The Student Room Group

Seriously Regretting Epilating my bikini line

I'm posting in H+R because I want to remain anonymous, please don't move this.

I started epilating the top/mons area around a year ago, and it was fine. Recently' however, I've been getting loads of red, bumpy ingrowns which keep coming back, and the rash doesn't go for a few days. I'm too ashamed to let my bf see me bottomless, let alone go down on me, even in the dark. I started doing it way before I met him, so I don't know why it's suddeny gotten so bad.
Shaving is too itchy and waxing too expensive. I don't want to just leave it, is there anything I can do?

tbh, I'm expecting a barrage of insults (hence the reason I wanted to go anon) but I thought I'd try anyway.

Scroll to see replies

I think if you exfoliate it stops you getting ingrown hairs.. maybe try that? and shaving isn't so bad if you use a moisturizer afterwards xxxx

Nothing good can come of putting that near your vagina.
Waxing doens't have to be expensive if you're prepared to do it at home. You can buy a jar which will last ages on the bikini line for a tenner. You've just got to be good at gritting your teeth and actually pulling off the strip :wink:

However, as to the epilating..I do my underarms, and I find if I epilate too many times in a row, the hairs because they're becoming thinner [one of the pros of epilating] they tend to break off, or become so thin and weak they can't pierce through the skin, thus becoming ingrown hairs. So for every few times I epilate, I have to shave a couple of times, to give the hairs a chance to grow back a bit thicker.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Sure it's not herpes?
What about Veet cream? It's not painful like waxing is.
Original post by JCC-MGS

Ah, this made me recoil in horror.
I got my first epilator when I was 14 in preparation for beautiful summer legs at Download festival. I, somehow, managed to rip my skin off from my bikini line, leaving fresh, sticky flesh that stuck to my underwear and was a pain (literal pain) to rip away from my skin. Every scar tells a tale, I guess...
Reply 7
Original post by xnatalie01x
What about Veet cream? It's not painful like waxing is.

Thanks for the suggestion. I use it on my legs every now and again and it isn't very effective, plus it grows back very quickly. Would it even work on thicker hair?
Ugh I don't think I could epilate there...

To be fair though, I just attack in-growing hairs - I get them on my legs after epilating - as soon as I can spot them. You can't really stop them but getting them early is helpful.

But the raised spots, hmm... ice your faff after epilating? :lolwut:
Reply 9
Original post by JCC-MGS

Nothing good can come of putting that near your vagina.

Well it doesn't go near my vagina, I just do the top bit. I'm not a madwoman.
Original post by ellakrystina
Ah, this made me recoil in horror.
I got my first epilator when I was 14 in preparation for beautiful summer legs at Download festival. I, somehow, managed to rip my skin off from my bikini line, leaving fresh, sticky flesh that stuck to my underwear and was a pain (literal pain) to rip away from my skin. Every scar tells a tale, I guess...

Ahh yes. I had a similar result (from entirely different causes) a couple of months ago. Around my birthday actually. I leaned my hip against an ultra hot reading lamp accidentally. Apart from the excruciating pain, the skin itself took days to 'dry' and even then the scab wouldn't form properly. Made wearing any kind of trouser a BITCH. Gah, getting it down there though? Ergh.

OP; give it a break for a few days and let it settle? And just tell the bf, I'm sure he really won't care.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the suggestion. I use it on my legs every now and again and it isn't very effective, plus it grows back very quickly. Would it even work on thicker hair?

On thicker hair I'd probably go over it twice if you need to. I'm quite fair and have little hair so it does the job for me. I suppose hair does grow back quite quickly but it's better than shaving bumps imo and no pain :smile:
Original post by I'm_Unsafe.
Ahh yes. I had a similar result (from entirely different causes) a couple of months ago. Around my birthday actually. I leaned my hip against an ultra hot reading lamp accidentally. Apart from the excruciating pain, the skin itself took days to 'dry' and even then the scab wouldn't form properly. Made wearing any kind of trouser a BITCH. Gah, getting it down there though? Ergh.

Oh yeah, getting it down there is a bitch. The scar is still white and slightly shiny which is strange. It didn’t heal for weeks! Scabs near air to dry out and there's no way of getting air down there during the day unless you install a miniature fan or have excess gas or something...
You should get one of these exfoliating scrubbers and scrub a little hard.. (for the ingrowing hairs)

If it never happened before.. maybe somethings changed :s possibly with your epilator..

I dont see how waxing is so expensive.. if you buy a tub.. it lasts for quite long, and you're hair free for longer. Unless you get it removed professionally..
(edited 13 years ago)

You should give Nair a try. I find it works better than Veet ( although I still need to leave it on longer than recommended .... ) :smile:
Reply 15
Have any of you girls ever tried an electric razor? I know guys that use them to shave their heads and claim that they do as good as a blade. They don’t require lubricant and I would think that it would be a lot easier while requiring less time while reducing the chance of nicks etc.
eh waxing is better :yep:
Reply 17

Veet works for me :smile: Best thing is it's painfree! But as for your current situation you should start exfoliating and moisturising regularly to help get rid of and prevent ingrown hairs.
Original post by Peachykeen09

But it's freaking painful. :sigh:

Use a razor instead. At least thats what i do.

Although this is true, the OP's objection on costs ought to be noted. Waxing oneself is not an easy task.

Latest

Trending

Trending