The Student Room Group

The Norwegian Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Luceria
Of course there are stupid and ignorant people everywhere. That's why I said "some". And that thread is not the first time I've come across an attitude like that. They must be pretty stupid if they can't realise they're European.

Seriously? If so, what an idiot. Every educated Norwegian knows Scandinavia is Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Can't have paid attention in school.

Yup, it's a very stupid position to take. I think the issue is that a lot of people don't want to be in the EU and so try to distance themselves from Europe as a whole.

Yup again, she looked about my age too. I think she was student as well, if so . . . *ULTIMATE FACEPALM*
Reply 181
Original post by Luceria
I'm not very into Norwegian music, but I love Helene Bøksle. Anyone else heard of her?

She's great, reminds me a lot of a Danish band called Sorten Muld (who sing in Danish and actually make it not sound like someone being strangled, and it's quite easy to understand too):

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 182

Favourite Norwegian song atm.
Reply 183
Original post by Luceria
Never heard of him. Not my taste at all, haha.

Not what I listen to generally, but it's a fun song and at least it's in Norwegian (even though it's with a caribbean accent lololol). Apparently he talks like he sings as well :mmm:
Reply 184
Original post by Becca

Favourite Norwegian song atm.

Not sure if serious . . . :confused:

And please don't tell me that white guy is the singer. *facepalm*
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 185
Original post by Luceria
"Nattergalen" is another beautiful song by Helene Bøksle!

And I've gone all Sauron on my profile, haha.

I've spent today listening to her on youtube. Beautiful voice and she's really purdy too :love:.

You've got central heterochromia too. I have the same but blue eyes with a green ring in the centre. *high five for being mutants*
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 186
Original post by Luceria
Nice! I think she's really pretty as well. :^_^:.. I thought she said my name in the song, but obviously it was "lind".

Spoiler

I had to look up central heterochromia! But yes, I like my hazel eyes! They change colour depending on the lighting. Sometimes really green, sometime yellow like cat eyes.

Mutants? Cool, lol. Though I guess everyone with hazel eyes have central heterochromia? Or maybe not. I need to read some more.

Interesting, I always thought that was a very Swedish name, never known a Norwegian to be called it before. Could be, we'll have to all stay on your good side then (if lind means what I think it means).

I don't know, I thought it was quite rare to have a ring of different colour in your eyes. And I thought I was special . . . :mad:
Reply 187
Original post by Luceria
It's a common female name in Sweden and Norway. Late 80's- early 90's it was one of the most popular female names in Norway. (And I'm a 1991 baby).. The meaning of Linn is supposed to be "mild".
http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linn

Haha. I'm a little confused about central heterochromia. Yes, I'd like to be special too!:tongue: I have a dark blue/greenish ring around my eye, then green, then yellowish brown ring. The rest of my family
has blue eyes. So I'm the only with a different eye colour. Some seem to think blue eyed eyed parents can't have hazel eyed children :s-smilie:. (which is of course rubbish.)

Ah, sorry, I thought you meant your name came from 'lind' and I misunderstood the meaning - in Old Norse Lind can, poetically, mean spear or shield and so I said "better keep on your good side". I got confuzzled.

I think you have to have an ancestor with that colour, I'm not sure. Interestingly my dad has blue eyes and my mum has green, so I guess my blue eyes with a green ring is something I got from both of them. I have no idea though, I'm probably talking rubbish.
Reply 188
Original post by Luceria
Really? I just thought it was the name of a tree... I don't know. Haha, that's alright.
Interesting. Yes, and I like how this turned into a conversation about genetics, lol. I'm pretty sure I have central heterochromia.

I was also able to predict how tall I'd be by that "how tall were you at two years old" or whatever method. Quite cool! Though I think I might have mentioned that.

It is. Linden (English name) trees produce light but sturdy wood and so were perfect materials for making shields and spear shafts.

How does that work? I've heard something about getting the mean of your parents' height and then multiplying it by, I think, 1.1 and you should get something close to your height.
Reply 189
Original post by Luceria
Oh, right.

I found a link here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tools/child_height_calculator/.. But I didn't get the same result with that link at all.

I read that a two year old toddler is her/his half adult height. When I was two years old, I was 84 cm. 84+84 = 168 cm. And I'm 171.5 cm. (won't grow anymore, obviously)

Hmm, I'm not sure how tall I was but I remember being shorter than everyone else until I was about 13 and my mum has said that I was a small child. I'm 185cm now, so maybe it's true generally but with some exceptions?

Also 314th NorSoc post! :biggrin:
Reply 190
Original post by Luceria
I looked at the wrong height So when you look at my post now, it fits very well!
I've always wanted to be 172 cm.

Maybe you should check your height in the morning, as you will generally be a couple cm lower in the evening due to gravity :wink:
Reply 191
Original post by Einheri
Not sure if serious . . . :confused:

And please don't tell me that white guy is the singer. *facepalm*

Totally serious. He is the singer! What's wrong with that?
Reply 192
Original post by Luceria
:awesome:.. And to make this post Norway related. I read that the average height for women in Norway is 5'6. Which makes sense to me. 5'7 is average. (hears the sobs of insecure males on TSR).

I thought it would be slightly taller than that. In Oslo, at least, 5'8" seemed about average but then I suppose taller women are more noticeable just by virtue of being physically bigger so it could just be that.

Original post by Becca
Totally serious. He is the singer! What's wrong with that?

Honestly, a white guy singing reggae-style in Norwegian with a fake Carribean accent is one of the most bizarre and ridiculous things I've ever heard of. It's quite surreal.
Reply 193
Original post by Einheri

Honestly, a white guy singing reggae-style in Norwegian with a fake Carribean accent is one of the most bizarre and ridiculous things I've ever heard of. It's quite surreal.

Well, that's his actual accent, so why shouldn't he sing like that? He's from Zambia originally and moved to Norway as a kid. Why should the colour of one's skin have any effect on the style of music you perform and voice someone sings in?

:s-smilie:
Reply 194
Original post by Luceria
The UK was rather far down.

Yeah, I think that's probably due to the huge population of malnourished chavs who were raised on nothing but chips and crisps. If you look at people who were fed properly growing up then 5'10" seems to probably be about average for a man. The Nordic countries, I think, have the best diets in the world generally (except all the frozen pizzas).

Original post by Becca
Well, that's his actual accent, so why shouldn't he sing like that? He's from Zambia originally and moved to Norway as a kid. Why should the colour of one's skin have any effect on the style of music you perform and voice someone sings in?

:s-smilie:

It just sounds silly, and looks even sillier.
Reply 195
Original post by Einheri

It just sounds silly, and looks even sillier.

Pretty prejudiced approach if you ask me.
Reply 196
Original post by Becca
Pretty prejudiced approach if you ask me.

:rolleyes:
Reply 197
Original post by Einheri
To be fair there are stupid, ignorant people everywhere. I've actually had a Norwegian girl tell me that because Denmark isn't geographically Scandinavian then neither are Southern Swedes because they used to be Danish, and that neither are Northern Swedes because "they're basically just Finns" and so the only true Scandinavians are Norwegians and then only if they're blonde (I'm seriously not kidding). Hmmm . . .

Dude, you posted this. It just seems to be massively in conflict with you posting that you don't think a white Norwegian can sing reggae music.
Reply 198
Original post by Becca
Dude, you posted this. It just seems to be massively in conflict with you posting that you don't think a white Norwegian can sing reggae music.

I didn't say they can't and if they want to then they can by all means go ahead and do so. I just find it somewhat ridiculous, especially considering the fake accent (that most definately is not Zambian btw, southern African English is all heavily influenced by South African English and sounds more or less identical).

Original post by Luceria
Nasty chavs! Yes, that might be somewhat true.. .And I don't get why people love Grandiosa or frozen pizza that much. I think Grandiosa tastes like cardboard.

Yeah, I have to admit to having had the odd Grandiosa here and there when I was too lazy to cook. I have to defend Grandiosa though - it doesn't just taste like cardboard; there's processed cheese flavour in there as well.
Reply 199
Original post by Luceria
Haha, indeed. Ever visited Peppes Pizza etc? 200 kr for a simple pizza, pretty much. Not even that good! Eating out in Norway sucks. "Proper" restaurants are worse. And Norwegian McDonalds is the most expensive
McDonalds in the world. I visit that place very rarely, but still.. !

I found that out the expensive way - the first time I went there I ordered a large Big Mac meal without checking the price. I think it cost me about 170 kr. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply