The Student Room Group

Choices help!

I've received conditional offers from all of the uni's I've applied to - UWE, Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Newport & Southampton Solent.

The one I'd most like to go to is UWE, but they want a C in GCSE Maths which I doubt I can get, what is the likely hood of them accepting me without getting the GCSE?

The answer to that question is going to effect my choices massively

Help?
Probably not very high at all, but best people to ask them.

Why not put it as firm, then have a safer insurance?
Original post by Jon_
I've received conditional offers from all of the uni's I've applied to - UWE, Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Newport & Southampton Solent.

The one I'd most like to go to is UWE, but they want a C in GCSE Maths which I doubt I can get, what is the likely hood of them accepting me without getting the GCSE?

The answer to that question is going to effect my choices massively

Help?

You've had a conditional offer which includes GCSE maths..?
Reply 3
Original post by morematterlessartx
You've had a conditional offer which includes GCSE maths..?

280 UCAS points and GCSE C in Maths, yeah.

Original post by TheSownRose
Probably not very high at all, but best people to ask them.

Why not put it as firm, then have a safer insurance?

Second choice is either Ports or Bournemouth, and they both want 280 and don't mind about the fact I fail at Maths

So if I put UWE as firm I'm leaving myself no room for slip ups, in all fairness I should be getting 280 OK, though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jon_
280 UCAS points and GCSE C in Maths, yeah.

Ah ok, sorry I didn't know they did that. I would think if you meet the 280 points them they would at least consider accepting you:smile: If I were you I would email their admissions.
Reply 5
How can your conditional include GCSE maths, unless you're retaking it?? A 'C' in GCSE maths is very easy to obtain, so unlikely they will accept you without it, depending on your course.
Reply 6
Original post by Shmeiks
How can your conditional include GCSE maths, unless you're retaking it?? A 'C' in GCSE maths is very easy to obtain, so unlikely they will accept you without it, depending on your course.

I think they expect me to re-do through college, which isn't possible as it's too late.

I did AON level 2 last year at college which is apparently equivalent to a C in Maths, but UWE don't accept it.

If it's unlikely I'll get in without it I may decline my offer!
Reply 7
My parents did say that if I wanted to do that they would pay, but I'm not confident that I could pass even then. I got a D when I first took the GCSE, but haven't looked at anything Maths related in at least a year.
Reply 8
Original post by Jon_
My parents did say that if I wanted to do that they would pay, but I'm not confident that I could pass even then. I got a D when I first took the GCSE, but haven't looked at anything Maths related in at least a year.

It's still worth a shot! I failed Higher Maths last year :colondollar: but I'm retaking and it's a lot easier now.
****ing hell, work hard for the C- I was predicted an E and in bottom set maths. A lot of hard work over 3 months, I smashed the final exam and got a B. It's not hard- and if UWE is your first choice, then go for it.
I agree with those who suggest private tutoring as it can do wonders do have one on one teaching with someone sympathetic and who can help you pass. Definitely worth a shot x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending