The Student Room Group

24 December - 2 January should be declared a public holiday

Would it not make more sense if the government just declared all days between 24 December and 2 January to be a public holiday?

Scroll to see replies

It would be nice, but it's not realistic. If everywhere closed during that period, what would happen when you run out of the bare necessities? :cry2:
Reply 2
Let me put it this way:

No.
Reply 3
Original post by Crazy Paving

It would be nice, but it's not realistic. If everywhere closed during that period, what would happen when you run out of the bare necessities? :cry2:

We couldn't forget about our worries and our strife?
No, because then we'd have even more idiots come shopping during that period than they already do, and anyone who works in retail would have to be sectioned by the new year due to madness.

I'm assuming that shops would remain open during this period, because normally anyone who works in retail - such as myself - has to work most days that everyone else gets off. It's ****.
Original post by snowyowl

No, because then we'd have even more idiots come shopping during that period than they already do, and anyone who works in retail would have to be sectioned by the new year due to madness.

I'm assuming that shops would remain open during this period, because normally anyone who works in retail - such as myself - has to work most days that everyone else gets off. It's ****.

I was kinda assuming most shops would close anyway, except for the big department stores in the big centres, like the one I work in. :sigh:

I see this point, but at least it keeps me busy and makes the time go quicker. :yes:
Original post by dd4483
Would it not make more sense if the government just declared all days between 24 December and 2 January to be a public holiday?

what does it matter to you? I'll bet you're unemployed anyway

or at least you should be, with dumb suggestions like that
Nah, it'd be much too much public holidays in one go. It's far better how it is now, having them spread out across the year as a good balance.
Reply 8
:lolwut:
I was kinda assuming most shops would close anyway, except for the big department stores in the big centres, like the one I work in. :sigh:

I see this point, but at least it keeps me busy and makes the time go quicker. :yes:

Well I work in a fairly average-sized shop, but it's in the middle of a shopping centre building so I doubt it would shut, and anyway our head office keeps us open at every available opportunity. Days off? Pfft, retail staff don't need those! Even though those in head office were off from closing Christmas Eve until today. Typical.

There is that, but when you're being barged out of the way, or run down by prams, by idiots merely wanting to pick up some cut-price wrapping paper... :mad:

Well I work in a fairly average-sized shop, but it's in the middle of a shopping centre building so I doubt it would shut, and anyway our head office keeps us open at every available opportunity. Days off? Pfft, retail staff don't need those! Even though those in head office were off from closing Christmas Eve until today. Typical.

There is that, but when you're being barged out of the way, or run down by prams, by idiots merely wanting to pick up some cut-price wrapping paper... :mad:

Yeah, the worst times are when you have an awkward customer and need a manager or someone at the head office, and they're never around at evenings or weekends (my usual shifts) or these holidays. :unimpressed: They constantly extend opening hours, our normal 10-10 weekday opening became 8-11 during the build up to christmas. Yesterday bank holiday, they closed at 9, and today bank holiday, they're closing at 10. :lolwut: They also constantly break the 6 hour Sunday opening law, but pay the fine, even though it's not worth it, but they think it is. :no:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
No, these bank holidays are a pain. I have cheques I need to cash! haha
Yeah, the worst times are when you have an awkward customer and need a manager or someone at the head office, and they're never around at evenings or weekends (my usual shifts) or these holidays. :unimpressed: They constantly extend opening hours, our normal 10-10 weekday opening became 8-11 during the build up to christmas. Yesterday bank holiday, they closed at 9, and today bank holiday, they're closing at 10. :lolwut: They also constantly break the 6 hour Sunday opening law, but pay the fine, even though it's not worth it, but they think it is. :no:

We normally open 9am-6pm on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, but in the run-up to Christmas that was extended to 8:30am-9pm. :lolwut:

What annoys me more is when people bitch about our prices, or assume stuff's on sale when it isn't. Don't they know how to READ? Stop falling over yourselves in the excitement of being able to pick up half-price boxes of Christmas cards and LEARN TO READ THE LABELS FFS :rant:
Reply 13
it would be nice, but never gonna happen!
also i work in retail so i dont know what a public holiday is :p:
Reply 14
No
Reply 15

How much is the fine?
Original post by grape:)

[QUOTE=grape[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];29079845]How much is the fine?

I don't know, but generally the public are unaware of the extra opening hours and/or have lives to live so it's just dead for the extra half hour - hour that they open. Effectively, a waste of money in terms of wages and all the electricity still used etc.

What kind of stupid law is that? Shops should be free to set their own opening hours irrespective of the law. What about 24-hour convenience stores? :confused:

OP: just no.

And for those who have to work during (post) Christmas - tough. Live with it. If you don't like working during those hours stop complaining and get a new job.
That would be :sogood:
Original post by im so academic

Original post by im so academic
What kind of stupid law is that? Shops should be free to set their own opening hours irrespective of the law. What about 24-hour convenience stores? :confused:

The Sunday trading law: shops were trying to get around it for boxing day this year. You try working Sundays and see what it's like and how 6 hours is fair enough, when you are old enough, of course. They must pay the fines. :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending