The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Helloooooo
I am resitting! Ugh, whole class got undermarked... same situation nationwide by the looks of things! Idiots at AQA.
Anyway, what are the 'aspects of narrative' that you are revising from? Is it like, character, language, setting, etc..? Does anybody have a list of them? If so, that would be great :smile: Thanks! And good luck everybody! :smile: :/
Reply 81
Original post by LizCW
Helloooooo
I am resitting! Ugh, whole class got undermarked... same situation nationwide by the looks of things! Idiots at AQA.
Anyway, what are the 'aspects of narrative' that you are revising from? Is it like, character, language, setting, etc..? Does anybody have a list of them? If so, that would be great :smile: Thanks! And good luck everybody! :smile: :/

The 6 official ones from the AQA textbook are:

Time and Sequence

Voices in Text

Points of View

Scenes and Places

Characterisation

Destination

Original post by Popat21
I get why you're worried. I am too. If AQA cost me my place I think I'll cry.

STUDY THE MARK SCHEME!!!

And I don't just mean read it, I mean analyse it, pick it apart to death and memorise it. I got a D at AS and after I studied the mark scheme for AS and A2 I came out with an A for Modern Lit A AQA (I know it's slightly different, but same exam board).

I'm serious when I say that's basically the only way to pass. For my A2 I was running out of time and had a choice between writing a bloody good essay or trying to hit as many of AQA's stupidly excessive targets as possible. I chose the latter. I knew it was an awful essay, I wouldn't have given myself much above a C. But I did what they wanted and got the grade. That's my advice to you, play their game, there's no other way to do it.
Reply 83
I just found this on the AQA website, go to page 26 and they have an overall markscheme:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2745-W-SP-10.PDF

Any idea what the grade boundaries are?

I'm really not looking forward to this exam.
Reply 84
Original post by Sweet_Heart
That's my advice to you, play their game, there's no other way to do it.

You make it sound so scary! D:
Reply 85
So I know what each of the 4 AOs are but what AOs are for which question? Is question B: 1, 3 and 4 with question A: 2?
Reply 86
Original post by dyhtps
So I know what each of the 4 AOs are but what AOs are for which question? Is question B: 1, 3 and 4 with question A: 2?

Section A

a) AO2
b) AO1, 3 and 4

Section B

AO1, 2 and 3
Reply 87
Im resittingg English Lit B. I was predicted an A but i was so stupid and I did the wrong qs in Part A the first time - I did a qs based on my book when it was actually about another book :mad: I got a C in the exam but because i got an A in my coursework, I got a B overall but i still need to resit..

Im quite annoyedd at myself cause resittingg English as well takes so much to learn everything again.

The texts we learnst are The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Tennyson's poems.

Can anyone predict any qs so i can practice them??
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Popat21
They mean the voice of the narrator. Which texts are you doing so then I can quote examples?

I am doing Hardy (my main text), Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Roy's The God of Small Things and Tennyson. Thanks!!!
Reply 89
Original post by tripodd

Original post by tripodd
No worries, gl with the exam. :]

thanks for the help...all the best for you too:biggrin:
Reply 90
Original post by tripodd
The 6 official ones from the AQA textbook are:

Time and Sequence

Voices in Text

Points of View

Scenes and Places

Characterisation

Destination

Thank you thats really helpful! I don't have the textbook :P
Reply 91
Original post by SarahLamb30
I am doing Hardy (my main text), Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Roy's The God of Small Things and Tennyson. Thanks!!!

Aah I haven't read any of those texts but I'll try to explain it.

Narrative voice is the voice used to narrate the text. You'd mention things like inadequate narration, stream of consciousness, omniscient narrators, intrusive narrators and their opinions and how you know that they narrate in this style.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!
Reply 92
I did gatsby for Section A last year :s-smilie: lol
I revised everything in full detail except chapter 9 :colondollar: which I took a quick look at as I ran out of time....

I'm doing spider diagrams for all the chapters/poems, and highlighting my copy of Rime that I printed from the net, and I did a practise essay...

Hopefully I'll get higher than a C this time....

I don't know why 'm even resitting, because I dropped it for A2, as it was my weakest AS level :cry:
but my teachers were predicting me at least a B, that's what i hope to get from my resit :yep:
Reply 93
Original post by Nesselphie
I did gatsby for Section A last year :s-smilie: lol
I revised everything in full detail except chapter 9 :colondollar: which I took a quick look at as I ran out of time....

I'm doing spider diagrams for all the chapters/poems, and highlighting my copy of Rime that I printed from the net, and I did a practise essay...

Hopefully I'll get higher than a C this time....

I'm crossing my fingers for Chapter 8 to come up for Gatsby! It's got so much to say about. For Chapter 1, 2 and 6 I'm struggling with :frown:
Reply 94
Does anyone here know any websites or anything that have sample essays that would get an A in this exam? Really don't know what to include to get a high grade - stressing out! :smile:
Reply 95
Original post by esachica
I'm crossing my fingers for Chapter 8 to come up for Gatsby! It's got so much to say about. For Chapter 1, 2 and 6 I'm struggling with :frown:

Chapter 7 is the best for me (the way that Fitzgerald depicts Myrtle's death and the lead upto that, with the use of the weather as a pathetic fallacy :yep: )
Reply 96
Original post by Nesselphie
Chapter 7 is the best for me (the way that Fitzgerald depicts Myrtle's death and the lead upto that, with the use of the weather as a pathetic fallacy :yep: )

Ah yes! There's that one too! Though it was the specimen question so I'm not sure if it'll come up. Do you have any notes on it though?
Reply 97
Ah yes! There's that one too! Though it was the specimen question so I'm not sure if it'll come up. Do you have any notes on it though?

I don't have any notes I could type up, but i always find that because of the way the chapter is split up, it's easy to navigate and find quotes to write about :smile:

I hope it comes up... there's so much to write about!
Reply 98

I think I'd just about manage 1 but I'd hate 2 to come up. I need to go over the other chapters again though. I think I'd be okay with chapter 8.
Reply 99
Original post by nerd123
Does anyone here know any websites or anything that have sample essays that would get an A in this exam? Really don't know what to include to get a high grade - stressing out! :smile:

I don't think anyone does to be honest, including some of the examiners. I know some who got their grade E paper remarked and got an A...
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending