The Student Room Group

TSR Horse Owners' Society Thread!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shanej13
Dose anyone know of any horse lone's in st.helens meryside 3-4 days not to expensive

Try merseyhorse.com, there are a lot of adverts for loan around that area!

I have a new arrangement to help with 3 horses, and ride 2 of them :biggrin: They're 15/16 hands-ish, two bay thoroughbreds and a palomino Welsh X Arab. All very cuddly :love:
I have acquired a new horse.

For the last eight months, there has been a beautiful piebald gypsy cob mare in a field about two miles from here, and it's all on its own. It was always in the field, there was no apparent shelter (apart from the trees), and every time I'd pass the field I never saw anyone there.

That all changed about six weeks ago, when I saw a young woman in the field, who I recognise from the local riding stable (it's where Zeus was stabled for a brief period, while we got some new stables built on our land). I spoke to her, and she told me the owners had retired the horse and she had been asked to feed and care for her (adding they don't give her much money to put towards food etc). They don't seem that bothered with her now she can't be ridden. :angry:

I asked if it was OK for me to feed her carrots and stuff, and to go in the field and see her, as it makes me sad to see her lonely. She said it would be fine and I've been doing that the last six weeks. She is a fabulous horse, so friendly, and I have become really attached to her. When I saw the young woman from the stables a second time, she commented how good I was with her, and how she could tell the horse loved seeing me.

Anyhow, I saw the young woman again last week, and she told me she had mentioned me to the owners and was stunned when they said, "does she want her, if so she can have her for NOTHING, take her off our hands." :eek:

I did a bit of sweet-talking to my dad, and because I did so well in my GCSEs, he said yes.

So anyway, I met the owners (with my dad there), and dad was insistent they take some level payment so it's official. So we gave them a few hundred pounds and now she's mine.

I was stunned someone was willing to part with such a beautiful horse for nothing, but because she is retired (due to age), I got the impression they see paying out for land etc as "a waste" and they just wanted rid.

Although she can't do too much now, she still likes a gentle ride, and I could tell from how excited she was to get the saddle on her, it had been a while since she had been ridden. Bless her.

I haven't got any pictures yet, but I hope to take some very soon, and once I do I'll share them with you.

Oh and her name is Cobweb. And did I mention she's beautiful.
Reply 242
Original post by rock.and.rose
I have acquired a new horse.

For the last eight months, there has been a beautiful piebald gypsy cob mare in a field about two miles from here, and it's all on its own. It was always in the field, there was no apparent shelter (apart from the trees), and every time I'd pass the field I never saw anyone there.

That all changed about six weeks ago, when I saw a young woman in the field, who I recognise from the local riding stable (it's where Zeus was stabled for a brief period, while we got some new stables built on our land). I spoke to her, and she told me the owners had retired the horse and she had been asked to feed and care for her (adding they don't give her much money to put towards food etc). They don't seem that bothered with her now she can't be ridden. :angry:

I asked if it was OK for me to feed her carrots and stuff, and to go in the field and see her, as it makes me sad to see her lonely. She said it would be fine and I've been doing that the last six weeks. She is a fabulous horse, so friendly, and I have become really attached to her. When I saw the young woman from the stables a second time, she commented how good I was with her, and how she could tell the horse loved seeing me.

Anyhow, I saw the young woman again last week, and she told me she had mentioned me to the owners and was stunned when they said, "does she want her, if so she can have her for NOTHING, take her off our hands." :eek:

I did a bit of sweet-talking to my dad, and because I did so well in my GCSEs, he said yes.

So anyway, I met the owners (with my dad there), and dad was insistent they take some level payment so it's official. So we gave them a few hundred pounds and now she's mine.

I was stunned someone was willing to part with such a beautiful horse for nothing, but because she is retired (due to age), I got the impression they see paying out for land etc as "a waste" and they just wanted rid.

Although she can't do too much now, she still likes a gentle ride, and I could tell from how excited she was to get the saddle on her, it had been a while since she had been ridden. Bless her.

I haven't got any pictures yet, but I hope to take some very soon, and once I do I'll share them with you.

Oh and her name is Cobweb. And did I mention she's beautiful.

Hi again. Lucky you, she sounds adorable. :smile:
Reply 243
Original post by NothingTraLaLa
:biggrin: PONIES RULE! Any fellow Welshie owners/lovers out there? :biggrin:
I'm a proud owner of a lovely slightly crazy 14.2hh Section D gelding!xx

I have a part bred welsh D (sire is welsh!) piebald mare :smile:
rock and rose, she sounds gorgeous, we must see pics :biggrin::biggrin: when we were on holiday there was the most stunning fell mare in the field opposite, all by herself 24/7 with chestnuts as long as god knows and knottiest and greasiest mane I've seen for a while. She was very overweight however completely stunning, and very, very lonely. As soon as she saw you she would neigh and amble over, she really was lovely and just craved any kind of attention she could get. No sight of her owner or anyone in her field for the two weeks I was there- unfortunately I didn't get to take her back home!
Reply 245
Hey everyone! I have a new horse to ride :smile: he's not mine he's my friends she lost her confidence a while back and asked me to ride and as we bonded so well I now get to ride him a few times a week for free :redface: he's gorgeous an can even do half pass :biggrin: in other news my silly mare had her back rechecked and was very sore a few months off have done her good she is working so well again like she used too! No more problems with canter on the right and she is even learning to jump :smile: so pleased with her :redface:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Here's me and my gorgeous girl :smile:

She's called B, 15hh Warmblood x Welsh Sec C, she's just turned 5 and I've had her since 3.5 years and broke her in last year. She's my life :smile:

251154_10151218451718377_825492741_n.jpg
I lease and work at a show jumping yard...that counts right? :wink:
Reply 248
Iphone isn't letting me add pictures ! :frown: but I'm happy for a thread like this! I have 3 horses I love them all! I own Star a 13hh roan pony who I've outgrown but I keep her (axtually most expensive to keep!) just because I love her even though she can be a little nasty... I have two on loan to me too, Tiny and Connie, 16.1hh and 16.3hh and I xompete them :smile: <3
I used to have a 12hh Palomino Welsh A, who i competed up to 2'9ft in sj. Luckily I'm short haha! and a 14.2hh Connie who spent most of her time with me being on box and field rest, so its sort of gutting to see her new owners having fun out hunting with her. But i'm glad she finally recovered.

I'm at uni now and have started to go and play with some rescue ponies. No where near up to riding yet, but I'm happy to just potter about with them :smile:
I have 2 KWPN and have been riding for about 13 years now. I mainly compete in showjumping but have done a little bit of showing and dressage on previous horses and did XC/jumpcross once or twice.

This is my grey mare, she is coming up for 6 and I've had her since last may. She's a lovely character, very brave and really does have the heart of a lion, never stops trying. I never used to be too keen on mares but she has well and truly convinced me into a mare person. The picture is from when I jumped my first international 1.20 on her, it's the biggest class I've ever jumped in my life and she was fantastic.

This is my Bay gelding, also coming up for 6 and I've only had him since december. He has such a personality and life is never dull around him. Can be a little sharp at times and I'm still getting used to him but he is lovely to ride. Incredibly scopey and careful as a cat.

No idea what i'm going to do with my horses when I go to uni in september :frown: Hoping to do a few more shows over the summer and then go from there.
I've got 3 ponies who I owe everything to, they've kept me sane over the past 5 years :yep:
One of them I only got just over a week ago but he's already fit right in and is now hacking out on the long rides by himself, he's a real star! His only problem is his passport name... Which is Spider Pig :erm:
The picture is of Berty, my new boy!
Has anyone else owned a particularly bargey horse in the stable? Berty can be while tacking him up and just wondered if people knew a way to stop this behaviour?
Thank you!x
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey!!

Other people who like horses and speak horsey people talk xD Anyone message me love to chat horses!!!

are there any other showing riders out there???

I am so lucky to have a beautiful 13.1hh fell stallion, nicknamed possum, he's such a sweetie and i even did my a level revision on him, i wouldn't be half as happy without him bless, this is him!!
S15-14-08-128.jpg He's only very spoilt!!
Original post by indiegel
I have a part bred welsh D (sire is welsh!) piebald mare :smile:

Hey!! I used to only ever have welshies, sec a's, who ddoesnt love a cheeky welsh chap hey!!
Original post by Cali_lewis
Hey!!

Other people who like horses and speak horsey people talk xD Anyone message me love to chat horses!!!

are there any other showing riders out there???

I am so lucky to have a beautiful 13.1hh fell stallion, nicknamed possum, he's such a sweetie and i even did my a level revision on him, i wouldn't be half as happy without him bless, this is him!!
S15-14-08-128.jpg He's only very spoilt!!

Awww hes beautiful :smile:
He's wonderful haha, I'm so lucky to have him! And I'll take any opportunity to show him off 😂😂
He's wonderful haha, I'm so lucky to have him! And I'll take any opportunity to show him off 😂😂

Cant blame you :smile:
Reply 257
image.jpgStarmie, owned her since I was 13 :3

How long have you been riding for? :smile:
Original post by matthew2014
How long have you been riding for? :smile:

My entire life! 19 years wby??

Quick Reply

Latest