Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

student finance and Masters degrees

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Student Finance provides finance for studies for up to 4 years. I'm currently on a 3 year degree and thinking about doing a Masters after I graduate. Would I be able to receive student finance for a Masters? Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Funding is not available for masters degrees unfortunately, you have to pay the fees yourself
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Afraid not, and usually the fees will be a bit higher than the £3k you pay as an undergrad. Time to look for sponsorship or ask mummy and daddy i'm afraid.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areusureaboutthat)
    Student Finance provides finance for studies for up to 4 years. I'm currently on a 3 year degree and thinking about doing a Masters after I graduate. Would I be able to receive student finance for a Masters? Thanks
    SFE only fund undergraduate study.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    SFE only fund undergraduate study.
    Not completely true - they also fund PGCEs. But yeah not masters.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areusureaboutthat)
    They don't provide funding for 4 years. They provide it for the length of course + 1 year, minus any years already studied.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So do they provide a loan for undergraduate masters degree courses (4 years)?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    So do they provide a loan for undergraduate masters degree courses (4 years)?
    yes, cos they aren't equivalent to a post grad masters.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    A bit OT maybe: So you can proceed studying for a masters degree if you have previously received governmental student finance (loans)?
    It states on the site that you are not elligible to pay back unless you earn 15000 a year, but it doesn't explicitly say wheter you may continue studying (even though you would not get any more financial aid) or not.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chr0n)
    A bit OT maybe: So you can proceed studying for a masters degree if you have previously received governmental student finance (loans)?
    It states on the site that you are not elligible to pay back unless you earn 15000 a year, but it doesn't explicitly say wheter you may continue studying (even though you would not get any more financial aid) or not.
    There is NO GOVT FUNDING through SFE for post grad masters courses. So any funding you do manage to get has nothing to do with SFE thresholds.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    An undergraduate Masters course (i.e. your first degree) would be funded by the student finance company (SFC).

A postgraduate degree will not be funded by the SFC. For those you will need an external source of finance - grants (depending on your field and grades), scholarships (depending on your grades), a Professional & Career Development Loan (PCDL - issued by certain banks, no repayments until one month after your course ends), sponsorship through a company, or personal funding (e.g. savings, parents, fundraising).
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    An undergraduate Masters course (i.e. your first degree) would be funded by the student finance company (SFC).

A postgraduate degree will not be funded by the SFC. For those you will need an external source of finance - grants (depending on your field and grades), scholarships (depending on your grades), a Professional & Career Development Loan (PCDL - issued by certain banks, no repayments until one month after your course ends), sponsorship through a company, or personal funding (e.g. savings, parents, fundraising).
    This.

Sidenote, where the feck have you been IQ?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    This.

Sidenote, where the feck have you been IQ?
    I've still been around :p: Just haven't had time to do much PS Helping at the moment, so I don't have a sub, and I don't spend as much time on here any more. The joys of a Masters degree!

How's the world for you? Still as crap? :p:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    There is NO GOVT FUNDING through SFE for post grad masters courses. So any funding you do manage to get has nothing to do with SFE thresholds.
    I do know that of course. However, my question was if I am able to do a masters course (funded by other means than governmental ones) if I have previously received a govt funding loan for a bachelors (undergrad) degree?

My plans would be something along those lines as to study PPE in the UK and then proceed my studies in another country (stipendia in the US or something alike).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chr0n)
    I do know that of course. However, my question was if I am able to do a masters course (funded by other means than governmental ones) if I have previously received a govt funding loan for a bachelors (undergrad) degree?

My plans would be something along those lines as to study PPE in the UK and then proceed my studies in another country (stipendia in the US or something alike).
    You can continue studying, after receiving a government loan. The loan will just sit there until you start earning over £15,000.

If you leave the country to study or work though (after completing your undergrad degree) you have to inform the student loans company.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    I've still been around :p: Just haven't had time to do much PS Helping at the moment, so I don't have a sub, and I don't spend as much time on here any more. The joys of a Masters degree!

How's the world for you? Still as crap? :p:
    Left student finance as such last month. Doing more financial stuff now, which is handy.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    Left student finance as such last month. Doing more financial stuff now, which is handy.
    You left? I guess you didn't get that promotion then :p:

What are you up to now then? "Finance" is a rather broad topic :p:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    You can continue studying, after receiving a government loan. The loan will just sit there until you start earning over £15,000.

If you leave the country to study or work though (after completing your undergrad degree) you have to inform the student loans company.
    Thank you! I guess that will be the perfect way to finance my studies then. Since I don't really care for sitting with 100 other students in a room in Austria...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 31, 2010
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.