The Student Room Group

A level exams taken, by gender

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smilingsam

You would think that due to the amount of sucking that some of them do :rolleyes:

:rofl:
Yep I find these stats close to what I have observed.I met about 20 girls taking physics for their A-levels.It got even worse in A2 when there were only two girls in each group.
For some reason physics is dominated by XY.
Reply 42
Original post by CharleyChester
You take the same subjects as I do :biggrin: And when i tell people i'm applying for Maths they all go O_o.

I personally think the gender divide within subjects is down to the way a school operates. For instance at my school, they actively encourage people to apply for Medicine at University meaning we have large numbers of girls (I'm at an all girls school) taking Biology/Chemistry/Maths, as this is what the universities want them to take, and relatively few (for my year group it's only 6 people) taking Physics.

However at the mixed school across the road, there are more people taking Physics than there are Biology and Chemistry and the girls out number the boys...

Oh my, that's awesome! You're probably the first person I know who has the same subject combination :biggrin:

Well, yes I do think it depends on how the school runs it. My school's very good at encouraging weaker students to take weak subjects. And we do have a lot of asian people here (including myself) who are quite stereotypical genderwise when it coems to subject choices.

But I come from a family of female scientists. My mother did her masters in Physics, , my aunt is a Research Physicist, and many of my other family members did science subjects like Biology and such, so I suppose that may also have something to do with why I was quite bold with my choices :smile:

Original post by ibysaiyan
Yep I find these stats close to what I have observed.I met about 20 girls taking physics for their A-levels.It got even worse in A2 when there were only two girls in each group.
For some reason physics is dominated by XY.

Dont worry. I'm going to have lots of children and make sure all the girls do physics and that all the boys do girly subjects just to try and break stereotypes :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by tripleeagle
Geography is 100% amazing people colouring in:cool:

:ahee::ahee::ahee:

I jest
So basically guys have all the intellectual ones, and the girls the 'abstract' ones. Makes sense.
I wonder what constitutes science subjects
Original post by kpatb
Oh my, that's awesome! You're probably the first person I know who has the same subject combination :biggrin:

Well, yes I do think it depends on how the school runs it. My school's very good at encouraging weaker students to take weak subjects. And we do have a lot of asian people here (including myself) who are quite stereotypical genderwise when it coems to subject choices.

But I come from a family of female scientists. My mother did her masters in Physics, , my aunt is a Research Physicist, and many of my other family members did science subjects like Biology and such, so I suppose that may also have something to do with why I was quite bold with my choices :smile:

Dont worry. I'm going to have lots of children and make sure all the girls do physics and that all the boys do girly subjects just to try and break stereotypes :biggrin:

Hahah :tongue:
Original post by dnumberwang
:ahee::ahee::ahee:

You're just jealous because you can't stick within the lines :tongue:
Reply 48
They say that girls outperform boys in A levels in terms of their grade average. Nice to see the statistic that explains why this is the case.
The guys tend to take the harder subjects.
An A level in Media, Photography and ESPECIALLY Art are much easier than an A level in something like Chemistry and Physics. Don't start this 'Oh it depends on what you're good at, mathematical stuff or more arty stuff'.
Original post by agolati
They say that girls outperform boys in A levels in terms of their grade average. Nice to see the statistic that explains why this is the case.
The guys tend to take the harder subjects.
An A level in Media, Photography and ESPECIALLY Art are much easier than an A level in something like Chemistry and Physics. Don't start this 'Oh it depends on what you're good at, mathematical stuff or more arty stuff'.

Have you seen the amount of work they do for A level art?! Even if I was remotely good at arty things I'd be terrified to take it for A level!
Reply 50
Original post by Aleeece123
Have you seen the amount of work they do for A level art?! Even if I was remotely good at arty things I'd be terrified to take it for A level!

they do an assload of work, but that doesn't mean it is difficult at all. I didn't do A-Level art but I did do it at GCSE. I spent alot of time on the coursework, but it isnt difficult really.
and my friends who did product design A-Level (another arty A-Level where there is a crapload of coursework) said it is not hard, just time consuming
Reply 51
Original post by dnumberwang
Eugh Computing! What an awful subject >.<, yes I do it at AS

What exam board?
Reply 52
Original post by Psyk
If it's the former, it could just be because they are picking subjects that are easier, or at least more suited to girls for some reason.

How do you decide whether a subject is easy or hard? Is that not a matter of opinion?

How can one gender be suited to something?
Reply 53
Lol is that maths table correct? I have no girls in my maths class. Hmmmm.
Reply 54
Anyone else noticed that the "cool girls" crowd always take sociology and media studies?
Original post by cttp_ngaf
This is from some newspaper:

Look at the subjects along the bottom and see if you notice a trend in their nature, content and demands.

1) Why do you think boys and girls choose certain subjects over others? Genetic predilection? Invisible bias in the education system? An awareness by most girls that they will perform poorly in certain subjects?

2) Is this a "problem"? Do you think we need 50% of each gender in every subject? If so, why? And how would you achieve this - incentives and handicaps to get people in/out of the subjects? Systematic influence of children to ensure identical interests across the genders once in their teens?

Where is this graph from?

Notice how "Science subjects" are marked as the second most highly male dominated! Shocker!

Look closer, and realise that Biology and Chemistry both have their own indicators, and are both fairly close to the 50 - 50 mark. Biology is even swinging towards more girls.

Pathetic graph is pathetic.
Reply 56
Original post by alexmagpie
Where is this graph from?

I made it with data from a Guardian article:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/aug/19/a-levels-results-analysis-subject-school

Original post by alexmagpie
Notice how "Science subjects" are marked as the second most highly male dominated! Shocker!

Not very shocking, really. I don't know what "Science Subjects" means, though - if it's a compilation of bio, chem, physics... or if it's "other science subjects" in some sense.

Look closer, and realise that Biology and Chemistry both have their own indicators, and are both fairly close to the 50 - 50 mark. Biology is even swinging towards more girls.

Correct. Biology is 43.6:56.4, m:f

Pathetic graph is pathetic.

any reason?
I made it with data from a Guardian article:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/aug/19/a-levels-results-analysis-subject-school

Not very shocking, really. I don't know what "Science Subjects" means, though - if it's a compilation of bio, chem, physics... or if it's "other science subjects" in some sense.

Correct. Biology is 43.6:56.4, m:f

any reason?

Thanks for the source :smile:

It's a pathetic graph because they've only included this arbitrary 'science subjects' category to back up their own conclusions that science is dominated by boys.

Physics is, absolutely, dominated by boys. And coincidentally, looking at the original data as well, 'science subjects' and 'physics' have the exact same gender ratio - 78.5:21.5 (m:f)

I would be very interested to hear what they categorise as a science subject, because using their data, if we look at what most people assume are science subjects (bio, chem and physics), the ratio is actually 58.1:41.9 (m:f)

This would lead most people to draw pretty different conclusions, if you ask me!

EDIT: I only just realised that the graph was made by you, and so I apologise - the graph is not pathetic, but in my opinion, the data tables it is based on are.
:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 58
At college I was the only girl out of 15 people in my Maths/F. Maths group and in physics there were 2 of us out of 17

I'm not finding that at uni though - at my college there are 10 mathematicians, and it's half and half.
This is from some newspaper:

Look at the subjects along the bottom and see if you notice a trend in their nature, content and demands.

1) Why do you think boys and girls choose certain subjects over others? Genetic predilection? Invisible bias in the education system? An awareness by most girls that they will perform poorly in certain subjects?

2) Is this a "problem"? Do you think we need 50% of each gender in every subject? If so, why? And how would you achieve this - incentives and handicaps to get people in/out of the subjects? Systematic influence of children to ensure identical interests across the genders once in their teens?

I think this is actually really interesting.

Firstly, there might be an awareness by most boys that they'll perform poorly in certain subjects :tongue:

But really, if you think about it, the old school system expected boys to do the practical stuff so really girls are still catching up in that aspect.

Also, I'm always hearing that boys are active learners and so generally they might struggle in essay-based subjects...

But really it's all subjective isn't it

I like how girls are outperforming boys at school in general though and there's a big hooha about it :biggrin: whereas if it was the other way round no one would have a problem..

Quick Reply

Latest