't think the Jags have a very good set of players, I think he does a good job. If there's no play-offs next season then I wouldn't complain about him going, but I like his approach to the game and his gambling mentality.
Reply 163
Original post by TheMagicRat

Wow! Jags fans are not happy on Facebook about the team sticking with Jack Del Rio. I can understand it to a degree since these guys probably pay to go and see the team all season and with only one play-off appearance in eight years they feel let down, but I'm happy to keep him. This season was an improvement and, considering I don't think the Jags have a very good set of players, I think he does a good job. If there's no play-offs next season then I wouldn't complain about him going, but I like his approach to the game and his gambling mentality.

Have to agree.

Hell, you guys get a decent QB/WR in the next draft, I'll be concerned about our Playoff streak.

Eventually :colonhash:
Reply 164
I think it' a shame when people don't give it him. He did his time and the whole thing was blown out of proportion by the media at the time, as usual. They made out like nobody would ever want him, but in time people, thankfully, are more forgiving then the media give them credit.

He's been phenomenal this season and he earned his starting position. It wasn't as though he was just handed the starting role. Given his past, I guess the Eagles played it all right from a PR stand-point. By not automatically making him the starter it may have quelled any voices of discontent amongst the fans, which I assume were, and some still are, there.

Aye, many people have done much worse and been allowed to carry on. I'm not condoning what he did at all, but he deserved his second chance and boy has he taken it. I would never have said he'd be starting in the Pro Bowl, does just show what a great player he is.

I have wondered throughout the year whether Eagles had the intentions to stick with Kolb at QB or it was just lucky that Vick did get a chance to play against Green Bay, who knows.

It was, but bad timing for the win. The pick at 5 instead of 7 wouldn't have hurt and it's so typical of Alex Smith's career; showing irritating moments of good play. If he had just thrown 3/17 with 4ints we could happily let him go and say, yes he was a bust, nothing to do with the franchise. I mean he plays ultra-conservative all year, checking down like Trent Edwards with playoffs still a possibility at 5-9, and then as soon as it doesn't matter, he's slinging it all over the field putting up the best game of his season. Maybe it is down to the coach cuz Davis said earlier how the players were scared of Singletary.

Ah well, get Harbaugh, trade for first pick in the draft and take Andrew Luck.
Original post by Attlee_party
Anyone that follows the rams, if it wasn't for jackson you'd be nowhere. Not that jackson is anything major. :tongue:

Correction : steven jackson is the best power running back in the NFL

and the rams have gone from 1st pick to almost playoffs. And they're actually better than the seahawks. They have had a great season. I'm mighty impressed!
Original post by Swell
AFC - Pats v Indy

NFC - Eagles v Falcons

SB - Pats v Eagles

If we can get a win over the Cowboys Sunday and keep Vick fighting fit, i think we'll go all the way. And hopefully it won't be the same result as in 05. :smile:

Things have changed since my last post so here I go with new predictions.

AFC: Steelers @ Pats

In the first wildcard game Chiefs host Ravens. And the ravens are flat our better. Their stout run D stops jamaal charles and ravens win and go to patriots. Then (ofc) we beat the ravens at home and go to the championship game. In the other wildcard game colts host jets. Jets are too sporadic on offense to win this. Colts will put up good points totals and will win. Steelers can outscore colts by slowing down manning with their ace defense.

NFC: Packers @ Saints (I don't know who would host it if both teams were wildcard teams. Presumably saints with a better record)

first wildcard game is packers beating the bears (again). Then they go to falcons because their seeding is lower than the saints (who obviously beat the seahawks). Packers beat the falcons and saints beat the eagles (vick has had two weeks off by this point and doesn't play that well).

SB: Pats 30-24 Packers

And Tom Brady is anointed the greatest quarterback of all time leaving peyton manning crying into his wheaties!! Oh yeah :smile:
Original post by S129439
Things have changed since my last post so here I go with new predictions.

AFC: Steelers @ Pats

In the first wildcard game Chiefs host Ravens. And the ravens are flat our better. Their stout run D stops jamaal charles and ravens win and go to patriots. Then (ofc) we beat the ravens at home and go to the championship game. In the other wildcard game colts host jets. Jets are too sporadic on offense to win this. Colts will put up good points totals and will win. Steelers can outscore colts by slowing down manning with their ace defense.

NFC: Packers @ Saints (I don't know who would host it if both teams were wildcard teams. Presumably saints with a better record)

first wildcard game is packers beating the bears (again). Then they go to falcons because their seeding is lower than the saints (who obviously beat the seahawks). Packers beat the falcons and saints beat the eagles (vick has had two weeks off by this point and doesn't play that well).

SB: Pats 30-24 Packers

And Tom Brady is anointed the greatest quarterback of all time leaving peyton manning crying into his wheaties!! Oh yeah :smile:

Isn't the winner of Ravens vs Cheifs playing the Steelers in the next round?

I thought the Patriots are up against the lowest-seeded wild card round team (i.e Jets)

Either way, I also think it'll be a Steelers-Patriots AFC Championship game.....C'mon Steelers !
My Jets-loving friend gave me quite a convincing speech at New Year's about how they're built as a playoff team, and should do far better than their current record suggests. I think its interesting how this year's Jets are in many ways the opposite of the Patriots - the Jets have star players all over the field, the only real weak point in their team is Sanchez, whereas the Patriots have a field of nobodies and an unstoppable Brady. The difference is that so far Brady's been winning the games that matter where the Jets can't.

Hope the Eagles win as well, it'll be such an anti-climax if Vick's grand return is brought down in the first week of playoffs, but I think it should be a pretty safe game.

My predictions for this weekend are Jets, Ravens, Eagles, and Saints.
Original post by Unknown-User
Isn't the winner of Ravens vs Cheifs playing the Steelers in the next round?

I thought the Patriots are up against the lowest-seeded wild card round team (i.e Jets)

Either way, I also think it'll be a Steelers-Patriots AFC Championship game.....C'mon Steelers !

Yes very good point. I mis-read the seedings on nfl.com :/ my bad :biggrin:

So yeah. Ravens beat chiefs and go to Pittsburgh and lose there instead. Colts beat Jets and come to new england where they lose to us instead :L

Either way it's Patriots vs Steelers. By far the two best AFC teams.

I actually like this version a bit better. Patriots vs Colts would be a shootout and pats vs jets (if jets won) would be a great rivalry! tie-breaker on the season.

As for Ravens and Steelers, well that is always a great game.
Original post by S129439
Yes very good point. I mis-read the seedings on nfl.com :/ my bad :biggrin:

So yeah. Ravens beat chiefs and go to Pittsburgh and lose there instead. Colts beat Jets and come to new england where they lose to us instead :L

Either way it's Patriots vs Steelers. By far the two best AFC teams.

I actually like this version a bit better. Patriots vs Colts would be a shootout and pats vs jets (if jets won) would be a great rivalry! tie-breaker on the season.

As for Ravens and Steelers, well that is always a great game.

Yup, agree with everything said there.

Ravens @ Heinz Field will be a great game as usual, although whenever they do come, the combination of Suggs and Lewis on Defence always cause a problem. I'm just hoping our O-line can hold them off, and let Ben do what he does best......give it to Wallace :biggrin: hah
I'm a Steelers fan :biggrin: Think it would be pretty interesting to see them play the pats in the AFC championship. Obv like to see Steelers in the superbowl though I enjoy it either way, just as long as the Jets don't get there. I hate the jets :P
Original post by Reagan Smash
I'm a Steelers fan :biggrin: Think it would be pretty interesting to see them play the pats in the AFC championship. Obv like to see Steelers in the superbowl though I enjoy it either way, just as long as the Jets don't get there. I hate the jets :P

Ben Rapesberger is a quality QB. Steelers vs Patriots would be an amazing game. If the Steelers have Troy Polamalu playing I really think the Steelers could beat us. I think right now they are the biggest threat to the Patriots. They have a deep threat in Mike Wallace, a run threat in mendenhall and a good QB and O-line. They also have a bumper defense with a hawk secondary. Scary times. I think it's a shootout whether we play steelers or colts.

And who doesn't hate the jets? I mean seriously.
Seems everyone's talking about Steelers vs. Ravens. Am I the only one going with the Chiefs? I think Ravens-Chiefs is the most intriguing game in the coming week. There are a fair few questions for both teams. For me, though, the Ravens aren't good enough at protecting Flacco and with a very good pass rushing team in the Chiefs, they could be in trouble. The Ravens have to stop Tamba Hali, who I imagine will be sent on the pass rush quite a lot.

The big question for the Chiefs is about Cassel, especially since his drop in form. I'm not too sure he will have a big game, but I think he will be able to do, and will do, what's necessary. Also, the fact it's in Kansas City is a factor. If it was in Baltimore I would've probably gone with the Ravens, but the Chiefs are 7-1 at home.
AFC Colts ftw.
Then Kansas City. Then Jets, then Ravens, then Steelers . I hope the Patriots lose at all costs.

NFC Bears, Eagles, Hawks, Falcons, Pack and again I hope the Saints lose.

I want the Seahawks to win the superbowl just so they get a poor draft pick, people stop ripping on the NFC West and for the comic value.
(edited 13 years ago)
AFC Colts ftw.
Then Kansas City. Then Steelers, then Jets, then Ravens. I hope the Patriots lose at all costs.

I want the Seahawks to win the superbowl just so they get a poor draft pick, people stop ripping on the NFC West and for the comic value.

Nothing will stop people ripping on the NFC West. The Cardinals almost won the SuperBowl two years ago with a 9-7 regular season record and they were still getting ripped. A 7-9 team deserves a ripping. Good luck to them and I hope they do well, but it is a bit of a joke when a 7-9 team gets in and two 10-6 teams are out. I know that's the way the NFL operates, but it doesn't make it any less ludicrous.

If you're not at least .500 then I don't really think you should be in the play-offs, but under the current rules I can't complain. The thing is it only takes a decent team in that division and they should get a winning record because you play the other three waffle teams twice. The fact that none of them could manage .500 just shows how much of a joke they all are, with the possible exception of the Rams, who actually had a good year since they are rebuilding pretty much everything.
(edited 13 years ago)
Seems everyone's talking about Steelers vs. Ravens. Am I the only one going with the Chiefs? I think Ravens-Chiefs is the most intriguing game in the coming week. There are a fair few questions for both teams. For me, though, the Ravens aren't good enough at protecting Flacco and with a very good pass rushing team in the Chiefs, they could be in trouble. The Ravens have to stop Tamba Hali, who I imagine will be sent on the pass rush quite a lot.

The big question for the Chiefs is about Cassel, especially since his drop in form. I'm not too sure he will have a big game, but I think he will be able to do, and will do, what's necessary. Also, the fact it's in Kansas City is a factor. If it was in Baltimore I would've probably gone with the Ravens, but the Chiefs are 7-1 at home.

The Chiefs will lose I think. Because like you said Matt Cassel's form has dropped as of late and the Ravens have a strong secondary. Also a stout run D will stop Jamaal Charles. The Ravens are proven in play-off football whereas the Chiefs aren't.

Also, the Chiefs have only beaten one play-off team all season (The Seahawks.). Their wins have come from poor teams.
AFC Colts ftw.
Then Kansas City. Then Steelers, then Jets, then Ravens. I hope the Patriots lose at all costs.

Why want the pats to lose :frown:?
Reply 179
Nothing will stop people ripping on the NFC West. The Cardinals almost won the SuperBowl two years ago with a 9-7 regular season record and they were still getting ripped. A 7-9 team deserves a ripping. Good luck to them and I hope they do well, but it is a bit of a joke when a 7-9 team gets in and two 10-6 teams are out. I know that's the way the NFL operates, but it doesn't make it any less ludicrous.

If you're not at least .500 then I don't really think you should be in the play-offs, but under the current rules I can't complain. The thing is it only takes a decent team in that division and they should get a winning record because you play the other three waffle teams twice. The fact that none of them could manage .500 just shows how much of a joke they all are, with the possible exception of the Rams, who actually had a good year since they are rebuilding pretty much everything.

The Seahawks deserve their shot.
It's fine to say "Oh what about the Giants and Tampa!" but fact is, had they won other games, they'd be there.
I might put a cheeky £5 on the Seahawks to pull an upset, 5-1 for a playoff game, ****'s crazzzzyyyyy.

Latest