The Student Room Group
Reply 1
1. define the environment
2. categorise the elements as air,water etc.
3. give examples about the degradation happening around;industrialization,urbanization,wars etc
4. give solutions to the above mentioned problems
since i work on river pollution issues i can tell you a lot on it ..if you want help send me a pm ....about the other elements like air ..i can get you stuff .. telll me how much have you done
Reply 2
I would include the reluctance of those in power to commit to a summit, and that if those in power don't act in accordance with the planet then obviously it will self destruct.
possibly going onto the economic side of things about how in the "modern world" profit goes before everything. Such as lax pollution laws, use of cheap and damaging fuels... if in doubt have a look on google for info :biggrin:
leannemarie
I'm not a Geographer, but I have to write an essay on the environment and I could do with some help from all you clever people (yes, that was a deliberate suck up!).
The question is:
'Is the destruction of the environment inevitable in the modern world?'
What are the main arguments that you would include?

Thanks a lot, Leanne

Well, you need to talk about the modern world and what is happening in it that destroys the environment. For example:
Technological advancement (not a direct cause, but more people wanting electrical appliances increases fuel usage)
Countries moving through the demographic transition model
Industrialisation (particularly China and India, as they are big contributors)
People wanting a better standard of living
Food increasingly being flown in from abroad
Demand for raw materials (i.e. destruction of the Amazon, mineral extraction etc)
Poaching (gorillas in the congo)
Destructive fishing (uncontrolled i.e whaling in the sea of Japan)
Globalisation and its associates (increase in tourism) - coral bleaching, hotel building (look at Benidorm)
You could even mention politics, for example, the reluctancy of America, when it was under Republican leadership, to invest in renewable energy sources due to ties with the oil industry.
and of course, the big one, population growth (which leads to increases is many of the former points)
Then give a counter argument, if you can find one (i.e. natural climatic cycles may mean that environment can sustain itself)

Latest

Trending

Trending