The Student Room Group

I actually managed to lose 3 stone in 3 months

Some months ago I found out that I needed to have this operation on my leg otherwise I'd get athritis by the time I was like 30 or something. But I needed to be a healthy weight to have it and at a little over 14 stone at 5 ft 10 I really wasn't. But now I have got down to 11 stone which gives me a healthy BMI and I can have the op. It only took me 3 months!

I went on weightwatchers which got me eating something like 1500 calories a day which wasn't extremely difficult. But the tricky part was the exercise. Based on my BMR, to lose 4lb a week, which I needed to do to lose 3 stone in 3 months, I needed to burn off 1800 calories every single day! Well it was either that or athritis, so I spent mornings doing an exercise dvd burning 600 cals, afternoons at the gym for an hour burning 600, and evenings on the treadmill for an hour burning 600, every single day.

I started this on October the 1st really hoping to be the right weight to have the op in January and I cant actually believe it worked. I didn't weigh myself throughout until today and its a real shock to go on the scales now and see that 3 stone has actually dropped off. Hopefully I can be an inspiration to all of you out there who really want to be healthier. I wouldn't recommend trying to lose it as fast as I did unless you need to have an op or something, but you can do it! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jennaz77

Some months ago I found out that I needed to have this operation on my leg otherwise I'd get athritis by the time I was like 30 or something. But I needed to be a healthy weight to have it and at a little over 14 stone at 5 ft 10 I really wasn't. But now I have got down to 11 stone which gives me a healthy BMI and I can have the op. It only took me 3 months!

I went on weightwatchers which got me eating something like 1500 calories a day which wasn't extremely difficult. But the tricky part was the exercise. Based on my BMR, to lose 4lb a week, which I needed to do to lose 3 stone in 3 months, I needed to burn off 1800 calories every single day! Well it was either that or athritis, so I spent mornings doing an exercise dvd burning 600 cals, afternoons at the gym for an hour burning 600, and evenings on the treadmill for an hour burning 600, every single day.

I started this on November the 1st really hoping to be the right weight to have the op in January and I cant actually believe it worked. I didn't weigh myself throughout until today and its a real shock to go on the scales now and see that 3 stone has actually dropped off. Hopefully I can be an inspiration to all of you out there who really want to be healthier. I wouldn't recommend trying to lose it as fast as I did unless you need to have an op or something, but you can do it! :biggrin:

So basically create a deficit of -300 every day? Really? :eek: That's amazing.
Reply 2
cool story sis
Reply 3
nice one!

well yeah, your supposed to burn off more than you eat to lose weight

I was expected a larger deficit really! So a deficit of -600 would mean losing 3 stone in 1.5 months? :smile:
Reply 5
Good for you :smile:

edit: wasn't being sarcastic
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
well yeah, your supposed to burn off more than you eat to lose weight

that's amazing!!! Congratulation!!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by im so academic
I was expected a larger deficit really! So a deficit of -600 would mean losing 3 stone in 1.5 months? :smile:

1kg = 6000 calories
1 pound = 3500 calories

it depends on your bmr. your body already burns around 1500 calories without doing any exercise, so i was eating just enough for my body to function and burning an extra 1800 calories a day. so its a 1800 deficit. :smile:

it depends on your bmr. your body already burns around 1500 calories without doing any exercise, so i was eating just enough for my body to function and burning an extra 1800 calories a day. so its a 1800 deficit. :smile:

Although not accurate, I have a BMR of 1387.2. So I guess if I ate nothing (which I wouldn't do) that's how much calories I would lose, right?
Although not accurate, I have a BMR of 1387.2. So I guess if I ate nothing (which I wouldn't do) that's how much calories I would lose, right?

yeah thats right, in 3 months you would lose about 2 and a half stone i think. but don't starve for 3 months lol !
Original post by frogout
Wow!!! Well done. I hope to follow in your footsteps. Well not 3 stone as I'd be underweight but 2 or so would be nice :biggrin:

yeah go for it! although I bet your current weight is lovely if 3 stone less would make you underweight
Reply 12
Well done! :smile: My diet starts again on January 1st :biggrin:
Reply 13
well done :smile:

i've got 5 stone to lose to be a healthy weight :frown: going to be really hard because im on meds that REALLY slow my metabolism :frown: starting on jan1st!

can i ask what dress size you were and what you are now? i'm 5"8.5 and hoping to get to about 11 stone 7lbs, which im hoping will put me in size 12/14.
(edited 13 years ago)
Congratulations and good luck with the operation!
Reply 15
lolwut? you don't 'eat' negative calories to lose weight. You eat less than your BMR.
Original post by sheepy18
well done :smile:

i've got 5 stone to lose to be a healthy weight :frown: going to be really hard because im on meds that REALLY slow my metabolism :frown: starting on jan1st!

can i ask what dress size you were and what you are now? i'm 5"8.5 and hoping to get to about 11 stone 7lbs, which im hoping will put me in size 12/14.

Good luck, you can definitely do it with time and motivation.
I was a size 16 -18 before, and now I'm size 12 and sometimes 10.
Reply 17

yeah thats right, in 3 months you would lose about 2 and a half stone i think. but don't starve for 3 months lol !

I think if you didn't eat for 3 months you would die. Not lose 'about 2 and a half stone'.

Just a guess.
Original post by PJ991
lolwut? you don't 'eat' negative calories to lose weight. You eat less than your BMR.

lol what are negative calories? I wish!
My BMR was 1777 and I ate 1500 and burnt 1800, so I was losing 2077 calories a day leading to about 4lb a week weight loss because there are 3500 calories in a pound.
Reply 19
Good luck, you can definitely do it with time and motivation.
I was a size 16 -18 before, and now I'm size 12 and sometimes 10.

Thanks.
perhaps I wont get into a 12 afterall, seeing as you're a bit taller and lighter and you're a 12.
I know a 12stones 7lbs I'm a 14. guess I'll have to wait and see!lol

Latest