The Student Room Group

"People saying bad stuff about us should be shot" says £30,000 benefits claimant

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lemons
Pot noodles are not the cheapest way to eat, and they aren't very nice either. Food is a lot cheaper the more people you buy it for, and the more you make it from scratch ex. make your own pasta sauce instead of buying a jar, prepare your own salad instead of buying a bag etc. Also, if you don't eat a massive hunk of meat with every dinner, and have more vegetables instead you save loads.

I'm not really sure how to show you that it's possible without just giving you a shopping list, and frankly I can't be arsed.

I also rarely drink, but I didn't include alcohol in that amount anyway because that obviously wouldn't apply to kids. I don't really understand what's wrong with drinking tap water. It's what I drink most of the time when I'm at home too? Also you can just buy squash if you don't like drinking something without any proper taste (but again, who cares?).

Christ, people still do that? Doesn't that take ages?

Why spend time making pasta sauces when you can spend it on TSR? :colonhash:
I cannot see why people pay for bottled water when we are lucky enough to live with perfectly acceptable water on tap. It seems such a pointless extortionate way of living.

Original post by Aspiringlawstudent

Can you honestly not tell the difference between tap and bottled? Tap is just horrible in comparison...
Original post by lovely_me
I cannot see why people pay for bottled water when we are lucky enough to live with perfectly acceptable water on tap. It seems such a pointless extortionate way of living.

I've never been able to stand the taste of tap water, tbh.

Granted though, it's not as bad as Spanish tap water :lolwut:
Reply 63

Or tap water in Lancashire.. or London.
Reply 64
I had an idea that could work. If you have to claim benefits for more than a year, and you have more than 3 children, than any further children are taken into care. It hopefully go some way to sorting out cases like this which I believe (and hope) to be the exception.
To be honest I'm more concerned about huge corporations dodging billions of pounds of tax or the benefit frauds that are our own MPs. I suppose this family don't wear suits though...
But have you no care for the environment, or indeed considered any alternative s such as flavouring the water or getting a filter? It's beyond me, it really is.

But have you no care for the environment, or indeed considered any alternative s such as flavouring the water or getting a filter? It's beyond me, it really is.

I really don't :sexface:
Original post by cottonheart
To be honest I'm more concerned about huge corporations dodging billions of pounds of tax or the benefit frauds that are our own MPs. I suppose this family don't wear suits though...

Labour voter spotted in Tory thread.
to be honest i'm more concerned about huge corporations dodging billions of pounds of tax or the benefit frauds that are our own mps. I suppose this family don't wear suits though...

SPOT THE GUARDIAN READER ALERT

That's not very Daily Mail of you, is it? :rolleyes:

SPOT THE GUARDIAN READER ALERT

That's not very Daily Mail of you, is it? :rolleyes:

roffle!! both terribly wrong
roffle!! both terribly wrong

Reply 72

I agree with the MP bit, but the huge corporations thing is just a load of *******s.

Labour was in power for 15 odd years, they didn't do anything to fix what they supposedly see as a problem. But now the tories are in power, they are looking for any reason to moan :rolleyes:

Tax avoidance is perfectly legal and it should be encouraged at every opportunity. Even on a personal level, a lot of people are not aware of how much tax they are usually over-paying, they should keep reciepts etc. and claim it back.
Original post by ahnaf.c
bloody immigrants

:rofl:
Reply 74

Gary Bateman and Joanne Sheppard pocket an estimated £30,000 a year in state handouts.

He claims £89.80 a week incapacity benefit for a bad back and is not thought to have worked since 1999. Because they are jobless they can claim a host of other benefits.

They live in a £300,000 five-bedroom home the £1,200 a month rent paid for by housing benefit.

They live with ten of their youngest children the oldest five have moved away and receive £20.30 for their eldest and £13.40 for the remaining nine.

Last year, Mr Bateman’s claim to be unwell was called into question after he was filmed taking part in a motocross competition.

But the 46-year-old said: ‘People need to keep their noses out of our business and people saying bad stuff about us should be shot. I want to work but I can’t. I haven’t ridden my bike since last year.’

Miss Sheppard, 36, who has not worked for 20 years, said: ‘I just can’t understand what all the fuss is about.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342076/State-funded-idleness-1-5m-spending-fifth-Christmas-row-sick-benefits.html#ixzz19O05huxn

Classy, isn't he?

How does this story make you feel?

'I haven’t ridden my bike since last year'

However, he's fit enough to impregnate his wife. How odd.
Original post by PaddySWYD
'I haven’t ridden my bike since last year'

However, he's fit enough to impregnate his wife. How odd.

I think what he said is a euphamism :sexface:

Wonder how she got pregnant then.
Original post by Steph90
I agree with the MP bit, but the huge corporations thing is just a load of *******s.

Labour was in power for 15 odd years, they didn't do anything to fix what they supposedly see as a problem. But now the tories are in power, they are looking for any reason to moan :rolleyes:
Yeah, I never tried to argue that everything was all dandy under Labour and I would wholeheartedly agree with any Tory that they're ****heads, but probably for differing reasons. Let me emphasise; I really ****ing don't support Labour.

Original post by Steph90
Tax avoidance is perfectly legal and it should be encouraged at every opportunity. Even on a personal level, a lot of people are not aware of how much tax they are usually over-paying, they should keep reciepts etc. and claim it back.
Yeah, don't overpay your tax, I agree, I'd go to lengths to make sure I'm paying what I should be. Key phrase 'paying what I should be'. That's not tax avoidance, that's just... Not paying what you're not supposed to pay. All these businesses have are the economies of scales to use loopholes to literally avoid what they should be paying.
(edited 13 years ago)
Bad back eh ?
Guess we know who's on top !
Reply 78
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
To have an ounce of self-respect and contribute to society?

I dont see your reasoning here, you have this many kids, you work 30 hours a week or whatever and make less money than you would on benefit. And contribute to a society which labels you as dirty waster scroungers for doing so.

I dont think this is right, but I was unemployed for a while when I couldnt find a job for 5 months and even moved city to find one then I was working part time for a measly bit more than benefits for 12 hours a week. I can understand the situation
Reply 79

Yeah, I never tried to argue that everything was all dandy under Labour and I would wholeheartedly agree with any Tory that they're ****heads, but probably for differing reasons. Let me emphasise; I really ****ing don't support Labour.

Yeah, don't overpay your tax, I agree, I'd go to lengths to make sure I'm paying what I should be. Key phrase 'paying what I should be'. That's not tax avoidance, that's just... Not paying what you're not supposed to pay. All these businesses have are the economies of scales to use loopholes to literally avoid what they should be paying.

I'm not a tory supporter either :wink: Just hate Labour a lot more.

However - if they should be paying it and they aren't, trust me they would know about it. I know about the Vodafone scandal, and thats exactly what it was. But it was an anomaly. A lot of tax avoidance is completely legal and justified.

Taxes are already way too high and if we try to rise taxes or close the loopholes, these people will just move jurisdictions. There are plenty of other countries out there who offer very low rates of corporation tax.

We need to be working towards a system which is focused on reducing taxes and giving people the opportunity to make their own money. Welfare should only be for those really in need. The Daily Mail type knee-jerk reactionary response to these kind of situations are a joke. I think welfare needs a reform but its not as big a problem currently as people make it out to be. Thats why I'm never bothered about these kind of stories, its not a big deal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending