The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Lincoln is my firm choice! - Anyone else going? :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have a conditional offer from Lincoln to study Psychology but I'm still not sure whether to firm it or insurance it. My other offers are Birmingham, Leicester and Sheffield Hallam. I think Lincoln does look lovely but I just can't decide :/
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 21
Brought you guys a lovely advert for Lincoln...

I'm putting down Lincoln as my firm!
Im going for fine art :tongue:

Thing is I'm worried, as a fine art student I only had my interview just the other week and only recieved my accomodation form today. I'm scared I'm going to get aweful accomodation because its run first come first serve basis and I can't help it if my course means I get my offer later than everyone else!

I'm also stuck for where to go, I wont have a chance to look around the accomodations so can anyone reccomend any which are good walking distance of the catherdal part of Lincoln (where my course building is) but is also near the nightlife/main town?
would be very thankful for descriptions and advice here!
I like the sounds of the student village mostley but I have this sinking feeling that its already full up!

If anyone could tell me which places to definitely avoid would be appreciated :biggrin:
Original post by BrightShine

I'm also stuck for where to go, I wont have a chance to look around the accomodations so can anyone reccomend any which are good walking distance of the catherdal part of Lincoln (where my course building is) but is also near the nightlife/main town?
I like the sounds of the student village mostley but I have this sinking feeling that its already full up!

If anyone could tell me which places to definitely avoid would be appreciated :biggrin:

Cathedrale is a good 10-15 min walk from the main part of town I guess, about 20-25 mins away from most of accomodation at lincoln. (It's all in pretty much the same area, very close to the main part of the uni)
You could probably walk it faster that that thought, it's just the cathedrale is up steep hill and it is quite steep haha. xD
Honesty most the lincoln accomodation is really nice since they're quite new anyway =D

I just firmed Lincoln, applied for Hayes Wharf and not the halls because I visited the halls, no so nice and my sister lived in Hayes Wharf so I know it's pretty nice.
Hi, I'm going to Lincoln to study Graphic Design! Conditional offer, 240 UCAS, C in art, etc.
The city's really good, I live in Newark now, which is about twenty minutes away, and I go to Lincoln most weekends. The nightlife's good, and it's a safe city, from experience. They have support pastors as well, which is a massive safety plus.
One thing that's worrying me is that I got my Lincoln offer in late December, and sent off my accommodation preferences about a week later, but my other unis didn't reply until recently (literally, my last offer was yesterday). Lincoln is my firm, and I'm going to accept it tomorrow when I've spoken to my tutor, but where do I stand now with accommodation? I really don't want to be staying at home, and it's worrying me, because I've had to leave it so late.
My first choice was Brayford Quay; literally, on campus didn't even come into my preferences until late, purely because I live near Lincoln, and know the off campus is pretty close anyway.
I'm panicking!
okay thankyou for the advice, the junxtion looks alright for payment, any ideas on the quality around there?

I only got my offer two weeks ago because fine art leave the interviews till february! so dont worry about it there are people is worse situations i.e me lol
Reply 26

Thing is I'm worried, as a fine art student I only had my interview just the other week and only recieved my accomodation form today. I'm scared I'm going to get aweful accomodation because its run first come first serve basis and I can't help it if my course means I get my offer later than everyone else!

So you're going to be in the Greestone building? That's literally 2-3mins from where I'm living now :smile:. Look up "Cathedral Street Apartments". It's owned by ClubEasy, who also own Hayes Wharf and a load of student houses. It's a pretty small halls of residence and if distance is your only main requirement, it's pretty good. However, it's shared bathrooms (but you do get used to it) and I'd say small bedrooms, but if you choose your flat carefully (make sure to view more than one!), you can actually end up with a pretty big room! I drew the short straw with mine xD. Unlike other Halls of Residence, the kitchens have washing machines included (so no paying per use) and the tumble dryers are only 40p. Oh, and each flat also gets its own living room too with 42" TV and sofas. Cathedral Street Apartments are only 5mins from the Thomas Parker House (which is where all other design subjects are, if you ever need to go there), 5mins from Town Center (including a few of the bigger Clubs), and about 10-15mins from the main campus (but you'll probably not need to go there very much).

Also look at Park Court too. In comparison to the other halls, I think this is one of the best value but it's a little bit further away from the Greestone building, probably about 10min walk instead. It's more expensive than Cathedral Street Apartments, but you get your own en-suite. However, it has a common room for whole building instead of a living room. I think it's much nicer than Cathedral Street Apartments - it's where I'm going to stay next year :smile:.

The other halls are further away still. To walk to Greestone building would probably take 15mins+ from each.

If you want to know where to avoid, I'd say Danesgate (even though it is only 5-10min walk). Avoid at all cost. I've heard you get big rooms, but the building from the outside looks a disgrace, and it has an AWFUL reputation. They say all the druggies go there... Yeahhh avoid avoid avoid.

What I'd say about the form though, is that make sure you look around the places your considering before you send it off. 'Cause you can't change your mind later. And make sure to pick a 2nd and 3rd choice too, last thing you want it to be put somewhere you don't want to be! I'll be honest, Cathedral Street Apartments wasn't even one of my choices (I only put one choice down) and initially I was really upset about coming here 'cause of shared bathrooms and size of flat, but got used to it. When I saw what some of the other flats here were like, I was quite amazed at how different they were. So if you do consider this halls, ask to look at the flats with bigger rooms! To be honest, I personally think in your first year as long as you end up in a halls (that isn't Danesgate...) or a big house (10 bedrooms+), you'll have no problems at all! :smile:. One of my cousemates is in a 12 bedroom house and he's managing fine, in fact has decided he's going to stay there for his second year too :smile:.

Sorry about the essay! Hopefully it's been of some help though! :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Amy-Leigh
:smile: Im hoping to go to lincoln, have a conditional for animal management & welfare sooo pleased bout that! :tongue: crossed fingers will get in :smile:
If get in... will be staying at Riseholme
xxx

Hi, i have a place at Lincoln for Bioveterinary Science :smile: Is riseholme a good place to stay? xxxxx
Reply 28
I'm a second year Biovet. Its really a matter of choice whether you'll prefer Riseholme or Brayford to live, there aren't loads of people in halls at Riseholme so everyone knows one another and its very sociable. There are buses between campuses which are fine for getting into town during the weekn but bare in mind that they don't run at weekends however if you have a car you can park at Riseholme and have a permit for Brayford for the evening and weekend (when the buses don't run). However a there will be plently of people living in Brayford and they tend to go out more though the downside of there is that because the buses are fairly irregular times they may have to be up at Riseholme several hours before a lecture and hang about afterwards - in addition to this while Brayford library has copies of a few usefull you will have to use Riseholme library predominately so if your down in Brayford you can't pop over to the library during the evening to find more books for an essay!!!
However like i said there are pros and cons of both. hope that helps if you want to know anything else just message me.
Reply 29
Original post by Amy-Leigh
:smile: Im hoping to go to lincoln, have a conditional for animal management & welfare sooo pleased bout that! :tongue: crossed fingers will get in :smile:
If get in... will be staying at Riseholme
xxx

Hi if I get knocked back from Bristol vetinary at Langford I will be going to Lincoln bio medicial, sent my form off for riseholme, Clara north west.
Reply 30
Conditional Offer for Animal Management and Welfare
Neeed to get MMM on my BTEC Animal Management
Lincoln is my firm choice
Reply 31
Just put Lincoln as my firm choice today. Think I will be in the student village and i'll be doing international business
Reply 32
After watching these videos, I think the whole world will have applied there (if they have any sense), and anyone lucky enough to get an offer will have firmed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zandec5fA4U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6YvpZb1pOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5fzmmrk6kk

:p:
Reply 33
Original post by barclay
Hi if I get knocked back from Bristol vetinary at Langford I will be going to Lincoln bio medicial, sent my form off for riseholme, Clara north west.

Hi =) I had a complete change of heart and ended up picking top 3 accomodation in main lincoln and not riseholme, i prefer it a lot more in the centre tbh and wanted to apply o places that have an ensuite as well =). Ah looks like i will be seeing you in september then =) Amy-Leigh xx
Reply 34
helloo :smile: i've firmed Lincoln to study criminology and forensic investigation but completely stuck as to which accomodation to go for :/ any advice?
I just accepted Lincoln as my firm for psychology also, looks like I'll be seeing you there, depending on grades of course (:
Reply 36

Hi yer i have got a conditional for fine art too, just waiting to hear from Newcastle but lincoln will probs be my first choice :smile:
Original post by Muffinz
Brought you guys a lovely advert for Lincoln...

Thank you very much, this is amazing. Have you seen his other 2 videos?
Also seriously check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKB4h9gvmm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY6tCnu-1Do

Both by the same guy who did the Lincoln ad's!
Wicked that there's plenty of people firming! :smile: Cheers all for the replies, sorry I haven't personally got back, I'm massively slow on checking this and remembering to reply! I also didn't realise there was a page 2 button hahaha! Cannot wait, and see you guys there:smile:
Keep an ear out for Jimmy Goodwin :biggrin: haha xxx
Got a conditional offer from to lincoln to study Business and Finance, firmed it last week :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest