The Student Room Group

Working as a City Solicitor if am a foreigner...

Hey guys... I just wanted to find out something that's been bothering me for the past few days...

As a Singaporean student, would it be possible for me to apply for vacation schemes and training contracts, and eventually work in the UK as a City solicitor permanently? My sister keeps saying that it is impossible for a foreigner to get a job in the UK? Is that true? If so, all my hopes and dreams would be crushed before I even get started on my degree...

:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where are you studying or planning to study your degree?
Reply 2
The University of Nottingham
Reply 3
In which case, provided you satisfy the usual residency requirements for working in the UK, there will be no problem. UK City firms will consider your application on its merits.
Reply 4
I'm sorry... I don't really understand. Could you explain it to me in a bit more detail? Everyone's been giving me gloom and doom stories about how difficult it is to get a work permit etc etc and how most overseas students have to return home as there are very few opportunities to get jobs in UK, or is it different for the legal profession. I would really appreciate it if you could elaborate on this?
Reply 5
Sorry, I can't. I'm afraid I don't know what the work permit requirements are for the UK. I don't see that the requirements will be any different for the legal profession than any other job.

I suggest you make enquiries of the relevant UK government department and/or a immigration agent as soon as possible. I assume you have a student visa of some form in order to study at Nottingham?
Reply 6
As a student from Singapore, I don't need a visa, just an entry clearance... I guess my two options would be getting a work permit if I manage to get a job offer, or working in Singapore/elsewhere for a few years before applying to work in the UK under the Highly Skilled Migrants Programme then...
Reply 7
That seems right although, as mentioned earlier, I just don't have any detailed knowledge of immmigration procedures in the UK. It may be worth contacting a number of the City firms to enquire whether they are likely to consider a student such as yourself for a TC/whether they assist with immigration procedures.

You may also wish to consider whether a vacation placement would constitute "work" and whether that would be in breach of the conditions of your current student entry clearance.
Reply 8
Yeah, I'll get cracking on that asap... Sigh, wish me luck...
Reply 9
I don't know anything about it but imagine it could well be hard as there were tons of internationals on the law undergrad here but only a couple on the lpc.
Reply 10
Fa|ique
Hey guys... I just wanted to find out something that's been bothering me for the past few days...

As a Singaporean student, would it be possible for me to apply for vacation schemes and training contracts, and eventually work in the UK as a City solicitor permanently? My sister keeps saying that it is impossible for a foreigner to get a job in the UK? Is that true? If so, all my hopes and dreams would be crushed before I even get started on my degree...

Dear me - let me brighten your day! :smile: I am a foreigner too, so I know what I'm on about.

Not a problem at all. The top City firms are all international, so they welcome international students; the work permit is no problem for them. There are Singaporean students who join City law firms every year.

However, there IS a caveat. You must generally be a 'better' candidate than the home students. If two candidates are equal, they will take the home student because it is just less of a hassle. But if you are better, then there should be no problem. Better means graduating with a high 2.1 from a top uni, being very active in extra-curricular activities at uni and generally being a personable and well-rounded student. Mandarin language skills are in particular seen VERY favourably (it also makes the work permit application faster).

It's a pity you dislike your country so much. I love the Singaporean government (not so much its people! lol). Lee Kuan Yew is one of my heroes. (ok, I can almost hear you scream!).

Good luck!
Reply 11
lawgrad
Mandarin language skills are in particular seen VERY favourably (it also makes the work permit application faster).

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Muy bien.

Or shall I say:

Hin hao.
Reply 12
lawgrad
Dear me - let me brighten your day! :smile: I am a foreigner too, so I know what I'm on about.

Not a problem at all. The top City firms are all international, so they welcome international students; the work permit is no problem for them. There are Singaporean students who join City law firms every year.

However, there IS a caveat. You must generally be a 'better' candidate than the home students. If two candidates are equal, they will take the home student because it is just less of a hassle. But if you are better, then there should be no problem. Better means graduating with a high 2.1 from a top uni, being very active in extra-curricular activities at uni and generally being a personable and well-rounded student. Mandarin language skills are in particular seen VERY favourably (it also makes the work permit application faster).

It's a pity you dislike your country so much. I love the Singaporean government (not so much its people! lol). Lee Kuan Yew is one of my heroes. (ok, I can almost hear you scream!).

Good luck!

You have no idea how happy you've made me (bar the Singapore govt statement, which I refuse to comment on) :biggrin: ...

Well, because I took Malay, I don't think that the Mandarin language skills would apply to me...

Well, time to do my very best to get a first from Notts then eh? Wonder whether I should start hitting the books while in NS... Hmm.

Again, many many thanks... I really appreciate this precious nugget of info...
Reply 13
Hey what about EU students? Are we considered the same as the UK students or is there still some sort of discrimination when applying to City Firms?
Reply 14
@falque: I think studying in the country allows you to come here without permits etc but you cannot legally work. Hence you must either apply for one or be looking to spend the allocated time in the uk to claim UK citizenship.

You are best off going to the government websites.

@death: Theorectically you shouldnt be discriminated as it is how quallified you are for the job. Practically it would be HARD to rule out any kind of prejudice.

When it comes to real life there will be such a variation between everyone's qualifications that coming from the e.u or not doesnt matter

Since the uk is part of the e.u. there is the whole freedom of labour freedom of goods etc etc so coming to the uk shouldnt be a problem.

Just check with your government websites.
Reply 15
Fa|ique
As a student from Singapore, I don't need a visa, just an entry clearance... I guess my two options would be getting a work permit if I manage to get a job offer, or working in Singapore/elsewhere for a few years before applying to work in the UK under the Highly Skilled Migrants Programme then...

Incidentally, have you given any thought to Johnson, Stokes & Master?
Reply 16
Not quite sure if I can the relevance of JSM given that (a) the poster wants to work in the UK and (b) JSM aren't in Singapore even if he/she wanted to remain in that jurisdiction.
Reply 17
chalks
Not quite sure if I can the relevance of JSM given that (a) the poster wants to work in the UK and (b) JSM aren't in Singapore even if he/she wanted to remain in that jurisdiction.

I had assumed his language skills might commend him to such a course; a 'mere puff', perhaps, but that's what you get at 6.15 a.m. :rolleyes:
Reply 18
A better option would be to seek employment with one of the City firms with offices there with a view to a subsequent inter-office transfer to London. Unlikely, but possible.

As it is, I see that other posters have provided some comfort as to the possibility of work permits and the like.
Reply 19
Unfortunately, I don't speak Mandarin, and I'd rather not work in HK by any chance. But thanks for the advice anyway...

Latest

Trending

Trending