The Student Room Group

Will Access apps' miss out in the rush to beat fee increase?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm not sure how reading that mature/different background students may have a slight advantage, due to these circumstances, would cause someone to mess up their application? I think everybody applying understands the importance of a strong application, and anybody that would make less of an effort with it because of reading a theory like that probably doesn't have much common sense.
Reply 21
Original post by Yorksoul
I have read several articles in the press regarding the rush of applications to beat the fee increase.
What worries me is that applications from access courses will be bottom of the pile.

An addmissions tutor I spoke to two weeks ago all but confirmed this and told me she would select A levels over access and as the course was already oversubscribed she doubted if any access course applications would be considered.

This news was a massive blow and I wondered if anyone else has any similar experience of this.

Worried

Yorksoul

Hope this thread helped ease your mind Yorksoul. Sorry its being hijacked. I'm leaving this alone before it gets worse.

Good luck with your application!
Reply 22
Original post by ½+½

Original post by ½+½
I'm not sure how reading that mature/different background students may have a slight advantage, due to these circumstances, would cause someone to mess up their application? I think everybody applying understands the importance of a strong application, and anybody that would make less of an effort with it because of reading a theory like that probably doesn't have much common sense.

Someone will read it and make more risky choices, because they think they have an advantage that does not exist. Or someone may change their course choice to one that they think will be easier to get in to. You only have to read the UCAS forum in the summer to realise that these problems do exist.
Reply 23
Original post by Juno
Someone will read it and make more risky choices, because they think they have an advantage that does not exist. Or someone may change their course choice to one that they think will be easier to get in to. You only have to read the UCAS forum in the summer to realise that these problems do exist.

I think this thread is more about people trying to stay positive in a very difficult & competitve environment.

Being an older student with an Access qualification will make your application stand out from the crowd of school leavers with A-levels.
Whether that is an advantage or disadvantage really depends on so many factors.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that most mature students are well...... mature enough to make their own mind up, apply for a sensible selection of courses and not change their application on the basis of forum gossip.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending