The Student Room Group

Clearing

Me, again.

Trying to plan a course of action, so was wondering (if it comes to it) how successful is clearing? I know it's sort of a luck-based process if your desired course still has vacancies. Do you need to create another personal statement? (especially if it's a different subject from what you originally wanted)
Original post by burial
Me, again.

Trying to plan a course of action, so was wondering (if it comes to it) how successful is clearing? I know it's sort of a luck-based process if your desired course still has vacancies. Do you need to create another personal statement? (especially if it's a different subject from what you originally wanted)

How successful it is really does depend on what course you're applying for, how quickly you can get to the phone and whether you're good at coming across on the phone. Last year, nearly 48000 people got a place through Clearing. About 158000 didn't get a uni place, but nothing's to say they would have all even tried Clearing.

It's best to have a back-up prepared, so if you know what different subject you want to go for you can do it in advanced. However, a lot of Clearing is done via telephone, so if you can talk and be convincing, then you could probably do without. I changed quite dramatically with no alternative PS.
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
How successful it is really does depend on what course you're applying for, how quickly you can get to the phone and whether you're good at coming across on the phone. Last year, nearly 48000 people got a place through Clearing. About 158000 didn't get a uni place, but nothing's to say they would have all even tried Clearing.

It's best to have a back-up prepared, so if you know what different subject you want to go for you can do it in advanced. However, a lot of Clearing is done via telephone, so if you can talk and be convincing, then you could probably do without. I changed quite dramatically with no alternative PS.

Thanks, I can't stop thinking about uni and what might happen. I'm confident I'll do well but I do want a back up if things don't go my way. So for the most part it is done by phone? I think I can cope with that :smile: Also, do entry requirements drop or will I have to phone up a uni with a course that I meet the requirements for? Horribly worded, hope you get what I mean
Reply 3
Original post by burial

Original post by burial
Thanks, I can't stop thinking about uni and what might happen. I'm confident I'll do well but I do want a back up if things don't go my way. So for the most part it is done by phone? I think I can cope with that :smile: Also, do entry requirements drop or will I have to phone up a uni with a course that I meet the requirements for? Horribly worded, hope you get what I mean

It's a good idea to check the individual uni websites, as they may list the grades they're willing to accept. Contacting unis is mostly done by phone, but it will help to have internet access for reaseach.
Original post by burial

Yeah, for the most part - you use the internet or The Independent phone up and talk to them, they make an unofficial offer then, if you want to accept it, you add it via Track.

Entry requirements might drop, but that will depend on whether the uni thinks they can get the applicants at the grades; if they have AAA grades, chances are you're not going to be getting many AAA applicants in Clearing, so they might decide to look at AAB or ABB people. However, a BBC course might well be able to get plenty of BBC people, so have no need to lower their grades.

It's probably best to not go too much higher, but you could pursue a course with higher grades. Just make sure you also go for some grade-appropriate ones as well.
Reply 5
Original post by TheSownRose
Yeah, for the most part - you use the internet or The Independent phone up and talk to them, they make an unofficial offer then, if you want to accept it, you add it via Track.

Entry requirements might drop, but that will depend on whether the uni thinks they can get the applicants at the grades; if they have AAA grades, chances are you're not going to be getting many AAA applicants in Clearing, so they might decide to look at AAB or ABB people. However, a BBC course might well be able to get plenty of BBC people, so have no need to lower their grades.

It's probably best to not go too much higher, but you could pursue a course with higher grades. Just make sure you also go for some grade-appropriate ones as well.

Thanks, I'm expecting B's all round so I won't be aiming higher than that. Also, The Independent? Shouldn't I contact the unis direct, or is that how I'd do it?
Reply 6
Original post by burial

Original post by burial
Thanks, I'm expecting B's all round so I won't be aiming higher than that. Also, The Independent? Shouldn't I contact the unis direct, or is that how I'd do it?

The Independent is a newspaper. They also have a website. The newspaper (or website) lists all Clearing vacanies. You use this list to see where you might want to go. Then you phone the uni directly. I think TheSownRose is only missing a comma - read her sentence again and it should all be clear.
Original post by burial

Ok, some of that was cut off... Meant to say use the internet or The Independent to see what courses are in Clearing, then you phone the uni directly.

My bad. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending