Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

science fiction and fantasy are garbage.

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it's trash. garbage. unholy filth for philistines. why do we tolerate the readers of this tripe?

99% of it is poorly written and the other 1% is nothing compared to the quality of writing you get from literary authors. fantasy and sci-fi readers don't even deserve the title of "readers" - sci-fi and fantasy require the reading level of a 5 year old child. if you think it makes you better, smarter or more cultured than people who watch garbage like reality TV then you're wrong; it's the same variety of easy-to-swallow nonsense for a generation of people unwilling to engage their dumb minds and put a little effort into what they do on a day-to-day basis.

most fantasy and sci-fi writers are objectively terrible and the critics agree with me. if the thought that just came into your mind is "taste is subjective" then you're wrong and you should kill yourself.

if you willingly buy, read and support the dreck then you support the death of literature. thanks for reading.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, not really.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbadon27)
    No, not really.
    The only book I got was Good Omens. It's good though.
    next.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Taste is subjective.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You are a naughty troll.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm only trolling a bit. i love literature and hate that it's dying and being replaced by garbage.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Taste is subjective.
    doesn't change the fact that idiots will subjectively have an idiot's bad taste.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poster child)
    next.
    Pratchett is a very funny author, bad troll!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    George R. R. Martin, Arthur C. Clarke, J. R. R. Tolkein, Tad Williams, David Eddings, R. A. Salvatore.

Enough said.

I could name more but do I need to? They are some very fine fantasy/science fiction authors.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to take the opinion seriously of someone who has an I heart a double child murderer sig. Your taste is obviously misguided.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm only trolling a bit. i love literature and hate that it's dying and being replaced by garbage.
    okay, but 1984 is amazing as is A clockwork orange as is A Scanner Darkly as is The Hobbit as is... I could go on, but you probably think all these are trash?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    George R. R. Martin, Arthur C. Clarke, J. R. R. Tolkein, Tad Williams, David Eddings, R. A. Salvatore.

Enough said.

I could name more but do I need to? They are some very fine fantasy/science fiction authors.
    oh my... they are already proving my point for me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the best literature is easy to read
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit, Sci-Fi and Fantasy are genres I've never been especially bothered about. There's only a few of each that I've read, however I did enjoy them (the Narnia books I loved, and I also enjoyed The Hobbit, The Day of the Triffids, The Wizard of Earthsea and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea). Although I much prefer other genres/ non-fiction subjects (travel writing, history, art, anthropology, mythology, some classic fiction both modern & older), I wouldn't say that SF and Fantasy are 'garbage', as although there are books of questionable quality (ie. Twilight), there are also some good books within the genres.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nah mate. There's a lot of badly written fantasy/sci fi out there, sure - but there are a lot of equally crappy books in other genres.

I study english lit, I have read and am very fond of a lot of older, more "literary" books but I still really enjoy well-written, clever fantasy and scifi.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    too presumptuous in drawing a line between fiction and fantasy, I think
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    the best literature is easy to read
    wrong.

(Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    I have to admit, Sci-Fi and Fantasy are genres I've never been especially bothered about. There's only a few of each that I've read, however I did enjoy them (the Narnia books I loved, and I also enjoyed The Hobbit, The Day of the Triffids, The Wizard of Earthsea and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea). Although I much prefer other genres/ non-fiction subjects (travel writing, history, art, anthropology, mythology, some classic fiction both modern & older), I wouldn't say that SF and Fantasy are 'garbage', as although there are books of questionable quality (ie. Twilight), there are also some good books within the genres.
    i hope you grow up one day and learn to appreciate good literature.

(Original post by Angela_Beth)
    Nah mate.
    wrong.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pseudo-intellectuals, got to love their opinion.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You should read Joe Abercrombie's trilogy, its kind of fantasy for people who don't like fantasy. They are so damn good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pseudo-intellectuals, got to love their opinion.
    the only pseudo-intellectual here is you. i know a lot more than you, as evidenced by me being right and you being wrong.

(Original post by SillyRodent)
    You should read Joe Abercrombie's trilogy, its kind of fantasy for people who don't like fantasy. They are so damn good.
    I happen to have flicked through some of his stuff. it's really not that great. at all.
Updated: December 28, 2010
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.