The Student Room Group

University a waste of time?

So, we've pretty much established that it's not the degree that'll get you a job, it's the EC.

Fine... but what then is the point of uni? I came here to really study and enjoy my subject. So far, I'm enjoying it, but all this stuff about needing EC is bothering me.

Surely, by this logic, it would've been better to apprentice myself at 16, thus leaving lots and lots of time for helping disabled kids and generally making myself a shining example of society.

Comments?

Especially from Fluffy...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm DUMB....... what's EC?
Reply 2
MRLX69
I'm DUMB....... what's EC?

Extra Curricular
Reply 3
I admit EC isn't for everyone, and I agree I think it's largely pointless, however it does give you a view on life you may not otherwise experience, so it's probably worth trying to make the most of.

Your thread title suggests everything in university is a waste of time, which isn't the case at all :p:
Reply 4
Princess Ana
So, we've pretty much established that it's not the degree that'll get you a job, it's the EC.

That's rubbish really. For example, a first in Mathematics can't be substituted for a 2:2 in media studies and any amount of extra curricular activities. :smile:

I'm only in my first year and don't seem to have very much time where I'm not studying or doing other vital things. When I've then spent time going to debating or going to see a movie I don't really have any time to do many 'CV building' activities.

Of course, if you're studying an arty subject then you'll have time to do all the EC things you could dream of.
I'm sure there are plenty of graduate only jobs where you don't actually use your degree at all. Unless you're doing something like medicine, it's a very good question. Unfortunately, these days everyone has a degree, so employers ask for one because they can, and because graduates tend to be more academic than people who didn't go to uni, and are a few years older and wiser than school leavers.
--------------
Gaz031

Of course, if you're studying an arty subject then you'll have time to do all the EC things you could dream of.

This is a myth, which seriously needs to be dispelled. :mad:
Reply 6
susiemakemeblue

Lol, everyone in my flat hates me because I get a reading week!
Reply 7
It's a mix.

You won't get anywhere if you're polar...
Reply 8
susiemakemeblue
I'm sure there are plenty of graduate only jobs where you don't actually use your degree at all. Unless you're doing something like medicine, it's a very good question. Unfortunately, these days everyone has a degree, so employers ask for one because they can, and because graduates tend to be more academic than people who didn't go to uni, and are a few years older and wiser than school leavers.

It's not so much a question aimed with myself in mind (for a potential career as a physicist, a degree is not optional).

My point was - doesn't this destroy the whole ideal of university? I want to lose myself from the world for a few years, and persue my dreams of knowledge for the few years of this mortal life that one is allowed to do this before being cast into the cruel world. This involves team work, communication skills, computer skills, jobs (gotta fund that student lifestyle!) and all those things employers go agog for. So why should I have to fritter away the most precious years of my life proving that I can do these things outside of a university context?
Reply 9
susiemakemeblue
:ditto:

a friend of mine does art says it takes up most of his study time than any other subject...
the same person is also in my physics class, and he does business and used to do maths aswell...
in the end, he got respectable grades in all his subjects...
Reply 10
Too many people are going to university. It takes way more than a degree to get you a decent job in todays market.

Jobs that were 'school leaver entry' when I did my first degree are now classed as 'graduate-level' - including trainee assistant manager at McDonalds!
Princess Ana
It's not so much a question aimed with myself in mind (for a potential career as a physicist, a degree is not optional).

My point was - doesn't this destroy the whole ideal of university? I want to lose myself from the world for a few years, and persue my dreams of knowledge for the few years of this mortal life that one is allowed to do this before being cast into the cruel world. This involves team work, communication skills, computer skills, jobs (gotta fund that student lifestyle!) and all those things employers go agog for. So why should I have to fritter away the most precious years of my life proving that I can do these things outside of a university context?

I think you're supposed to enjoy doing them. :wink:
Reply 12
Too many people are going to university. It takes way more than a degree to get you a decent job in todays market.

Surely this argument only really applies for graduates of the newer and less traditional easier subjects? I don't see anyone commenting that there are too many physicists or mathematicians.
Reply 13
Gaz031
Surely this argument only really applies for graduates of the newer and less traditional easier subjects? I don't see anyone commenting that there are too many physicists or mathematicians.

Of course there's a lot of supply and demand involved, but the fact that you can do a physics D.Phil at Oxford with a 2.2 must tell you something abot market forces :wink:

Relitively few people study these subjects at university level...

I've known plenty of graduates from Red Bricks who have had a hell of a time getting a job...
Reply 14
OK I've never really thought about this, I'm at University at the moment. What kind of EC activities should people generally participate in for better chances?

I was thinking of going abroad in my 3rd year (industrial placement). Surely this would show:

a) you were willing to work for a year to get experience,
b) Had the guts to go and live in another country,
c) You applied your knowledge from Years 1/2 to successfully work in a business environment, among many other things?
Reply 15
I did an industrial placement (self organised) - it definitely made my cv much stronger than it was...

They are very competative though - espeically difficult to crack the market if you're not on a sandwich course - although I managed it.

What are you thinking of doing?
Reply 16
Hell, I don't care really, anything to do with computer networking. Will probably just be a Systems Administrator's slave for a year though :rolleyes:

I would love to go to Germany and learn more of the language while I'm there.
Reply 17
Fluffy
I did an industrial placement (self organised) - it definitely made my cv much stronger than it was...

They are very competative though - espeically difficult to crack the market if you're not on a sandwich course - although I managed it.

What are you thinking of doing?

What's the opinion of a year in Europe, studying in the foreign language?

Because that's gonna mess up any chance of extra-curricular in my third year - I'll be too busy trying to survive in another culture and language, much less pass my exams for admittance to the fourth year back home.
Reply 18
And I just quit the OTC (Army cadet thing) to make more time to ensure I get my first in Maths and ComSci!! :confused: ........ was that a HUGE mistake?!
Reply 19
Princess Ana
What's the opinion of a year in Europe, studying in the foreign language?

Because that's gonna mess up any chance of extra-curricular in my third year - I'll be too busy trying to survive in another culture and language, much less pass my exams for admittance to the fourth year back home.

At the end of the day, you only get out of something what you put in.

Latest

Trending

Trending