The Student Room Group

Terrorism,- why no citizen tat for tat?

IF YOU'RE GOING TO READ/RESPOND READ ALL OF THIS.
Right, this is not an ignorant post, it may however seem like one. So please understand that this is not meant to sound ignorant.

Now, I understand that "Western Terrorism" is a term used to describe the countless crimes and such against Islamic countries around the world,- even media portrayal to a certain extent.
One of the main reasons given for terrorist attacks on western nations is western "interference" within Muslim countries.

Most of these acts are committed by citizens of, or people who perceive to be linked to certain countries. So therefore, why are there no Western acts of terrorism against the Muslim world, or Muslim countries, committed by the citizen or person with a felt link to say France or the US?
Why are there no attempts by British citizens, for instance, to bomb Iran or say, Turkey?

Shorter version: If citizens of Muslim countries, or people who perceive/feel a link to these countries attack Western states for the actions of western states, why has there been no British or citizen of the Western world attack Iran or another Muslim state? -> Read above/below,- i've tried to make this as objective and politically correct as possible, it's purely about the no attack vs attack in this.
Why do you think this is?

*Muslim: the word used by the terrorists to describe their beliefs (NOT ME),- I am using this term because this is the word they use, not because I feel they represent Muslim opinion.
Like I have used the word Western terrorism to describe the actions of our governments and security services,- these do not reflect public opinion wholly either.
* I am not condoning terrorism, terrorist attacks or anything of the sort.
* This is not to debate the legality of things which happen, the ethics of terrorism or anything.

* No racist comments please, this is not about race, religion or nationality.

"One mans terrorist is another man's freedom fighter"
Western states are not innocent victims,- people are though,- no matter what country they are from.
I DO NOT SUPPORT TERRORIST ATTACKS IN RETALIATION.

If people cannot debate/talk about sensitive current issues sensibly then we might swell return back to the caves!

THERE ARE OVER 1.5 BILLION MUSLIMS IN THE WORLD PEOPLE
HOW DO THE ACTIONS OF EVEN 2,000 REPRESENT 1.5 BILLION.

This is why racist logic fails.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone care?
Firstly, there are acts of terrorism done by western citizens to the middle-east however far less numerous that the other way around.

I think it's because let us remember it is not the western citizens who are oppressed. We invaded their country and so our lives remain largely unaffected. Terrorists attack western civilization because they want our interference to end. We however would be attacking the middle-east simply to say 'keep things the way they are'.

We are interfering in their affairs and therefore are being rebelled against. If one day a muslim state invades our own then perhaps you would see more western terrorists emerge.
During the 1990s terrorism was almost exclusively radical white Christian right-wing extremists. Ideologies are trends, and eventually something will supplant Islamic extremism as the new big bad. The white terrorist vibe has died off and the ones that are left don't get any media exposure because everyone wants to hear about Muslim terrorists now, so something that would've been front-page in '95 is now just a novelty.
Original post by S129439
Firstly, there are acts of terrorism done by western citizens to the middle-east however far less numerous that the other way around.

I think it's because let us remember it is not the western citizens who are oppressed. We invaded their country and so our lives remain largely unaffected. Terrorists attack western civilization because they want our interference to end. We however would be attacking the middle-east simply to say 'keep things the way they are'.

We are interfering in their affairs and therefore are being rebelled against. If one day a muslim state invades our own then perhaps you would see more western terrorists emerge.

I understand that, but it's just striking how there are no citizens of "our" countries attacking the attackers,- granted our government and military are.

*Rightly or wrongly
Original post by JCC-MGS
During the 1990s terrorism was almost exclusively radical white Christian right-wing extremists. Ideologies are trends, and eventually something will supplant Islamic extremism as the new big bad. The white terrorist vibe has died off and the ones that are left don't get any media exposure because everyone wants to hear about Muslim terrorists now, so something that would've been front-page in '95 is now just a novelty.

Makes perfect sense, with humanity the way it is, I would expect to have seen tat for tat attacks,- like with Ireland and England a few decades ago.
Hey at least your post is formatted well
Reply 7
Hmmm, Western Terrorism... Didn't this all start when "Muslims" blew up the Towers? The way I see it, the alleged Western Terrorism is all a deserved consequence of 9/11.
Reply 8
things happen because of something else. blaming terrorism purely on the Islamic faith is a simple and false idea.
Original post by Clens
Hmmm, Western Terrorism... Didn't this all start when "Muslims" blew up the Towers?
Yes, that is when the notion of terrorism was invented.
It takes two to tango sonny. Blame the muslims though.
Original post by adam_zed
things happen because of something else. Blaming terrorism purely on the islamic faith is a simple and false idea.

when did i blame it on that!?
What the hell?

Can you read!?!?!?!
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
It takes two to tango sonny. Blame the muslims though.

That has no relevance...
read the OP again D:
I firmly believe that the majority of Muslims in Britain secretly support terrorist attacks purpotrated against the US and the UK.
Original post by super.teve
That has no relevance...
read the OP again D:

Sorry steve, I didn't even read the first sentence, it hurt my eyes too much.
Original post by CrusaderTemplar
I firmly believe that the majority of Muslims in Britain secretly support terrorist attacks purpotrated against the US and the UK.

That does not relate the the topic, ffs.
Original post by CrusaderTemplar

Yes. I agree with you there Crusader
Reply 17
Original post by JCC-MGS
Yes, that is when the notion of terrorism was invented.

Modern Western Terrorism, rather obviously. Yes, we could go back to the 1st Crusade, where the Europeans massacred the Seljuks etc. What's the actual point though, times move on, people move on.
Original post by Clens
Modern Western Terrorism, rather obviously. Yes, we could go back to the 1st Crusade, where the Europeans massacred the Seljuks etc. What's the actual point though, times move on, people move on.

None of this is even relevant.
Why can no one read the OP...

*sigh.
Reply 19
Because many western nations, for example the USA and Britain DIRECTLY interfere [via combat, military activity, builiding military settlements e.t.c] in these muslim nations, therefore there actions have a more direct and felt repercussion throughout these populations.
Therefore terrorism is rife from within these populaces.
Whereas muslim nations do not directly interfere in western nations, therefore the populace of western nations aren't as moved by viewpoints/activities of muslim nations making western terrorist activities in muslim nations minimal or virtually non-existant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending