The Student Room Group

Advice on degree course/maths

Just a simple question really so i'll start off as explaining a bit first.

i left school with rubbish grades and i worked full time after school however as i got to the age of 18 i realized i am not going anywhere good or doing as well as i could so i decide to go back into education i got a BTEC first diploma in business and then am currently studying a national diploma in IT practitioners i am getting decent grades such as Distinctions and merits so am doing well enough to be able to get enough points to gather for a degree course.

am not bothered about going to a uni so i will just study a foundation degree at the college i am at and maybe do the top up year at uni when i get to that stage but the problem is i don't have English or maths gcse at grade c which is required.

However i do have English key skills level 2 which they accept they told me and i have 2 gcses at grade c level i know for a fact i can do the foundation degree work as i know and understand how computers work and stuff like that and the course i have applied for is IT based degree as well but the problem is i don't have maths gcse at grade c or a key skills in maths.

They told me if i get a key skills level 2 in maths they accept me they call it functional maths or something like that.

i am worried that i wont pass the exam as i haven't even looked or used maths in about 3 years i can count money and all the basic stuff that you need in life just maths is my down fall and i got a feeling i wont pass this exam but i am doing lots of revision so might be ok.

however if i don't get in this year it means i will have to just continue working part time and study maths for a year which i don't really want to do as that's wasting a year.

so yes am stressing about this is there any chance they let you in on the foundation degree course without the maths as i have all other requirements and at the same college and i will have some of the same teachers?
Original post by SpeedyRob

Okay you want to do a degree in what exactly? Maths?!
Reply 2
a degree in IT i got two gcse's in IT plus a national diploma in IT and the requirements are a national diploma and maths and English at gcse level i have the English just not the maths and am wondering if they let me in still as i have already learned a lot about IT in past years and its at the same college where i have studied for 2 years now?
Original post by SpeedyRob
a degree in IT i got two gcse's in IT plus a national diploma in IT and the requirements are a national diploma and maths and English at gcse level i have the English just not the maths and am wondering if they let me in still as i have already learned a lot about IT in past years and its at the same college where i have studied for 2 years now?

Link? My flatmate does computing and IT (can't remember it's official name but it's got a bit of business to it.) He failed his maths GCSE first time then managed to get a C. Before he got to uni he hadn't done maths for 3 years exceept for a tutor trying to get him up to speed.

Basically, maths was not in the entry requirement but you need a sound GCSE knowledge which he did not have. Basically Surrey gave all the non A level maths people an online maths test which was basically GCSE with a tiny bit of C1 and a whole revision pack; you could take it as many times as you want but because he failed it quite a lot it was very demoralizing and next semester he has to do a proper maths module.

I'd email the uni with regard to the course and maths content. Basically maths pops up everywhere

Quick Reply

Latest