The Student Room Group

Friend overpaid by work. She told, would you?

Poll

Would you tell boss of money mistake?

My friend got overpaid by £1000 last month at work, but she told her boss so that if they found out, her job would be secure and it would show that she was an honest person when it comes to her getting promoted.

Would you tell? Would your answer be different if the money was more or less than £1000?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hmm. I hope I would. I told last time I got overmarked on a test at least... in Year 9.
Reply 2
I would.
Reply 3
So she only did it in hopes of getting a promotion, not because she knew it was the right thing to do. And this is the train of thought of most people. Yet they will still tell themselves they are a good person for doing it. I would keep the money, yo.
Reply 4
I would, because if they discovered I hadn't told them they would dock me of the pay at a later date and possibly hold it over my head that I didn't tell about it.
Yeah I'd always tell no matter how much. Partly because it's right, partly because I'd feel so guilty, and anyway at my old job they had a massive big meeting when someone got an extra £90, it was like the spanish inquisition. They'd find out who had it anyway wouldn't they?
Reply 6
I would because I'd probably notice if it was £1000 difference! I'm sure they'd realise too and it'd look suspicious if I didn't report it. If it was less than £100ish I probably wouldn't notice since I only ever had a rough idea of what I would be paid that month - I probably should be more careful!

But yeh, if I noticed I would tell.
For such a large amount I would, because it's likely it would have been noticed at a later date, and if found out could cost my job and dignity.

However if it was a small amount i.e. less than £50, then I wouldn't mention it, and consider it a bonus :smile:
Reply 8
I work part time so only do ~20 hours/fortnight at nearer minimum wage so my page packet is never exactly huge. I did get overpaid once though and I told my boss simply because it makes you seem more trustworthy, and someone once said to me that employers can ask for money back if they later discover they've overpaid you. All my friends keep the money if they get overpaid though, so I'm not really sure..
Reply 9
OK, so far, more people have posted saying they would return it than what the poll says...Hmmm interesting!
Reply 10
Yeah, because when they find out you still have to pay it back.
Reply 11
i wouldnt tell coz it wasnt my fault that the overpay occured despite how big or small the amount is.
Yeah, not out of morals or anything but because it's very likely I'd get caught out - they'd realise eventually. It's too big an amount to just slip off the radar (or for me to be able to deny realising).
Not if it was under about £20. If they asked me about it I'd play dumb and go: "I didn't realise I'd been overpaid. Sorry about that."
I probably wouldn't even realise unless it was a large amount, but yeah.
Reply 15
Yes - mainly because I think it would be found out of I didn't :tongue:
Claim ignorance :proud:
It's fraud if you don't. Unless it's an acceptably small amount that it wouldn't be something you'd notice (an extra 50p for example). So a value that high, yes you would have to inform them unless you wanted to commit a crime.
Reply 18
Original post by ash-corbett-collins
For such a large amount I would, because it's likely it would have been noticed at a later date, and if found out could cost my job and dignity.

However if it was a small amount i.e. less than £50, then I wouldn't mention it, and consider it a bonus :smile:

This :smile: Just a small overpayment I'd keep, I'd feel too bad keeping £1000 that wasn't mine though.
what dopey fool would not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending