The Student Room Group

TSR Amateur Athletes Society

Scroll to see replies

Should probably update on my ankle - officially discharged from hospital and could be back playing competitive football again within 5 weeks.

Recovery time being somewhat hampered by an infection in my toe though.
Original post by Khanage
Nobodys posted here in time!!

I myself am not playing sport atm, but working as an intern for a professional rugby team in Wales. Gonna join a local club in september/october probably.

Anyone else playing rugby?

Played campus league last year, hopefully play for the local rugby team broughton park 2nd, 3rd or 4th team this year. I would go for the uni team but apparently the manchester team is full of dickheads.
Reply 102
Original post by Militantbuthopeful
Played campus league last year, hopefully play for the local rugby team broughton park 2nd, 3rd or 4th team this year. I would go for the uni team but apparently the manchester team is full of dickheads.

Nice, what position do you play? do you lift aswell?
2nd or 3rd row, I do indeed around a 410/420 total at 94 kilo body weight. I need to pack on some serious mass. I was hoping to do it over the summer but I've been living at home so haven't been able to diet as effectively as I'd like
Reply 104
2nd or 3rd row, I do indeed around a 410/420 total at 94 kilo body weight. I need to pack on some serious mass. I was hoping to do it over the summer but I've been living at home so haven't been able to diet as effectively as I'd like

Nice, im gonna assume 3rd row means back row :P

Sounds good anyway mate, just join a local club and pick up the skills. you'll be flying in no time.
Original post by Stevo_Mc

Original post by Stevo_Mc
Play amateur american football with hopes of one day getting paid to play in europe. Everything else i do (lifting etc) is pretty much geared towards this goal.

Hey what is the best way to improve my 100m time or 40 yard dash. I'm guessing you know since I heard 40 times are important in American Football...
Reply 106
Never noticed this thread before :hmmm:

Well, I swim lots I guess? :dontknow:

Rugby for 1st XV at school, also used to do running before I got too old :moon:

Want to properly try out rowing, as I had a go in my mates shell and was told that I would fit into the 'lightweight' single skulls category. Any experienced rowers want to tell me their training/opinion of their sport? :redface:
Training with the local teams first and second XV tomorrow night due to a hugely overoptimistic coach.

Reply 108

Training with the local teams first and second XV tomorrow night due to a hugely overoptimistic coach.

Good luck! :biggrin:
wrong thread for msg soz
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ocassus
Never noticed this thread before :hmmm:

Well, I swim lots I guess? :dontknow:

Rugby for 1st XV at school, also used to do running before I got too old :moon:

Want to properly try out rowing, as I had a go in my mates shell and was told that I would fit into the 'lightweight' single skulls category. Any experienced rowers want to tell me their training/opinion of their sport? :redface:

Yo. Rowing is the best sport ever, no lie. Its one of the few team based endurance sports and really requires a lot of dedication from each team member which really creates a strong bond between a squad. The erg itself is also one of the most savage training tools. Its also at a nice level between strength and pure endurance so you get quite varied training.

Training really depends on what level you want to take it to. Squad level guys train full time, 3 sessions a day. And it really goes down from there to recreational rowers who just row on weekends. High performance uni guys train 2 times a day on avg (about 3 hours), mid level once a day and at the bottom probably 2-5 session a week. Ive got a training log in the fitness blog section if you want to see what my training is like in the off-season. Mostly a few weights session and a lot of cardio work each week.

Its a very competitive sport even at low levels. You see football teams that train once a week and win matches. In rowing you basically wont win unless you train a lot or look for races where there isn't any competition.

If you're a lightweight you need to be around 75kg or under and to be competitive you probably want to be looking at 5'10 or taller. If you need any info on where you can row and what uni is good for it then give me a shout.
Original post by partoftheweekend
ROWING

Dude if I wanted to cut my 2k time from about 7:20 to sub 7 what sort of training programme should I do? Also any real idea how long that would take?
Dude if I wanted to cut my 2k time from about 7:20 to sub 7 what sort of training programme should I do? Also any real idea how long that would take?

Depends on your physique/sports background! If you hit 7:20 on your first attempt then getting sub 7 should be very easy. If you have trained for a while and are still on 7:20 then it may take quite a bit longer. The pete plan (below) is a good guide to getting reasonably fast on 1 session a day:

http://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/the-pete-plan/

Remember the more you erg the better you get at it. Ive seen people do 6:30's on their first attempt and others do 8+'s so the length of time came vary hugely and is hard to guess!

Try a 6x500m with 1 minute rests. If you can hit 1:45ish average then you should be on for a 7min 2k.
(edited 12 years ago)
Depends on your physique/sports background! If you hit 7:20 on your first attempt then getting sub 7 should be very easy. If you have trained for a while and are still on 7:20 then it may take quite a bit longer. The pete plan (below) is a good guide to getting reasonably fast on 1 session a day:

Remember the more you erg the better you get at it. Ive seen people do 6:30's on their first attempt and others do 8+'s so the length of time came vary hugely and is hard to guess!

Try a 6x500m with 1 minute rests. If you can hit 1:45ish average then you should be on for a 7min 2k.

Cheers brah I'll see how it goes and get back to you
two games, four tries, one dislocated shoulder. Worth it
I cannot wait to finally get back in the gym in a couple of days after a hefty 6-month recovery period. :h:
Reply 116

I was sort of interested in rowing too, but that exercise plan seems a little bit dull. Surely there is more to rowing training than erging?
Since my last update I've played the full 90 in goal for four football matches, played two full badminton matches, been to two rugby trainings and a basketball match.

I think it's fair to say I'm fixed. :h:
Original post by Planar
I was sort of interested in rowing too, but that exercise plan seems a little bit dull. Surely there is more to rowing training than erging?

Although to be fair oxford don't seem to know how to squat properly so maybe not that important

The Cambridge team seem to actually know what they're doing in the gym.

Quick Reply

Latest