The Student Room Group

Men better than women?

I've always been one for gender equality and believe there should be equal rights and no discrimination between genders.

Often when this question of man vs woman was asked whilst emphasising man having more contributions to society, more discoveries etc. I always used to say that this has been the case because women have been socially oppressed in the earlier centuries and weren't given the same opportunities to make a difference and achieve all those things so it's not a fair comparison.

Now my question is, WHY was that the case? Why were men dominant and held more importance in the social hierarchy for thousands of years? As in, how did it get to that stage...is the answer that men were 'better' than woman and so were able to establish that dominance and therefore earning that right to have more opportunities and be first in line?

When human beings first started out there weren't any social conventions or gender inequality, it was a clean slate so it's not like the female species started out at a disadvantage being socially oppressed from the very minute of their existence.

Is it a case of men establishing that they were naturally better and society/social dynamics evolved in a way that gave them the top step? It's not like they were handed their right to be the 'better' gender on a plate, surely it's because they earned it by demonstrating that it is indeed the case?

I'd just like to point out I'm not saying that men are better than woman, nor am I trying to cause trouble with a debate that I'm sure has gone on long enough on here. I'm just trying to establish the reasons behind women being socially oppressed and therefore not being able to demonstrate their abilities as a gender.

Please share your views...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
men are ****heads :mad:
Reply 2
As most feminist writers have highlighted, women over the ages have been completely complicit in their own downfall. Women are physiologically different from men, they are never going to be happy with the same set of values and the same place in all of societies strands.
Reply 3
Fair points, unfortunate title.
Reply 4

Women ARE better than men...

Spoiler

Reply 5
Original post by amsie/

So that's one girl who discredits her own gender by posting something laughably ridiculous. Any more...?
Reply 6
without women there would be no men
Reply 7
Original post by Imperatore
So that's one girl who discredits her own gender by posting something laughably ridiculous. Any more...?

haha fine, well you know sometimes female scientist did the discoveries and men took the credit... :smile:
Original post by Imperatore
IWhen human beings first started out there weren't any social conventions or gender inequality, it was a clean slate so it's not like the female species started out at a disadvantage being socially oppressed from the very minute of their existence.

Isnt that assuming humans just popped out of nowhere? They didnt just magically appear fully formed and ready for action.

Its probably harder being a woman. Imagine bleeding from your penis every month:eek: So i dont think we are in any position to say who is better.
Is the Pope Catholic?
Original post by Meghaan

Without men there would be no women
Reply 11
Original post by Meghaan

Without men there would be no women!!

Adam gave up a rib for you bitches.
Original post by amsie/

Original post by amsie/
haha fine, well you know sometimes female scientist did the discoveries and men took the credit... :smile:

Source?
Reply 14
Original post by amsie/

women are ****heads

see what I did there
Reply 15
Original post by Kerny
women are ****heads

see what I did there

yup... the epitome of wit :wink:
Women give birth to men, so there wouldn't be men w/o women.

Evolutionary wise. Also men are actually females as foetuses. They become male when testosterone is added. Badly constructed sentences.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by BambieWambie
Women give birth to men, so there wouldn't be men w/o women.

Evolutionary wise. Also men are actually females as foetuses. They become male when testosterone is added. Badly constructed sentences.

Men give sperm to women, so there wouldnt be women without men :biggrin: see what i did there
Reply 18
Well OP you seem to be missing the fact that men are genetically physically superior, in general (and would have been much more so the case when mankind first began). So obviously, men just literally and physically took the dominant role. There should indeed be a gender equality in today's society, but please it really really pisses me off when people even try to argue then men are not physically dominant, which is obviously the cause for it.
Reply 19
Original post by edd360
Well OP you seem to be missing the fact that men are genetically physically superior, in general (and would have been much more so the case when mankind first began). So obviously, men just literally and physically took the dominant role. There should indeed be a gender equality in today's society, but please it really really pisses me off when people even try to argue then men are not physically dominant, which is obviously the cause for it.

A very good point. Certainly back in the caveman days (or whatever it's called) physical strength was a very significant (and probably deciding) factor as is often the case in the animal world.

So would you say that because men are genetically made to be physically superior to females that at the early stages men were the better/more able gender which ultimately determined their superiority in society over women?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending