Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Kindle and other E-book readers discussion.

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I definitely recommend it!
    I've had mine for about 3 weeks now and love it.
    Even though I really like buying actual books and building up my bookshelf, there's just no space for it at uni! And having a kindle means you can get your hands on a book asap, just by downloading.
    Plus, it's much easier to read in bed!
    Oh and as someone mentioned above, it can read pdfs so really handy for uni as you can covert word documents and powerpoints into pdf format.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauraaaa.xo)
    Hi, i'm aware there is already a load of threads about Kindles and I've had a read through them but i haven't found much about Kobo E-readers.

When i was younger i loved reading and i really want to get into reading again. I am a student so i get the train to and from uni often so i am thinking that an E-reader would be helpful as i can just fit it in my handbag and obviously not have to carry around various books. I also don't really have any space to put a load of books in uni. However i do like having the actual book, it feels like i've something for my money whereas i don't know if having books on en E-reader would feel the same. A lot of the books i buy are second hand too, for like a few pennys on amazon so I would end up spending more on buying e-books. I know there are lots of free books but i'm obviously not going to be interested in all of them. What are your thoughts if you have one would you say its worth me getting one?

Of course deciding to get one is the easy part then i have to decide which one, i've looked at the Kindles and i don't really like the look of the cheaper one and the keyboard one of quite expensive at £149 although i do like the 3G feature. The Kobo E-readers look nice, i like the quilted design on the back and the normal one is only £70 and the touch screen one is only £100. I am swayed towards the touch screen as i am so used to having other touch screen devices but someone did point out to me that i'd have finger prints all over the screen when trying to read. Some reviews i have read say the contrast on the kindle is better so the writing stand out more, has anyone tried them both and able to comment on this and the Kobo ones in general?

Two things holding me back is the the screen refreshing and flashing black that looks really off putting and annoying? Also its obviously black and white deliberately because of the e-ink screen but to me it just looks odd, i know books are black and white but to me holding something electrical with a black and white screen seems old fashioned haha but i guess i will get used to it?

I am planning to go into the shops and play around on the different types if i can but was hoping i could get some opinions on here first and if anyone can answer any of my questions that would be great
    I'm in your predicament but I don't think I'm going to buy a kindle after all. Most of my books are secondhand from amazon and only cost a penny (not including postage and packaging) and I can get loooads of books from my university library (which you can too). Sure, the books are marginally cheaper on the kindle then not, but I'd miss the feel of a book too much and the excitement of getting it in the post! And once I'm done with it I just donate it to Oxfam, win-win.

(Also with the Kindle people boast about it being able to carry 100+ books, but I don't really see the utility of this. As an avid reader I'd say that I probably read maybe 35 books a year, so I'm not bothered about lugging around a mini-bookshelf)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go naked. It's quite sturdy and doesn't get scratched easily!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got a cheap fake leather one from ebay. I just like having a case so I can read it like a book
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talexe)
    Go naked. It's quite sturdy and doesn't get scratched easily!
    i wanted to but when i started to read on it, it was too thin to be comfortable in my hand
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I picked up a Kindle a few weeks ago but so far have only had the "free" books on there. There are a few books I would like to read in particular but seem excessively expensive on Kindle compared to paperback which seems crazy (one in particular is £6 on Kindle, 1p on Paperback from the Amazon marketplace). Is there a website where I can buy my books cheaper than directly from Amazon? I would just get the paperback but then I'll feel like I've chucked £100 down the drain on my Kindle (which is great BTW, I've really enjoyed the books from so far )
    Thanks!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshfrankie)
    Hi! I picked up a Kindle a few weeks ago but so far have only had the "free" books on there. There are a few books I would like to read in particular but seem excessively expensive on Kindle compared to paperback which seems crazy (one in particular is £6 on Kindle, 1p on Paperback from the Amazon marketplace). Is there a website where I can buy my books cheaper than directly from Amazon? I would just get the paperback but then I'll feel like I've chucked £100 down the drain on my Kindle (which is great BTW, I've really enjoyed the books from so far )
    Thanks!

Ebooks are subject to VAT, that's why sometimes they cost more than the paperbacks =( I would recommend checking out Amazon's daily deals and receiving their emails for when they do special offers on ebooks. The other week I noticed that a couple of the books which I had added to my wishlist had actually gone down to free so I quickly downloaded them before they went back up to their usual price.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em_Huong)
    Ebooks are subject to VAT, that's why sometimes they cost more than the paperbacks =( I would recommend checking out Amazon's daily deals and receiving their emails for when they do special offers on ebooks. The other week I noticed that a couple of the books which I had added to my wishlist had actually gone down to free so I quickly downloaded them before they went back up to their usual price.
    Ah - fair enough - cheers! Funnily enough I just noticed one of the books I was after a while ago at 20p.
    The Kindle is a great bit of kit mind. Got the touch + a case from Tesco for £104 - can't complain! Worth paying that bit extra for the pleasure of reading from one of these IMO.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshfrankie)
    Ah - fair enough - cheers! Funnily enough I just noticed one of the books I was after a while ago at 20p.
    The Kindle is a great bit of kit mind. Got the touch + a case from Tesco for £104 - can't complain! Worth paying that bit extra for the pleasure of reading from one of these IMO.

It's worth checking every now and again so you don't miss out on good deals! Most of the classics are free and sometimes new authors release their books free for a while.

But yes, the Kindle is amazing, before I got it I wasn't sure if I would read it a lot because I thought I'd prefer paper books over the digital kind but I was really wrong and can't remember the last time I picked up a paperback lol
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Use sites such as project gutenberg. They have massive selections of free books. Then just download a program called Calibre - and it will sync them to your kindle.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know this sounds like a really stupid question but what exactly is a kindle?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    A Digital device that stores virtual books i.e books in that have been re-written in a word style document.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKUKQ7QqOHw
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Always_Happy)

It doesn't sound like a really stupid question. It just is a really stupid question
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picture~Perfect)
    A Digital device that stores virtual books i.e books in that have been re-written in a word style document.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKUKQ7QqOHw
    Thanks for the quick reply but do you have to buy these books and then download them to this device?

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    It doesn't sound like a really stupid question. It just is a really stupid question
    May I ask why?

• 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quick reply but do you have to buy these books and then download them to this device?

if you connect your amazon account with your kindle, when you buy a book, it automatically gets sent to the kindle (provided the wifi is on)
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:

A Kindle is an eBook Reader, a device for, well, reading eBooks! Digital copies of books, comics and other documents can be uploaded onto them to be read anywhere, potentially allowing users to carry and access large collections at any given time. They use what is known as an eInk display to mimic traditional book paper for ease of reading. There is also a device out in the USA called the Kindle Fire, which is an actual Android tablet.

You can find information on the different types of Kindles and how they work here [=
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:

New releases are typically priced around the same as their paperback equivalents, but plenty of books are available for free.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can also download a lot of books for free - not just the ones from Amazon.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurie:))
    if you connect your amazon account with your kindle, when you buy a book, it automatically gets sent to the kindle (provided the wifi is on)
    Oh that's pretty impressive. Thanks

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 25, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.