The Student Room Group

Poll: Would you rather live in a city or village?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm always a little tense when I'm in 'central London' etc. So many people! England in general has loads more people than I'm used to.
London alone has a higher population than my own country. I feel much more comfy in cities like Oxford. :love:

Though I do like London a lot.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Lozza_00
Why do you not even want to live in a village now but move to the biggest city in the whole country for uni?!

Well, I don't want to live in a village now because my house in over 500 years old and amazing :love: so I don't want to move. Also, my Mum has lived here for 25 years and isn't going to want to move! We have been snowed in since the 17th though, which is kind of irritating! But I don't really need a village, or a town, or city - I'm at school most of the day (incl clubs) and meet up with my friends most weekends, so who cares if there is no-one here who is under 60 now my neighbour has gone to Uni?! I lived in London until I was 5 and I go back fairly regularly so I'm not daunted by the size. I don't actually want to go to Uni there though, I am actually a bit put off due to the size. But I figure I'll have to grow up after that! Ideally, I would love to work for a national newspaper and where else am I going to do that? For now, I don't have a need of clubs/night life/high power jobs, I just need a home and a base - but later, I'll want a bit more excitement! I'd still rather live in a village or town though eventually (when I have kids etc)

What about you, OP?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Luceria
I'm always a little tense when I'm in 'central London' etc. So many people! England in general has loads of people, much more than I'm used to.
London alone has a higher population than my own country! I feel much more comfy in cities like Oxford. :love:

Though I do like London a lot.

what is your own country and what are the main differences between here and there?
Reply 43
I am even more confused than I was before reading this thread. I live in london (love it) there is everything. but I hate that its relatively much expensive and the fact it takes ages to get anywhere a lot of my time is wasted in commuting. I dream to live in a place where everything is no more than 5 mins away from yet it has all the facillities of a good city.
Reply 44
Original post by Lozza_00
what is your own country and what are the main differences between here and there?

Population size? I guess. 4,9 million vs 60+ million? (And England is smaller than Norway) . I really don't know what other main differences to mention, lol.
Original post by Meron
I am even more confused than I was before reading this thread. I live in london (love it) there is everything. but I hate that its relatively much expensive and the fact it takes ages to get anywhere a lot of my time is wasted in commuting. I dream to live in a place where everything is no more than 5 mins away from yet it has all the facillities of a good city.

Try an East Asian city.
Reply 46
At home I live in a town, and uni city.

I would pick city over village definitely. I live in a pretty rural area and there are lots of villages nearby/where my friends live. There are constantly people moving in to villages to 'start a new life in the country' and then within a year many move out, because they realise there is nothing there!

If you're in a city and you want food, or shopping, or attractions, you can just walk up the road. You get street lighting and road care and other stuff like that, basically you get your council taxes worth. But in a village you have to drive pretty much anywhere you want to go, and you get less public services and more stuff like spiders and the smell of poo from crops and stuff like that.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't comment at all on people that live in villages, and they do have great points too like how easy it is to go for a nice walk, quiet when you want it, awesome views of the night sky (which I love and is usually ruined by city lights). And I would want a SMALL city, I'm not a big city person... wouldn't want to live in london or anything. But I still would not choose to live permanently in a village.
Reply 47
I've grown up in a city and have gone to uni in a city. I would never consider not living in a city; the bigger the better (well until it starts getting confusing). I hate the "relaxed" countryside life, it's so inconvenient and nothing's ever open, plus I've never really heard of a village with a great nightlife, which is also very important to me. I mean, going to a village for a weekend or a week or so might be a nice relaxed "holiday" of sorts but I really couldn't live there for much longer than that. There's just nothing to do. Jeez, the mere fact of living in a suburb a 15 minute bus journey away from the city centre is enough of an inconvenience as it is!

My friend from uni was saying she lives like a 20 minute drive from the local shop! What do you do if you run out of food?!?! Go yonder into the woods and hunt a boar? Couldn't deal with it.

Basically; I'd rather live in some big and "happening" city and do fun **** than chill in a barn. Just my opinion, tho.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by frogout
I've grown up in a city and have gone to uni in a city. I would never consider not living in a city; the bigger the better (well until it starts getting confusing). I hate the "relaxed" countryside life, it's so inconvenient and nothing's ever open, plus I've never really heard of a village with a great nightlife, which is also very important to me. I mean, going to a village for a weekend or a week or so might be a nice relaxed "holiday" of sorts but I really couldn't live there for much longer than that. There's just nothing to do.

My friend from uni was saying she lives like a 20 minute drive from the local shop! What do you do if you run out of food?!?! Go yonder into the woods and hunt a boar? Couldn't deal with it.

Basically; I'd rather live in some big and "happening" city and do fun **** than chill in a barn. Just my opinion, tho.

Did I write this
Reply 49

City always.

Village has too much fresh air and stuff.
I live in a city. I will NEVER live in a village, what sort of antiquated barbaric idea is that? Cities are the only place to be, full of culture and variety and entertainment. Whats in a village? A pub and the smell of cow poo. I feel sorry for those who wake up and see fields and pigs outside of their window, instead of seeing the city streets.
Not just any city mind, the only one worth living in in the Uk is London
I went with the turnip one, 'cause I thought it was cute.
I've been living in a city (Vienna, 2 million inhabitants) and could not imagine living in a small town at all.
Original post by Lewroll
I live in a city. I will NEVER live in a village, what sort of antiquated barbaric idea is that? Cities are the only place to be, full of culture and variety and entertainment. Whats in a village? A pub and the smell of cow poo. I feel sorry for those who wake up and see fields and pigs outside of their window, instead of seeing the city streets.
Not just any city mind, the only one worth living in in the Uk is London

Are you joking? Have you ever been to the countryside? Don't you ever want to breath fresh air and just escape from the constant buzz of the city, with workers rushing here and there and everyone caught up in the depressed 9 to 5 office lifestyle? Don't you ever want to experience what the world looked like before we came along and screwed it up? :biggrin: I mean, don't get me wrong.. I love the city, I live in Cardiff, and will probably move to London, but I can still really appreciate the countryside. I could never just stay in a city, and forget about the rest of the world.
Reply 54
Original post by dnumberwang
Try an East Asian city.

Great you are so helpful, does East Asian city have a British University
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Are you joking? Have you ever been to the countryside? Don't you ever want to breath fresh air and just escape from the constant buzz of the city, with workers rushing here and there and everyone caught up in the depressed 9 to 5 office lifestyle?

Nope.

Don't you ever want to experience what the world looked like before we came along and screwed it up?

Yes, but I wouldn't want to live there. There's a difference. Plus the English countryside is woeful anyway

Original post by Meron
Great you are so helpful, does East Asian city have a British University

:facepalm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Are you joking? Have you ever been to the countryside? Don't you ever want to breath fresh air and just escape from the constant buzz of the city, with workers rushing here and there and everyone caught up in the depressed 9 to 5 office lifestyle? Don't you ever want to experience what the world looked like before we came along and screwed it up? :biggrin: I mean, don't get me wrong.. I love the city, I live in Cardiff, and will probably move to London, but I can still really appreciate the countryside. I could never just stay in a city, and forget about the rest of the world.

I've family in the countryside. I visit them occassionaly, for a holiday.
NO, I DON'T LIKE THE COUNTRYSIDE. Its quiet and smelly and boring. Sure in the city I'm more likey to be stabbed or mugged, but thats part of the thrill (although im probably more likely to be shot in the countryside, by a crazy farmer). If i want to see the primitive, rough side of nature, i will go to manchester.

:biggrin:
Reply 57
Where's the option for turnip rather live in the city?? :hmmm:
At home I live in a village. It's awesome. Lovely village pub, great community spirit. Love having loadsa wildlife and greenery around me.

At uni I live in a city. It's amazing. Great nightlife, always something going on. Awesome shopping and ease of access.

So basically I want to cut myself in two and have one part of me in a village and one part in a city =D
Reply 59
City > Village

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending