The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
mini_munchkin i am havin a fantastic time. our timetable is quite full but the only work we have to do outside of college is readin we've only just been given our first real assingment and we're doin that in groups so its not to bad although we do have a test in dec. it is rather borin at the mo as the rvc spend the first term doin cellular and molecular biology to enable you to be able to cope with the later stuff but it looks as tho it will get better. animal husbandry at hawkshead is fantastic the campus is amazin and after doin all that cellular biology it makes a change to c sum animals! im living in college grove which is owned by the rvc and is rite nxt door v handy.i made friends very easily as every1 was really friendly and made a huge effort and freshers week was fantastic! so basically come to the rvc its great!!!!
Reply 81
interview at Bristol on 23rd
STILL nothing from cambridge
nor liverpool or nottingham-but they wont contact me til December
can anyone tell me what the bristol questionnaire is like, they didnt put it in..can nothing be simple for me lol
woooooohoo i have an interview at Cambridge, Girton on December 8th!!!!!!! :biggrin:
I have to go there on the 7th and I'll stay there the night...i'm so excited!
I have the names of the people interviewing me, so I'll look them up and see what they're interested in :-)

am excited, but also scared :eek: :biggrin:
Reply 83
Hel' in Heaven
woooooohoo i have an interview at Cambridge, Girton on December 8th!!!!!!! :biggrin:
I have to go there on the 7th and I'll stay there the night...i'm so excited!
I have the names of the people interviewing me, so I'll look them up and see what they're interested in :-)

am excited, but also scared :eek: :biggrin:

Congrats!! Good luck with the interviews!
Reply 84
gt@vetschool
Too right. anything but.

An odd statistic is that although the number of people applying to vet school has increased by 20% in recent years,

Applications were down 20% for VetMed last year
Hawk
Applications were down 20% for VetMed last year

what i said was "recent years" not last year. my proof for this is one of the october 2005 issues of the vet record which talked about equal opportunities etc.

i imagine your statement can be proven also...
Reply 86
gt@vetschool
what i said was "recent years" not last year. my proof for this is one of the october 2005 issues of the vet record which talked about equal opportunities etc.

i imagine your statement can be proven also...

Sorry my figures weren't correct. They were down 5.85% last year but interestingly Male applicant numbers were up while female were down.
You can read this here - http://www.ucas.ac.uk/new/press/news111104.html

Ohh if you read the VetRecord did you see the letter in this weeks about the changes to Vet Surgeons act and how they are panning (or hoping) to change it so that Vets will be allowed to use the title Dr.?
What do all you other vet students make of this?
I personally think its a good idea. We are medically qualified, like a medical and dental counterparts, and I also always wodnered how I should address my vet. Do you call them by their first name? or Mr...?
It'll make it far easier to address them as Dr. as most other countries throughout the world do.
Just my thoughts
Reply 87
i think its a gd idea for vets to be called doctors as we are just as medically qualified and as Hawk says will make it easier for people to address us.
Reply 88
hull chic
i think its a gd idea for vets to be called doctors as we are just as medically qualified and as Hawk says will make it easier for people to address us.

I've always thought that -- and it would be pretty cool being called a doctor!!
Reply 89
Woooooooo I got me a Bristol interview? Whats this about a questionaire I didnt get one. The 23rd by the way is the first day of interviews, so we are lucky! Umm guys.. anyone going down to Bristol by themselves? I think I might... if anyone wants to befriend me....:smile: Id like that! My interview is at 5.20 i think! Its a late one so will have to really wow them as they will be tired by then.. what time is everyone elses?
Reply 90
-sophie-
Woooooooo I got me a Bristol interview? Whats this about a questionaire I didnt get one. The 23rd by the way is the first day of interviews, so we are lucky! Umm guys.. anyone going down to Bristol by themselves? I think I might... if anyone wants to befriend me....:smile: Id like that! My interview is at 5.20 i think! Its a late one so will have to really wow them as they will be tired by then.. what time is everyone elses?

congratulations your personal statement must have been good for you to get three interviews so well done you. :biggrin:
Hawk
Sorry my figures weren't correct. They were down 5.85% last year but interestingly Male applicant numbers were up while female were down.

and also interesting was the percentage increase in overseas male applicants. up 20% thats quite a signifiant rise.

i'm not sure about the Dr issue. but seeing as we can treat every species except one we pretty much deserve the recognition i reckon.
Reply 92
gt@vetschool
and also interesting was the percentage increase in overseas male applicants. up 20% thats quite a signifiant rise.

i'm not sure about the Dr issue. but seeing as we can treat every species except one we pretty much deserve the recognition i reckon.

Guess I'm one of them :rolleyes: . Here in the Netherlands it's 75%(F) - 25%(M) for veterinary medicine as well.
I don't understand the increase of Male applicants from overseas really...
Reply 93
Hey sophie, I have an interview at bristol on the 23rd too! mines at 4.55 so maybe i'll see you there! if you see me i'll be the tall one with red hair! lol gud luck!
Reply 94

Actually I think vets are allowed to treat humans as well but medics can not treat animals
ancient1
Actually I think vets are allowed to treat humans as well but medics can not treat animals

I heard a doctor say that a while ago to a vet, and wondered if it was true!
Reply 96
yep its true :wink:
your.angel
I heard a doctor say that a while ago to a vet, and wondered if it was true!

What on earth? how many times have you ever seen a vet treat a person. in my experience its pretty much zero, and will probably remain so.

Also, its funny how on the practice price lists, it doesn't say anywhere the prices of human consultations, or acupuncture, or radiographs.

Nor has the vet record ever had an article on how to treat human illness. Funny that.

and what about the veterinary surgeons oath? i recall it saying "the animals committed to my care", not "animals and their owners".

if i'm wrong, so be it, but it does seem remarkably strange...
Reply 98
In my opinion humans are just part of the animal world. So I think vets are capable to tread most humans but are less specialized than the 'human doctors' in humans.
Reply 99
Well us humans are animals and the vet i work for has tried a large selection of medical treatments available he also stitched his own right hand up and hes right handed lol. Anothr vet i knw is knwn to give out medicine to people lol altho he prob shldnt do that

Latest

Trending

Trending