The Student Room Group

OCR (not MEI) Core 3 - 19/01/2011

With the exam a few just a few weeks away, how is preperation going? Feel free to discuss the exams and any problems here.

Good luck everyone! :biggrin:

Paper is here: http://www.2shared.com/document/lRHUSB66/11_Jan.html
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Looking confident, the papers in 2010 were supposedly the hardest and i didn't see too many problem's with it, apart from some weird trig questions, so hopefully we'll get a decent paper..
Reply 2
Original post by Rational Paradox
Looking confident, the papers in 2010 were supposedly the hardest and i didn't see too many problem's with it, apart from some weird trig questions, so hopefully we'll get a decent paper..

That's good. :smile:
I've done the jan 2010 one and did fine but haven't yet done the june one. I've been using Solomon papers for practice so hopefully I'll be fine when the exam comes.
Original post by ElMoro
I've done the jan 2010 one and did fine but haven't yet done the june one. I've been using Solomon papers for practice so hopefully I'll be fine when the exam comes.

Hopefully i can maintain in it till January :P got FP1 on the same day at same time as well, so an easy paper would be great!
Reply 4

Hopefully i can maintain in it till January :P got FP1 on the same day at same time as well, so an easy paper would be great!

Think I did ok in C4 so getting this right for an A* would be great. I hope! :smile:

Same here. Are you doing C3 then FP1?
Original post by ElMoro

How good are the Soloman papers? Obviously its too late to start them now but if I resit C3 in June I'll do them plus C4 ones too. Also are they harder/ written for particular exam boards? I suppose it wouldn't matter by then anyway since I'll have learnt all the content anyway!
Original post by Freerider101
Same here. Are you doing C3 then FP1?

Yeah, i can honestly say im not looking forward to it at all lol - get C3 out of the way and good, and FP1 hopefully shouldn't be too bad (got 74 last time, so retake is not too urgent)
Original post by ElMoro
Think I did ok in C4 so getting this right for an A* would be great. I hope! :smile:

Ah nice, i had a relatively decent S2 paper as well, so hoping i can try and get an A* in Maths with a decent C3 & 4
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Can someone help me out on the June 2007 Paper, it's the last question. Where the identity is equal to k^2
Original post by J DOT A
Can someone help me out on the June 2007 Paper, it's the last question. Where the identity is equal to k^2

Is this the tan^2 one?

Rearrange everything to get an equation for tan^2, and show its always positive, meaning that when you root it, it will have a negative and positive result, which will lead to two roots between 0 < x < 180
(edited 13 years ago)
is there anyone who can write the answer of the paper after the exam here?!!!
MR M?? ........, that will be on wednesday then , at around 4 clock
Reply 12
can someone explain how you would intergrate x(x^2+4)^4?
Original post by gildartz

Use integration by substitution.
EDIT: Or you could use the "guess and check" method which is quicker
(edited 13 years ago)
Yeah, i can honestly say im not looking forward to it at all lol - get C3 out of the way and good, and FP1 hopefully shouldn't be too bad (got 74 last time, so retake is not too urgent)

Same here.

Hopefully crush C3 :smile:
Cool, I'm guessing this is the official thread.

Well nervous for tomorrows exam, C3 seems to be getting harder over the years. The last question is usually a b****. :mad:

Should leave TSR and actually go revise. :frown:
Original post by turn and fall
Same here.

Hopefully crush C3 :smile:

i can only hope we get a decent paper, i'm probably gonna end up being exhausted by the time i get to FP1 lol - im just curious how they somehow thought putting two similar exams on at the same time was a good idea :rolleyes:
Whats the difference between OCR and OCR MEI.
Reply 18
Anyone know what hasn't been in a C3 exam for a while? Probably more likely to be in this exam.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by gildartz

If I'm right you won't come across that in C3. So what that generally means is go back to the previous part of the question and you will have differentiated a function and obtained something very similar looking to what you're trying to integrate. They normally make it harder by turning it into a volume of revolution question or you have to take a common factor out to get it in the correct form.

By the way will anyone be able to get a question paper? Mr M said that no one is sitting C3 at his centre so unless someone sends him a copy of the questions he can't do solutions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending