Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Film of the Year

Announcements Posted on
Who has made TSR memorable for you? Nominate your favourite members in the TSR Community Awards for 2014 24-12-2014
  • View Poll Results: What do you think has been the best film released this year?
    Inception
    44.52%
    Shutter Island
    8.22%
    Catfish
    1.37%
    The Town
    2.05%
    Scott Pilgrim vs the World
    4.11%
    Toy Story 3
    8.22%
    The Social Network
    7.53%
    Monsters
    0.68%
    Four Lions
    1.37%
    Kick-Ass
    2.05%
    A Prophet (Un prophte)
    3.42%
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    0%
    Up In The Air
    0%
    Buried
    0.68%
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
    9.59%
    Other
    6.16%

• 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rogert Ebert says that 2010 has not been a great movie year, but has many great movies. While I'm not sure I agree with the former part of the quote, the latter is certainly true.

There have been movies that blurred the lines between reality and imagination, documentaries which changed their focus and tone during filming, family films with heart, strong additions to franchises and satires brimming with wit. Films have been elevated by individual performances to punch above their weight, while others were made memorable because of their script and direction. Films which shone way past their tiny budgets and others which tried their best to live up to the expectations generated by mountains of cash. Hollywood has provided some of the best films of the year, but many others have come from overseas.

With strong showings across pretty much all genres and encompassing many different styles, there has been something for everyone this year. So what's been your film of the year?

P.S. Due to TSR's polling system, some very worthy films had to be cut in order to get down to the 15 options. Apologies to Crazy Heart, The Road, Restrepo, How To Train Your Dragon, Exit Through The Gift Shop and The Secrets in Their Eyes, among others.
    • 161 followers

Awesome. :yy:

This is going to be extremely difficult. So many fantastic films this year, each worthy of recognition in its own right but I'm going to have to go with the film that I anticipated most this year and which delivered. A film which I walked away satisfied with the plot, acting, soundtrack and general idea and premise. A film which I'll remember in 5, 10, 20 years time. One which I'll go back to and one which has allowed for various interpretations, discussion and debate - each theory by a person as interesting as the next. I guess you could say it was the Matrix of 2010.

Inception.

Secondary choices would have been Shutter Island, Scott Pilgrim, Toy Story 3 and The Social Network. This has been a good year for films, 2011 is going to be better, hopefully.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Awesome. :yy:

*awaits poll*
    Poll up.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've only seen the two films from the ones listed in the poll. :ashamed2:

Voted for *Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really enjoyed Up In The Air and Crazy Heart (EDIT: whoops, Shutter Island was brilliant!), but I think Toy Story 3 was probably the best of the year. Considering the pressure that was riding on it to be good, they managed to create something that was outstanding and I doubt anyone would say they didn't do the trilogy justice. A very satisfying ending!

I think Inception is great but completely overrated - it's too long for its intensity.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Voted for Inception, most memorable film
    of the year by far
    • 161 followers

(Original post by lonely14)
    I've only seen the two films from the ones listed in the poll. :ashamed2:

Voted for *Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows*
    What is the other one you've watched?

You're missing out on some really good films!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Voted for Toy Story 3

Up in the Air is an excellent film, as is The Social Network.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Agreed that 2010 hasn't been the best year for film in recent memory, not too many memorable or outstanding films imo. It's been more of a year of promising but ultimately dissapointing films (Daybreakers, Devil, The Last airbender, Skyline to name a few)

Voted for Inception anyway, great acting and it's got such an imaginative and captivating concept, If you just heard about the plot alone you'd be grabbed by the idea of it. Also Christopher Nolan, that is all
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    Catfish gets my vote. I haven't felt as emotionally shaken once the film ended in a long time, and while if it is real it raises a lot of awkward ethical questions, as a viewing experience it is like nothing else. Harrowing.

Most of the films on that list I really enjoyed. However, special mention goes to:

• Inception - for proving that blockbusters don't have to be derivative to make masses of cash
    • Shutter Island - an under-appreciated gem which will be a classic in the future once everyone realises just how complex it is
    • Scott Pilgrim vs the World - So much fun, there's not a single frame in it I'd change
    • A Prophet - Simply sensational. If you haven't seen this (and chances are most people reading this haven't), go and watch it.
    • Buried - Ryan Reynolds can act. Who knew?
    • Monsters - tiny budget, big results.

And, because I'm a documentary fiend...

• Exit Through The Gift Shop
    • Restrepo
    • Food, Inc.
    • Collapse
    • Countdown to Zero
    • Inside Job
    • Waiting For Superman
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    What is the other one you've watched?

You're missing out on some really good films!
    *The Social Network* :laugh:

You're right. I still haven't watched Inception. :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Toy Story 3 moved so many people (especially those about to leave college, parents etc) including myself and it was so nostalgic it's got my vote
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My film of the year is "A Prophet" followed by "Kick Ass". To be honest, it's been a pretty disappointing year for films, Inception was okay but completely overrated, Shutter Island was certainly a "surprise" and The Town was excellent, best shoot out scenes since Heat.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't Avatar released this year?

Has anyone noticed lots of "A somethings"? A serious man, a single man, a prophet, an education... Hmm, thought there were loads.

Watched "The Town" the other day. I don't get it... Seems like an average channel 5 action movie at best.
    • 161 followers

(Original post by Ricky116)
    Wasn't Avatar released this year?
    2009. Time flies.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Inception, though Un Prophete was a close second. Inception was amazing, the acting and the plot were brilliant, but Un Prophete definitely deserves a mention
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another Year. I heart Mike Leigh.
    From that list, A Prophet, mostly because it's a brilliant film, but also because I watched it without subtitles and understood it, major achievement :awesome: Maybe I won't fail my degree after all.
    There were loads of great films this year, including those which haven't been released here yet but seem brilliant: True Grit, Black Swan, The King's Speech, 127 Hours.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dothestrand)
    There were loads of great films this year, including those which haven't been released here yet but seem brilliant: True Grit, Black Swan, The King's Speech, 127 Hours.
    I class those as next year's great films. :p:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I class those as next year's great films. :p:
    Indeed. Why can't they just release them everywhere at the same time?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    un prophete!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 15, 2011
New on TSR

TSR awards 2014

Who should win? Have your say!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.