The Student Room Group

Where else should I apply...

So basically, I have applied to the following universities so far:

Oxford - interview but no offer
King's College London
Exeter
Warwick

I was a little gutted about Oxford, also seeing as I haven't had an offer (or rejection) from the others. I was always looking for an insurance as the offer would be as follows:

Oxford AAA
King's AAB
Exeter AAA-AAB
Warwick AAB

I wanted an ABB, but the thing is, I don't particularly like the universities with that offer for English. I know I don't particularly intend on going to it, but I still want something I would be happy to go to.

So here in lies the dilemma. Should I put down an insurance ABB option that I'm not too keen on?

Should I wait and see my offers for the others and then decide (bearing in mind that would be leaving it very late)?

Should I just put down somewhere with a higher offer, but that I really want to go to?

Please let me know what you think! Also is it true that Durham don't take people that they think applied to Oxford?

Many thanks guys
Reply 1
Durham would have no idea that you applied to Oxford, they only way they could hazard a guess is if they recieve your application before the 15th October (which clearly they wont :tongue:) and even then they wouldnt have known for sure.

I dont see any point in applying to a uni you dont want to go to, so if youre confident of getting at least AAB then theres little point?
Original post by Captain92
If you applied for Oxford you must have sent your application before 15th Oct so how are you planning to add choices in now?

OP has only applied to four unis so can add a fifth choice via track.

As other people have said, Durham won't know that you have applied to Oxford and even if they did you will not be disadvantaged. I would put down a place you want to go. How confident are you that you will achieve AAB?
Original post by Captain92
You can do that?!
Man I wish somebody had told me that.

Yes :smile: You can add a choice up until the 15th of Jan and still be considered equally with all other applicants.
Reply 4
I knew you could do that, but my schools insistent, when you apply they only let it through if you apply to all 5.
Reply 5
There isn't much point applying to a university if you aren't keen on it and wouldn't want to go there. Applying there would be a waste of a choice.
Original post by Speckle
I knew you could do that, but my schools insistent, when you apply they only let it through if you apply to all 5.

Soemone needs to challenge them on that, because they may be disadvantaging you. If you want to put in a very early application for 3 top unis to see how it goes and then if you are rejected outright reconsider your last 2 choices, it should be up to you.

Oh this UCAS thing, applying before you actually have your exam results is such a gamble, I hate it. I also agree that finding yourself an insurance choice that you would not be happy with would be a total waste of an application.

To the OP I would not be leaving that last choice for much longer - the unis you have applied to are all very competitive, I am not trying to be negative, but you have chosen a popular subject and there is a huge scramble for places this year so maybe it would be better to leave your last place for one of the less competitive AAB unis that you would be prepared to go to - to at least try to secure offers - and then consider what you can do to enhance your application next year if you should miss your grades (it can happen just due to one unfortunate question in the exam) and don't end up with what you want.

Now is the time to make that last choice and then switch off TSR and start on your coursework :eek:
Reply 7
Original post by ollienbert
Oh this UCAS thing, applying before you actually have your exam results is such a gamble, I hate it. I also agree that finding yourself an insurance choice that you would not be happy with would be a total waste of an application.

I think they do it to stop people mass applying. I know if I didn't have a limit I'd apply to at least 50 unis.
thanks everyone this is helpful, these are my further thoughts...

Durham- offer AAA, but has pretty much everything I am looking for in a uni, only downside is that it is pretty far from home

Royal Holloway- offer AAB, another insurance type offer with a good rep, but not too high

Nottingham- offer AAB- ABB but for American and English studies. Not sure about how different this is to English lit, and if my personal statement would fit this course

I am still considering others but I have looked further at these options, any thoughts?

Thank you very much for your time also :smile:
Reply 9
I've heard very good things about Royal Holloway for English. Try not to let distance put you off, I've heard regardless the distance from home you'll visit an equal amount of times. I restricted myself because of distance and regret it a little.
Original post by myoldaccountbroke

Durham- offer AAA, but has pretty much everything I am looking for in a uni, only downside is that it is pretty far from home

How far? I'm hoping to go to Durham, but also worrying as its 7 hours on the train from home :s-smilie:
Original post by myoldaccountbroke

Royal Holloway- offer AAB, another insurance type offer with a good rep, but not too high

Nottingham- offer AAB- ABB but for American and English studies. Not sure about how different this is to English lit, and if my personal statement would fit this course

I am still considering others but I have looked further at these options, any thoughts?

Thank you very much for your time also :smile:

Nottingham is a great city for students (I went to school there) and the university is high on the league tables, but this

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course.php?code=000636

looks a little different to English Lit (but to me really interesting, especially having a year in the States). If you want to study English you would not really be doing the course that you want.

I am sure that your personal statement would not quite fit, but the course looks so 'different' to so many other English courses in high league unis, that they must have many applicants whose PS is not exactly written for that course. I mean how many ABB courses are there like that.

BTW Any course that has 'studies' sort of puts me off, it sounds so sort of 'modern' (Religious Studies being the only exception). People will ask "what are you reading?" and you answer "American and English Studies" I can just hear the answer "yeah, I love the States, Florida is really cool".

I really think you have to think ahead, the title of your degree has to go on your CV.

There are lots of other good unis where you can read English - just look through the UCAS search. You really are the one to decide where you want to live for the next 3 years,
big city like Manchester, Nottingham, Leeds
Campus Uni, like Kent, Reading, Surrey (I think).
Town centre like Sheffield, Newcastle, Manchester.
Cheaper accomodation like Newcastle, Cardiff (so I have been told).
And of course, although it is not essential as you can easily do an assignment on the train journey home, just how near to your home town you want to study.

In the end I think it is the course that is the deciding factor. Not many people drop out because of the town where they studied, it is more to do with not being on the right course for them.
Original post by The Cello Ninja
How far? I'm hoping to go to Durham, but also worrying as its 7 hours on the train from home :s-smilie:

Look at you 5 offers, well done.

Don't worry about 7 hours, it probably will not be cheap but as long as you book ahead you can get home. As I said before, it can be a good opportunity to get an assignment typed up (as long as you have well prepared notes). It won't be easy if you have to take you cello with you every time you go home. :eek:
Original post by ollienbert

Don't worry about 7 hours, it probably will not be cheap but as long as you book ahead you can get home. As I said before, it can be a good opportunity to get an assignment typed up (as long as you have well prepared notes). It won't be easy if you have to take you cello with you every time you go home. :eek:

Yup, it's going to be a bit of a problem.
And also my laptop seems inclined to run out of battery after an hour of use... :rolleyes:
Original post by The Cello Ninja
Yup, it's going to be a bit of a problem.
And also my laptop seems inclined to run out of battery after an hour of use... :rolleyes:

If you get the 'right seat' on a train you will be ok because there are plugs for laptops. I can't remember which seat you need to choose, I think I sat at a window/table seat in December and had a plug beside me.

Quick Reply

Latest