The Student Room Group

whsmith interview [very small store]

i have applied for the sales assistant postion and its temp. the store is located at a train station and its pretty small so i am expecting a 1 to 1 interview rathar an group interview. what question would i be expecting and what advice could you give me when tackling nervousness this is my 5h interview:frown: and i got rejected by sainsbury thats how bad i am.:colondollar:

thank you and please comment.:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I haven't been to an interview with WHSmith but here are a few tips:
- Practice questions with your parents, that's the best way to tackle interview nerves.
- The questions are likely to be competency based, i.e Tell us about a time when you had to prioritise a set of tasks? Describe a time when you've had to deal with a difficult person or customer?
- Know a bit about WHSmith, what makes it different to other book stores. A particular question that is often asked: Why do you want to work for WHSmith?
- Smile and look smart. Although WHSmith staff members are given a uniform, it doesn't mean you should turn up to an interview casually. If you're a guy I would go for a smart pair of black trousers, a shirt and a v-neck jumper, and for a girl try a smart skirt and a blouse.

I hope that helps! I understand you may be down having being rejected from 5 interviews, but put a lot of practice into this one and prepare answers and you'll be fine.
Original post by meilan990

i have applied for the sales assistant postion and its temp. the store is located at a train station and its pretty small so i am expecting a 1 to 1 interview rathar an group interview. what question would i be expecting and what advice could you give me when tackling nervousness this is my 5h interview:frown: and i got rejected by sainsbury thats how bad i am.:colondollar:

thank you and please comment.:smile:

Look out for this question:

"so like, are you gonna bang doe?"
I've only had interviews for about 7 companies and got job offers for 6 of them, but none of them were WHSmith. I imagine they'll spend more time telling you about what they offer, what the job entails then ask 2 or 3 token questions that will act more as filler considering the position you're applying for;

Why do you want to work for us?
What retail experiance have you had?
Tell us about yourself?
How will you travel to your job?
Anything you'd like to ask us?

The most important thing to do is to relax. This WILL NOT be a high pressure interview. There maybe many other candidates, but as your positioin is not technical, they're more likely to go on likebility factor. The more confident (not aggressive or arrogant, quietly confident), you are, the more likely they are to like you, remember you and give you the job.

Go forth and be lucky. Enjoy your interview. We look forward to hearing you got the job :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by thedepressedchild
Look out for this question:

"so like, are you gonna bang doe?"

what?! what does that even mean?
so your at k-town? what course are you doing?
Reply 5
Original post by Dude Where's My Username
I've only had interviews for about 7 companies and got job offers for 6 of them, but none of them were WHSmith. I imagine they'll spend more time telling you about what they offer, what the job entails then ask 2 or 3 token questions that will act more as filler considering the position you're applying for;

Why do you want to work for us?
What retail experiance have you had?
Tell us about yourself?
How will you travel to your job?
Anything you'd like to ask us?

The most important thing to do is to relax. This WILL NOT be a high pressure interview. There maybe many other candidates, but as your positioin is not technical, they're more likely to go on likebility factor. The more confident (not aggressive or arrogant, quietly confident), you are, the more likely they are to like you, remember you and give you the job.

Go forth and be lucky. Enjoy your interview. We look forward to hearing you got the job :smile:

Hiya I had my interview on wednesday and i think it went okay, although I was stuttering abit, my answers came through, it actually got abit easier nearer to the end of the interview, he did ask me questions about my previous work experience at new look and you know those store cards, well sadly i only mangage to get 1 out of the 11 months i was there (contract hours were short and plus the reccession) and it didnt sound too good, i think i let myself down there. but i was there for a good 45 minutes, soo hopefully by the end of next week i will get the job.

Do you think i should have lied instead about store cards? my cousins told me to lie before and well im not the great lying type.
Reply 6
im working at WHSmith now, i ont know if it is different for other place but for my interview the manager phoned me and pretty much asked why i wanted the job and that was it. got the call about a week later saying i got the job. I guess it depends on the manager.

hope i helped :smile:
I work there, its really easy. Mine was just a bit of a chat with the managers. Just make sure you know what sort of things they sell, and try to remember any customer service or sales experience you have.

p.s. its a well **** place to work btw
Reply 8
Hi there,

I applied online the other day, and I received a call from the lady asking me to call her back as I was not there? Do you think I have been shortlisted?

In that case, it's for a Sales Assistant at Gatwick Airport, and I'm just wondering what the interview style is, i.e. group or individual and the sorts of questions they might ask. This is my first job, but I've done loads of volunteering stuff for about 10 months now.

A quick reply would be useful as I have to phone her on 1/03/11. Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by Zahraa
Hi there,

I applied online the other day, and I received a call from the lady asking me to call her back as I was not there? Do you think I have been shortlisted?

In that case, it's for a Sales Assistant at Gatwick Airport, and I'm just wondering what the interview style is, i.e. group or individual and the sorts of questions they might ask. This is my first job, but I've done loads of volunteering stuff for about 10 months now.

A quick reply would be useful as I have to phone her on 1/03/11. Thanks! :biggrin:

If WHSmiths have called you, then it is likely that you've been offered an interview. I can't tell you what the interview will be like, i've not been interviewed by them, I would assume some of the generic questions will be asked, but try to think of answers for some of the more complex questions they may ask. Good luck.

You've been volunteering for 10 months? Me too. Volunteering in a charity shop? It's a wonderful place to gain experience, not the hardest place to work at. I'm surprised us young'uns aren't considering charity shops more often.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by nintendolad
If WHSmiths have called you, then it is likely that you've been offered an interview. I can't tell you what the interview will be like, i've not been interviewed by them, I would assume some of the generic questions will be asked, but try to think of answers for some of the more complex questions they may ask. Good luck.

You've been volunteering for 10 months? Me too. Volunteering in a charity shop? It's a wonderful place to gain experience, not the hardest place to work at. I'm surprised us young'uns aren't considering charity shops more often.

Heyy thanks!! Thats what I was thinking. I think its a lot of character stuff as I don't have any previous retail experience. But what should I say if they ask me why I want to work there??
Reply 11
Original post by Zahraa
Heyy thanks!! Thats what I was thinking. I think its a lot of character stuff as I don't have any previous retail experience. But what should I say if they ask me why I want to work there??

-why whsmiths (research the history of whsmiths you may need it)
-wok experience
-team player question, how have you worked in a team
-have you done up sales before- sales on the counter like 'would you be interested in a kitkat or comdom for 85p'eg
-why is the chewing gum more expensive here than other stores etc. -think motoway.

okay i think thats it but it might be more, i hope you get the job and i hope this helps. i almost got the job apparantly i was very close.
but i work with b&m homework and thats very good too, exept the **** pay but i can just let that past lol

good luck:redface:
I'd like to think that Smiths is a nice enough place to work. I hope it is.
Reply 13
-why whsmiths (research the history of whsmiths you may need it)
-wok experience
-team player question, how have you worked in a team
-have you done up sales before- sales on the counter like 'would you be interested in a kitkat or comdom for 85p'eg
-why is the chewing gum more expensive here than other stores etc. -think motoway.

okay i think thats it but it might be more, i hope you get the job and i hope this helps. i almost got the job apparantly i was very close.
but i work with b&m homework and thats very good too, exept the **** pay but i can just let that past lol

good luck:redface:

Thanks for the great advice, but I wasn't able to make the shifts they had available. I don't know why they bothered to call me. :frown: If I had been available, I think she would have given it to me. Never mind.

Thanks again. :biggrin:
I have an interview with them today. I'll try and remember as much as I can from the interview. I'll be mostly shaking in my legs too much to remember what happens.

I wish they called me up earlier, I can't really absorb the history of Smiths into my head in 24 hours. But, I will try. With the two jobs (1 is volunteering not paid of course, the other paid in the chemists) I'm doing, I stand a better chance than my last two interviews. Here's hoping.
The interview wasn't anything unexpected. The usual questions plus questions asking about various situations. I should hear by next Wednesday at the latest.
Reply 16
I had an interview on Friday and got offered the job (part time afternoon hours) today =) got my training wednesday...what can I expect?
Original post by Lasuil
I had an interview on Friday and got offered the job (part time afternoon hours) today =) got my training wednesday...what can I expect?

What was it like? I never got the job from my interview sadly.
Reply 18
Original post by nintendolad
What was it like? I never got the job from my interview sadly.

well it was the second time i'd interviewed for the same position since christmas...the area manager who interviewed me was super nice, and I think because I'd already answered most the questions the first time round I knew what to expect. He also didn't make me do that stupid maths test :biggrin:
Original post by Lasuil
well it was the second time i'd interviewed for the same position since christmas...the area manager who interviewed me was super nice, and I think because I'd already answered most the questions the first time round I knew what to expect. He also didn't make me do that stupid maths test :biggrin:

That's odd, I never got a maths test either. They do that in interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending