The Student Room Group

Punishment for Rape - Death?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by kashim91

Original post by kashim91
Imprisoning them doesn't stop people being raped

That's an excellent point. Rape still goes on in prisons right? How about prisoners' welfare?
Reply 61
Original post by yahyahyahs

Original post by yahyahyahs
I think castration is a more suitable punishment if Britian ever introduced a new punishment system - I'm assuming you mean the man is doing the raping. I mean they have harmed someone, yet they haven't killed them. Eye for an eye argument? But then that can escalate into people losing hands for theft and a system like that can be easily abused, with its consequences permanent.

Harsh punishments leads to more corrupt societies IMO.

In what way does it become MORE corrupt, if everyone is scared of doing the crime? Wouldn't you see children going to the shops at night being unafraid of being attacked or something?
I can see your point when it comes to child rape, however in a society where sex is seen as a fun enjoyable act between any two consenting individuals I can't justify taking another person life for an act which the victim is unlikely to suffer any permanent physical damage. Ie eye for an eye fair enough but when the punishment is worries than the crime I can't support the law.
Original post by .meh.
In what way does it become MORE corrupt, if everyone is scared of doing the crime? Wouldn't you see children going to the shops at night being unafraid of being attacked or something?

Corrupt in the sense that people might falsely blame you for a crime because you gave them a wedgie when they were five or the authorities might use capital punishment for any reason they can find. I am not saying it would not be a useful crime deterrent, but with pros come cons. Capital punishment should be the last resort and the death penalty I think should be reserved for those who have murdered out of malice and hate.
Reply 64
Original post by .meh.
Well yeah, it was kind of formulated from the other thread.

But the punishment for rape of any kind (Male/Female/Child) should be a public death.

In this way it would act as a proper deterrent rather than just a few years at Her Majesty's Hotel.

When punishments are harsh, society remains safe.

Discuss.

Singapore is a great example. XD
Which is why it remains one of my favourite holiday destinations. Safety/Security is never a concern in Singapore. Regardless of how much fun people make of Lee Kwan Yew's PAP...he'll be a hero in my eyes forever.
I'm ready to sacrifice some of my freedom to live in a well disciplined society. Strict punishments do achieve that goal - but its important to remember that society needs to be groomed gradually in that manner and it doesn't happen overnight. Also, such harsh rules only work well when operated in a combination of many other rules. Regulating the consumption of alcohol, having strict punishments for other crimes such as criminal damage, public obscenity etc. form effective means of reducing these crimes - not death for rape alone!
Reply 65
Original post by cttp_ngaf
What counts as "rape", for this purpose?

penetrating the puss, or any other hole in the human body for that matter.
Original post by ahnaf.c
penetrating the puss, or any other hole in the human body for that matter.

Gosh, that makes a whole lot of people rapists! There'd be no one left if we executed them all.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by cttp_ngaf
Gosh, that makes a whole lot of people rapists! There'd be no one left if we executed them all.

I believe the questioner was asking what physically constitutes rape. I obviously left out the issue of consent.
In terms of the actus reus using one's dick to penetrate the vagina, anus or mouth constitutes rape :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by .meh.

But the punishment for rape of any kind (Male/Female/Child) should be a public death.

In this way it would act as a proper deterrent rather than just a few years at Her Majesty's Hotel.

Discuss.

Yeah, because society is safer when rape victims decide they don't want to report and be responsible for the death of someone they know (as the majority of rapes are committed by someone known to the victim, after all).
Reply 69
Original post by Saichu

Original post by Saichu
Yeah, because society is safer when rape victims decide they don't want to report and be responsible for the death of someone they know (as the majority of rapes are committed by someone known to the victim, after all).

The recompense of something so evil, can only be something which will deter others in the future, and to give some sort of comfort to the victim.

How many prisoners are released and reoffend?

Victims still feel guilty after the act and ashamed and that is the driving force behind them not speaking up rather than being responsible for the death of someone. I'm sure if you ask anyone on TSR or some in real life who's been raped, the answer will be nothing short of death.
Reply 70
Agree completely.
I think that the death penalty should be brought back... but only for those who have commited really serious crimes, such as rape/asult/murder....
I think the Death Penalty is suitable for crimes in which people have been killed - murderers don't have the right to kill someone, so murderers should not be allowed to live. Similar sort of thing with armed robberies, if there are casualties.
Reply 73
Other, rejected, possible topic titles:

Punishment for death - Rape?
Death rape - A punishment?
The vilest of all crimes.

The guilty should be hung. And not by the neck.
Reply 75
Rape is one of the most heinous crimes an individual can possibly commit. It scares, shocks, disgusts and take away a massive proportion of an individual's dignity and pride for the rest of their lives. The death penalty is in most cases, ineffective and irreversible. An innocent person can easily be accused by a number of person's all claiming that they were witnesses to rape. How would this innocent make prove himself innocent? Lust is something just about every human being possesses. And in few cases, this lust can be too great which jeopardises people's being. Most rapists have no dignity or pride themselves. Therefore introducing the death penalty would probably not deter them from their crime because they wouldn't care if they died anyway. Rehabilitation in my opinion is also an 'easy' route and expensive one too. I'm not exactly sure of the success rates but if they are above 80% then I rebuke my last comment. Nonetheless I think forced labour for 10-15 years is the best option; the criminal scum pay back to the community and get what they truly deserve. That is not the 'easy route' out from their despicable crime but a profound suffering that they infliced on their victim, their families, their friends and the safety of the country. Make rapists work.
Reply 76
Jack Straw's comments brought this back up.

The men found guilty were sentenced to I believe 8 years and 11 years as a minimum. Cut that in half since a day outside prison is two days inside. That makes it 4 years and 5 1/2 years for rape. I think we've found the majority of people in this thread replying with it is indeed an abominable abhorrent crime, yet with light punishments such as the ones mention previously do nothing as a deterrent!
Original post by HaHaLOL

Original post by HaHaLOL
I dont think the death penalty is appropriate in any situation no matter what the circumstances. I think its a slippery slope which will lead to barbaric and humiliating punishments for all types of crimes.

Just because an individual has committed such an evil act I dont believe this gives others the right to decide that the persons life should be taken, two wrongs do not equal a right.

Furthermore, how will you know that the individual is actually guilty of the crime accused? how can you ensure that it is not a miscarriage of justice, sometimes 'criminals' are cleared of their crimes many years after their conviction. Admittedly, this only happens for a small proportion of criminals but are you really willing to murder an innocent man?

Also, a bad behaviour does not automatically mean that a person has a 'bad' character. Those students of Psychology should be familiar with Zimbardo's study, where he demonstrated the effects of situational factors on a persons behaviour. Put simply, the environment a person is in can cause them to act in a way that they normally would not.

Now dont get me wrong, Im not trying to say that rape is acceptable. In fact I think it is one of the most abhorrent crimes a person can commit, however, I think there are much better ways to deal with this problem.

The debate on whether punishments for crimes should be harsher in order to deter criminals is a different debate. However, I dont beleive the death penalty is ever justified.

I couldn't agree with you more. :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by .meh.

Discuss.

It is a proven fact that the death penalty is a very ineffective deterrent. Just look at the USA's violent and sexual crime statistics. Not to mention the morals of such a punishment. The punishment should not outweigh the severity of the crime in any circumstances. What you're saying is that rape = killing in terms of severity which is plain retarded.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by zxh800
Like where ?:confused:

United States, which has 4% of the world's population and 25% of it's incarcerated. Cultures and traditions are very similar to over here.

Original post by .meh.
The recompense of something so evil, can only be something which will deter others in the future, and to give some sort of comfort to the victim.

How many prisoners are released and reoffend?

Victims still feel guilty after the act and ashamed and that is the driving force behind them not speaking up rather than being responsible for the death of someone. I'm sure if you ask anyone on TSR or some in real life who's been raped, the answer will be nothing short of death.

I'm fairly sure that you know nothing of psychology. The majority of people in Britain do not support the death penalty (unless you read the Sun or Daily Mail) and the choice of having to see someone you know (detest, maybe) be sentenced to death, and being the driving force behind that are almost as damaging as the actual allegations. Rape victims already find it extremely difficult to stand up in court - it's why so many occurrences go unreported. Add the factor that the punishment would be so much greater, and it's just worse.

Furthermore, rape cases are so hard to prove either way (that's one of the reasons why the conviction rate is so low) that it's fairly easy to make false allegations. In one study done by US researchers, it was found that 41% of the rape complaints studied were fabricated.

Original post by .meh.
Rape = Forced sexual intercourse with another individual who didn't consent to the act.

For those that are saying what about if he was innocent; then how about we make the evidence required more difficult to obtain. For example, we do lab analysis for forensic evidence of sexual activity with the guy, as well as other signs, such as forced entry or bruising around certain areas (I don't know the signs of rape), and then we look for at least one witness if there is any doubt, if there is doubt in this witness then we present another?

But don't you guys agree also that if the punishment is harsher that society remains safe? Especially used as a deterrent, for example, if they made the death penalty in America open to the public.

Remember that the physical differences between rape and BDSM are very small. Again, a false accuser (with a complicit witness) could very quickly lead to a false conviction.

Original post by green chica
that is the biggest bull**** i've ever heard! http://www.awolau.org/2010/04/05/myth-busters-false-rape-reports/

"92-98 percent of rape allegations are true" and considering only 16-20% of rapes are reported, i don't really understand where you think there are "a lot of false accusations of rape". all these dumbass myths about rape that society perpetuates only allows rape to keep going at the rate it's going, instead of stopping to problem.

as far as taking the side of the victim goes: http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/reporting-rates

about 6% of rapists will ever spend a day in jail.

i'm pretty sure the courts take the side of the rapists, not their victim(s).

rape is about power, not passion. get your facts straight.

get a level head. Almost all of your facts are skewed or based on evidence given by the accuser - which is not altogether accurate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending