The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Amusingly, 81% of the people who have replied expect to earn more than the average salary of 35 year old graduates ..... methinks that there will be a little disappointment out there!!
(unless of course someone has replied in terms of projected COL increases etc.....)
Original post by Ineedaplace

IMO anyone aiming for anything less then 100,000 needs higher ambitions.
Earning 55,200 now at the age of 35 would be not all that great...... Starting salary at Nomura which is an investment bank for graduates is 57,000 euros. So roughly equivalent....

Errr, you do realise that we can't all be investment bankers? And you're slighlty dillusional if you think that many jobs pay £100,000 +
Reply 42
Enough to keep me going but what matters most to me is that I have to love the job.
Original post by supernova92
Errr, you do realise that we can't all be investment bankers? And you're slighlty dillusional if you think that many jobs pay £100,000 +

Original post by H.C. Chinaski
Amusingly, 81% of the people who have replied expect to earn more than the average salary of 35 year old graduates ..... methinks that there will be a little disappointment out there!!
(unless of course someone has replied in terms of projected COL increases etc.....)

lol at the people expecting to be earning anything over 250.000.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Iorek
Plenty of day dreamers on here :biggrin:

lol totally, they are making me chuckle
Reply 45
I'll be on £40,000 by the time I'm 23 :smile:
Hoping to go into Investment Banking, £100,000 - £150,000, a conservative estimate by 35?

Hey, I'm not boasting or anything, just asking...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reminisce that is a VERY conservative estimate. But who says investment banking is the best paid job. Things can change ALOT in 15 years.... you will 80% use investment banking as graduate job, then go to fund or PE.....

even lowly respected IB is paying 32k to graduates as of now for front office.

Unless if your motivation isn't money, you will all be on almost inflation adjusted 55,000. tax adjusted, 38,760. Assuming you have a smooth career in FMCG or IT or something.

maybe 5% of tsr will earn 250,000 by the time they are 35.....
Rolling over here at the number of people thinking they're gonna be investment banking partners :rofl: hahaha

I'm expecting around 60k and a little more as an academic, which is not exactly much, but it's the workload and tenure position that is attractive, allowing time for things on the side. Remember this is salary were talking about, most of the professors I know have businesses on the side that rake in hundreds of thousands. Many take sabbaticals and set up companies based on their research.
Original post by Ineedaplace
Starting salary at Nomura which is an investment bank for graduates is 57,000 euros. So roughly equivalent....

...and how many people actually successfully get such jobs? The problem with a lot of people here is that they think they're so superior to everyone else that they can just waltz into any career they want. It would be interesting to see where everyone actually ends up in 15 years

Original post by Zweihander
Life is a s*** sandwich, More bread you got, less s*** you eat.

Assuming that the total volume of the sandwich remains constant of course. Probably more realistically, if you want a bigger sandwich, you have to eat more **** to get more bread
Reply 50
Original post by Diabolic99
9000? That's pretty low, don't you think? You probably mean 90k though right? Personally, I hope to get around 60k a year

60k is over 9k. Just so you know.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
If you enter into the career you aspire to, what sort of salary do you expect to earn by the time you're 35 years old?

I'm with the majority. 50k-75k.

One kind question: Those who say 500k+ or even those who say 250k+ are they really being serious?
Original post by Theconomist
I want a caffee mocha with caramel.Make sure it's in my desk before 7:30.

Wow, it's an internet forum, stop masturbating over fantasies that you will be an investment banker over TSR. He doesn't need to act professional on an internet forum, last time I checked TSR wasn't a corporate whorehouse.

ffs
average salary in 15 years time for a graduate is 33k so unless if you DONT want to be earning more with more experience at 35 then a average 21 year old your estimates should be higher.

250k should be possible. If you make VP at a good investment bank etc. Partners at even accounting firms draw 700,000 and their is a reason why banking attracts top skilled people not accounting.

I have the ambition to make 500000 a year, but realistically 100000-250000 maybe more will be the outcome. But not alot of people get rich from JUST salary need to do other side lines too.
Original post by Theconomist
You will be in for a major shock when signing your job contract.

Definately. My cousins just signed with Credit Suisse, not what he was expecting, I love these arrogant ***** who have this naive perception of IB being the be all and end all of hard work and easy money. Not the case.
Original post by Zweihander
You're right, I should be more professional.....

.....he's wearing a suit now.

Good way to annoy desperate wananbe investment bankers :tongue:
Reply 56
Between 40k and 50k maybe.

I'm not that bothered, as long as I'll be traveling fairly often.
Reply 57
I chose £500k+, investment banker
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
Definately. My cousins just signed with Credit Suisse, not what he was expecting, I love these arrogant ***** who have this naive perception of IB being the be all and end all of hard work and easy money. Not the case.

Don't get me wrong I know there is money in investment banking.If you are making the firm 30-40 million a year there is no reason they won't give you a nice cut but these people think that with an economic degree from random uni X that they'll get in JP morgan and get 100k starting salary.
Reply 59
Hopefully between 75-100k, realistically 50-75.

Latest

Trending

Trending