The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Error:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
I'll be honest with you, I know virtually nothing about Turkish politics, (and about politics in general :frown: ) so I better not get into this otherwise I'll end up making some pretty absurd statements. :colondollar:

Spoiler

I didn't know much about politics till I started following the Turkish and English elections till a couple of few years ago. Every single political party has flaws none of them are perfect.

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticSkills
I didn't know much about politics till I started following the Turkish and English elections till a couple of few years ago. Every single political party has flaws none of them are perfect.

Spoiler

I'm only just starting to learn.

It's no surprise that I know very little about politics though considering how painfully traditionalist my family is. I'm a Turkish Cypriot girl- My job is to make coffee, vacuum, dust, wash dishes and make cakes :blah: And in terms of gaining knowledge, I only need to be concerned with my lecture notes so that I could get a good job and thus marry a good Turkish husband like a pretty little han?m k?z. :sleep:

Overall, I think that the young Turkish population is out of touch with politics. It's increasingly being presented as something that's just made to be on late night TV featuring typical white haired overweight men ranting on about things, no better than the old guys you get on Fenerbahce TV. :shakecane:

It's a pity too because students make powerful political forces. Look at how they were during the last century of the Ottoman Empire. I can't wait to go to the next student protest, but what really annoys me is that the people I go with are even more clueless than me. One of them actually claims to be a communist, but hasn't even heard of Marx. :facepalm:

Spoiler

Reply 103
Original post by warrior-1
Salaam can I post here tho am not a Turk? Basically, am a Pakistani but love turkey and it's people so hi 5 lol

Basically, am warrior and doin law at the uni of Liverpool.

I like the liverpool accent :smile:
Reply 104
Original post by rhinger
Ahh Turkey!

The country that committed the Armenian/Assyrian/Greek GENOCIDE.

piss of
Reply 105
Wooo Hi! :smile:
Overall, I think that the young Turkish population is out of touch with politics. It's increasingly being presented as something that's just made to be on late night TV featuring typical white haired overweight men ranting on about things, no better than the old guys you get on Fenerbahce TV. :shakecane:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with that. Istanbul is a hive of political activity, with communist and nationalist posters pinned all over the place. And let's also not forget the infamous worker's protests. Politics is very important in the lives of Turkish people and it is a topic which is debated far more frequently among people than it is in England.

rhinger
Ahh Turkey!

You should read some genuine history. The only people who are in position to determine whether or not an act is genocide, at least in this situation, are the Ottoman historians, both Turkish and not.

Here's an American website about the topic. Here are some articles from the scholars:

Arend Jan Boekestijn

Spoiler

Youssef Courbage

Spoiler

Phillip Fargues

Spoiler

Secondly, the Armenians themselves massacred many thousands in their revolt. Here are some pictures:

Dynamite and Gunpowder found in Izmir

Weapons and explosive devices taken from the Armenians of Urfa

Arms taken from the Armenians in Trabzon

Arms taken from Armenians in Amasya

Arms found at an Armenian school

Armenian revolutionaries using Russian cannons. Showing that they were proxies of the Tzar

Armenian "cete" or gang , these gangs went around killing other Armenians suspected of sympathizing with the Sultan , and also prominent Turks. Notable victims include the Archibishop of Istanbul (the de facto leader of the Armenians)

Thus it comes as no surprise that the Armenians had to be moved from the Turko-Russian frontier during the war. They were like the Tzar's militia causing strife from within the borders. Of course, what happened during the exodus was tragic and one can't help but regret what happened. But nonetheless, it's better you stand from a more educated and enlightened viewpoint, than go about pointing fingers just because you've been indoctrinated to.

Thank you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by RamocitoMorales
I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with that. Istanbul is a hive of political activity, with communist and nationalist posters pinned all over the place. And let's also not forget the infamous worker's protests. Politics is very important in the lives of Turkish people and it is a topic which is debated far more frequently among people than it is in England.

You should read some genuine history. The only people who are in position to determine whether or not an act is genocide, at least in this situation, are the Ottoman historians, both Turkish and not.

Here's an American website about the topic. Here are some articles from the scholars:

Arend Jan Boekestijn

Spoiler

Youssef Courbage

Spoiler

Phillip Fargues

Spoiler

Secondly, the Armenians themselves massacred many thousands in their revolt. Here are some pictures:

Dynamite and Gunpowder found in Izmir

Weapons and explosive devices taken from the Armenians of Urfa

Arms taken from the Armenians in Trabzon

Arms taken from Armenians in Amasya

Arms found at an Armenian school

Armenian revolutionaries using Russian cannons. Showing that they were proxies of the Tzar

Armenian "cete" or gang , these gangs went around killing other Armenians suspected of sympathizing with the Sultan , and also prominent Turks. Notable victims include the Archibishop of Istanbul (the de facto leader of the Armenians)

Thus it comes as no surprise that the Armenians had to be moved from the Turko-Russian frontier during the war. They were like the Tzar's militia causing strife from within the borders. Of course, what happened during the exodus was tragic and one can't help but regret what happened. But nonetheless, it's better you stand from a more educated and enlightened viewpoint, than go about pointing fingers just because you've been indoctrinated to.

Thank you.

Totally agree with you! thankyou!
Reply 108
Original post by rhinger
Off*

Yet another denier of the truth. Why can't you Turks just admit to the Genocide? There's proof everywhere.

No wonder Europe hates you.

There is always just that one low person :rolleyes:
Reply 109
Original post by rhinger
Ahh Turkey!

Umm.. hmm... what an uneducated and ignorant fool you are.. piss off as a fellow person here also said! :wink: idiot
Reply 110
Original post by rhinger
Off*

Yet another denier of the truth. Why can't you Turks just admit to the Genocide? There's proof everywhere.

you really are stupid.. go read some history books fool! plus this is really not the place for this.. what are you going to gain by spreading hate? Just pis off to another thread
Original post by mlsdbk
Umm.. hmm... what an uneducated and ignorant fool you are.. piss off as a fellow person here also said! :wink: idiot

I'd have to disagree. The fellow man has his own opinion of events and he's entitled to it. If he's willing to debate in an educated and civilized manner then he's welcome to do so. But if he'd rather cause strife and disruption, then he can, as another member put it, 'piss off'. :wink2:

mlsdbk
plus this is really not the place for this.. what are you going to gain by spreading hate? Just pis off to another thread.

Although I suppose you're right in that this probably isn't the place.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 112
I'd have to disagree. The fellow man has his own opinion of events and he's entitled to it. If he's willing to debate in an educated and civilized manner then he's welcome to do so. But if he'd rather cause strife and disruption, then he can, as another member put it, 'piss off'. :wink2:

Although I suppose you're right in that this probably isn't the place.

Exactly.. and he's not doing it in a 'civilised manner' he is being offensive.. look what he said.. 'europe hates you' he can definitely piss off:wink:
Original post by mlsdbk
Exactly.. and he's not doing it in a 'civilised manner' he is being offensive.. look what he said.. 'europe hates you' he can definitely piss off:wink:

Welcome to the thread! :dancing2:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with that.

I better stop posting about politics before checking if it's correct with you first. :sadnod:
Reply 114
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk forever!!! <3
Original post by rhinger
Off*

Every country has its low points jackass, and the only people who hate us are stupid xenophobic trolls like you who can only find solice within the internet. When you say "hates you" you're referring to the ottoman monacy/government who committed these "crimes" not the actual people of my country.
Also in response to the idiot, check out religous tolerance within the Ottoman empire and how the Sephardic Jews sought refge within our colonies/territories after the Spanish inquisition.

If countries want us to admit the genocide they should admit their own crimes, a few things spring to mind.

The French Genocide of the Algerians
Belgian Genocide against the Congolese
Russian Oppression vs The Chechens
Englands indirect effect on the Potato famine in Ireland
Original post by ChaoticSkills
Also in response to the idiot, check out religous tolerance within the Ottoman empire and how the Sephardic Jews sought refge within our colonies/territories after the Spanish inquisition.

If countries want us to admit the genocide they should admit their own crimes, a few things spring to mind.

The French Genocide of the Algerians
Belgian Genocide against the Congolese
Russian Oppression vs The Chechens
Englands indirect effect on the Potato famine in Ireland

Someone's been reading some Seamus Heaney...

Original post by G_S
There is always just that one low person :rolleyes:

Haters gonna hate hun. :cool:
Original post by rhinger
Ahh Turkey!

Wow you sir will be hated forever now, I am sure we will have a notice saying 'no rhinger's" soon, then we will hack your computer, find out where you live, come to your house, take over it slowly, remove your head from your body.... (story continues of us killling your family and then everyone your related to)

Then you will be sorry, I hope you are prepared for the dark days of DOOM!
Someone's been reading some Seamus Heaney...

I did in college, him and Yates were the most prominent poets we discussed. Just a shame I never got a decent grade from English Literature.

Quick Reply

Latest