The Student Room Group

Politics and Philosophy Degree - advise please!

Hello!

I am considering applying for PP - Philosophy and Politics BA.
My other option is english literature - which is best?

I did a-levels in religious studies and english literature but have no work experience or education in politics - will this lower my chances of getting in?
I got AAA at a-level and straight As at GCSE.

I am considering a career in political journalism however want to keep my options open.

I am currently a first year Law LLB undergrad, however I am absolutely hating it so I have decided to reapply. I have left it incredibly last minute with revising for exams etc, so any advise would be invaluable!

Any opinions about the courses would be great.

Also, what would be good to put in a personal statement for PP?

I am definately applying to Manchester for PP, if you know of any good universities who offer it, please let me know! I don't want to do economics, and I am struggling to find places that offer just PP.

Thank you in advance!
doubt having not studdied politics before will really affect you chances of getting on the course. i studdied history and politics at uni having never studied politics before and you have great grades

i honestly wouldnt worry about it
Reply 2
that's a relief!
any ideas about what to put in a personal statement etc? I have a week to do my application and this time have no tutor to help me so I'm a little concerned about getting in!
Wish i could do history, but without a history alevel or gcse.
Many schools cannot offer politics, so politics departments never require you have a politics A-level.

For undergraduate degrees I have it on good authority that grades matter very much and personal statements matter very little, though I guess you'd have to sound convincing that you really do want to study the subject and aren't just going to drop out again.

I know York do Politics and Philosophy, though to be honest I would expect loads of places offer it. I'm sure you are capable of finding this out for yourself.
have you checked out the personal statements section on this site ?
i really doubt the uni actually reads them anyway it would take forever to read through them all. I think my personal statement was awfull i dont remember taking much time over it - your grades speak for themselves

if your applying for 1st year you most likely will have to take at least 3 subjects within the social sciences anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending