The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steezy
What?

Also why is mixed race always black and white?
Original post by EskimoJo
Not really. I think the point is that some Black people still consider these mixed-race people as 'one of them' whereas White people wouldn't in regards to race.

Oh come on. You only need to take a look around. Retarded comments about Obama not being black enough seem to spring around. The fact is there are people in both races who wouldn't consider mixed-race people as one of them.
Original post by sleekchic
Oh come on. You only need to take a look around. Retarded comments about Obama not being black enough seem to spring around. The fact is there are people in both races who wouldn't consider mixed-race people as one of them.

How can we call Obama just black but not call him just white?
Original post by Warrior King
Is there any disputing Michael Jackson's legendary status as an artist? The only one who probably comes close is Elvis but Elvis didn't have the advantage of being broadcast live all over, going on multi-million dollar tours and making earth-shattering music videoes. Totally different era.

Do you really want to bring Michael Jackson into this debate? :facepalm:
Reply 24
And the two most famous sportsmen of all time happen to be black; Pele and Ali.

Is there any disputing Michael Jackson's legendary status as an artist? The only one who probably comes close is Elvis but Elvis didn't have the advantage of being broadcast live all over, going on multi-million dollar tours and making earth-shattering music videoes. Totally different era.

Michael Jackson is only regarded as legendary because everyone insists on him so much. I don't deny he was very good, but he can't compare to The Beatles or the Stones, it's not like he created and shaped entire decades in the way they did.
Original post by Yawn11
FFS I'm not saying black people haven't done outstanding things.

I'm asking why are mix raced automatically referred to as black when they excell, as opposed to being white of which they are 50% of?

Perhaps the wording in the OP is misleading, but that's what I mean.

Dude, I can only go off the question in your original post and it asked "When black tend to excell at something they tend to be mixed race".

And in response I gave you a long list (could have been longer) of people who far excelled in their respective fields and they happened not to be mixed-race. Infact from your field of "mixed-race" individuals, only Barrack Obama's achievements could really match the legacy and impact the ones I highlighted made.

Come on you can't exactly say say Lewis Hamilton has dominated F1 like Michael Jordan had the rest of the NBA eating out of the palm of his hand? And has there ever been a sportsman in history like Ali or will there ever be one that could come close?

Maybe you worded your statement wrong but I could only answer the question that was stated.

But for the record there have been far more "black" people excelling in their respective field than there have been mixed-race.

And you can't really offer Lewis Hamilton as an example of excelling in a field when he only won one world title by pure luck (because the driver slowed down) and since then he's done pretty much jack all.
Dude their called "black" because they look "black" get it
Original post by TheSownRose
Do you really want to bring Michael Jackson into this debate? :facepalm:

Why not? He's black (descent) isn't he?
Reply 28
Original post by sleekchic

I think the OP was referring to the retardedness of blacks claiming him as their own because they have such extremely limited achievement in any field that isn't entertainment or sport. The fact is calling him black is the same as calling him white - except if you called him white it might be more appropriate because the black parent he had ran off and left the whites to raise him.
Original post by The TSR Star.
Why not? He's black (descent) isn't he?

You really want to bring a person who wanted to be white into a debate about black v. white people?
Reply 30
Dude, I can only go off the question in your original post and it asked "When black tend to excell at something they tend to be mixed race".

And in response I gave you a long list (could have been longer) of people who far excelled in their respective fields and they happened not to be mixed-race. Infact from your field of "mixed-race" individuals, only Barrack Obama's achievements could really match the legacy and impact the ones I highlighted made.

Come on you can't exactly say say Lewis Hamilton has dominated F1 like Michael Jordan had the rest of the NBA eating out of the palm of his hand? And has there ever been a sportsman in history like Ali or will there ever be one that could come close?

Maybe you worded your statement wrong but I could only answer the question that was stated.

But for the record there have been far more "black" people excelling in their respective field than there have been mixed-race.

And you can't really offer Lewis Hamilton as an example of excelling in a field when he only won one world title by pure luck (because the driver slowed down) and since then he's done pretty much jack all.

There are about 1 billion more black people in the world than mixed race people... So numerically maybe there have been more successful black people, but percentage wise perhaps not.
Reply 31
Also why is mixed race always black and white?

Why 'no they don't'? I don't understand what you're saying.

They're not (that's why I said - "White/Black mixed race"). In the context of this thread, OP is talking about white/black mixed race.

Come on PC brigade, what's up?
When I see a mix raced person I seem them as just a normal black person regardless of their achievement. I guess it's mostly because mix race people still get racism from white people whilst getting pretty much none from black people.
Original post by SkyHunter
its probaby because they look 'more black' if you get me... :/

This
Reply 34
It's the "one-drop" rule. If you're a little bit black, you're black. A lot of black people in the USA (and in the UK probably) have significant white parentage. I think this is stupid, it doesn't really matter whether you're black or white. What's wrong with just saying "One of my parents has dark skin, my other parent has light skin"? But I guess people are still to some extent culturally segregated by the colour of their skin so they feel a need to pick one of them.
Original post by Elipsis
Michael Jackson is only regarded as legendary because everyone insists on him so much. I don't deny he was very good, but he can't compare to The Beatles or the Stones, it's not like he created and shaped entire decades in the way they did.

So having 3 of the biggest selling albums of all time, winning the most number of Grammy Awards of any artist/band, being one of the first major Black/African-American artists to have their music/videos played on mainstream radio/tv, pretty much a celebrity all over the world. There isn't a corner of the world that doesn't know who Michael Jackson is. The same could be said of the Beatles. Not so much the Stones but The Beatles and The Stones certainly didn't hold the sort of popularity and appeal in South America, Africa, parts of Asia and the rest of the world that Michael Jackson did.

The Beatles didn't really create a decade. Defined it perhaps. I would say more contributed to it.

The 60s were created and defined by so many people and events; JFK and his asassination, moon landing, Beatles, Stones, Civil Rights movement (and figures like Malcolm X and Martin Luther King), 1966 World Cup (from an English perspective), Muhammad Ali's rise to boxing fame.

Michael Jackson was one of the defining artists of the 80s.

I'm not saying the Beatles and Stones didn't make a lasting contribution but I couldn't say they had as much lasting and enduring appeal as Michael Jackson. Well the Stones certainly not. The Beatles have managed to stay at the forefront and seeing as Michael Jackson only just passed away in 2009, time will only tell if his music will stand the test of time.
Original post by TheSownRose
You really want to bring a person who wanted to be white into a debate about black v. white people?

That's what you think though. If a black man wants to have a nose job, he will have a nose job. No one gives a toss what people like you think about him wanting to be white.

The fact is that he is of black descent and was successful. Stop turning this into something that it's not.
Aside from people going off topic, that's a good question OP.

Maybe because the world used to be dominated by 'white' people so anybody who isn't completely white (like mixed race people) is called 'black' even though everyone knows they're not.

Basically, calling someone 'black' when they're mixed race means that they're just not completely white.

Maybe.

XD
Original post by Steezy
Why 'no they don't'? I don't understand what you're saying.

They're not (that's why I said - "White/Black mixed race"). In the context of this thread, OP is talking about white/black mixed race.

Come on PC brigade, what's up?

eh?
That's what you think though. If a black man wants to have a nose job, he will have a nose job. No one gives a toss what people like you think about him wanting to be white.

The fact is that he is of black descent and was successful. Stop turning this into something that it's not.

It wasn't just a nose job - he changed colour, FFS!

Latest