The Student Room Group

Teaching something interesting to a group for 5 mins

I have an interview at Oxford Brookes for primary education on the 1st of february, and i have to teach something interesting to a group of other applicants for 5 minutes.
Has anyone got any good ideas?
It has to be something easy to teach, and they said it can't be too 'speech-like'. So i have to be able to involve everyone and ask questions etc.
I don't do any sport, so I won't be good at teaching anything sport related.
I do French and German for a-level, so was thinking something related to that but i'm worried it's a bit boring and predictable.
I also come from South Africa, but i can't think of anything i can teach about that...
Take enough materials, glasses, ice etc. and teach the group to make a cocktail!
Reply 2
what are you interests? are you particularly good at anything?
teaching some sign language may be a good idea :smile: just teach yourself the basics first and print of a sheet for each applicant, and make them sign a message to each other?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
teach what you're good at. otherwise you wouldn't be a good teacher :P
Do you have anything you can take in from South Africa? Kind of show and tell, pass things round, etc.
Take some paint put it on a canvas and show them how to watch it dry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJq536PhlnE&feature=sub

Just realised it's only 39 seconds. Hmm may need some more material.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by dizzidancer
what are you interests? are you particularly good at anything?
teaching some sign language may be a good idea :smile: just teach yourself the basics first and print of a sheet for each applicant, and make them sign a message to each other?

That's a good idea! Thank you.
I was also thinking maybe reading body language but i thought that might be tricky to involve everyone properly.
Reply 8
yey :smile:
and your body language one isn't difficult to involve everyone, tell them the sort of signs that they are looking for and what they mean, chose one person and describe what their body language says about them, then you could chose someone else and get everyone to make a point about what their body language says about them, thus involving everyone and making them think :biggrin:
Original post by mkmkmk
I have an interview at Oxford Brookes for primary education on the 1st of february, and i have to teach something interesting to a group of other applicants for 5 minutes.
Has anyone got any good ideas?
It has to be something easy to teach, and they said it can't be too 'speech-like'. So i have to be able to involve everyone and ask questions etc.
I don't do any sport, so I won't be good at teaching anything sport related.
I do French and German for a-level, so was thinking something related to that but i'm worried it's a bit boring and predictable.
I also come from South Africa, but i can't think of anything i can teach about that...

I would choose something simple as it's primary education, such as geography and they will be young children-therefore their understanding will not be as high as an adults. I would do something about where you're from personally. You could blow up a map and some post it note type things and give each candidate a turn e.g. you ask them a question such as what is the population of Africa? then you have three answers and they have to select an answer and stick it on the map or something like that. You could also cover food in S.Africa, religion etc....the sort of stuff that teaching at primary level will involve. If not, you could do the same thing but with a map of the world e.g. print some pictures of snails and ask which country they are the delicacy for (but with harder examples!). Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by dizzidancer
yey :smile:
and your body language one isn't difficult to involve everyone, tell them the sort of signs that they are looking for and what they mean, chose one person and describe what their body language says about them, then you could chose someone else and get everyone to make a point about what their body language says about them, thus involving everyone and making them think :biggrin:

Yeah! The letter said the group will be around 5 people, so it shouldn't be too hard to involve everyone.. I could maybe come up with a small game hahaha. i'll do a bit of research :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by KellyWellyWoo537
I would choose something simple as it's primary education, such as geography and they will be young children-therefore their understanding will not be as high as an adults. I would do something about where you're from personally. You could blow up a map and some post it note type things and give each candidate a turn e.g. you ask them a question such as what is the population of Africa? then you have three answers and they have to select an answer and stick it on the map or something like that. You could also cover food in S.Africa, religion etc....the sort of stuff that teaching at primary level will involve. If not, you could do the same thing but with a map of the world e.g. print some pictures of snails and ask which country they are the delicacy for (but with harder examples!). Hope this helps :smile:

That is a good idea... And i could maybe teach them a bit of Afrikaans, like the basics. And then at the end a mini quiz! haha
Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 12
I heard someone took a guitar and showed people the E chord to one of these - wasn't brooks though.
Original post by mkmkmk
That is a good idea... And i could maybe teach them a bit of Afrikaans, like the basics. And then at the end a mini quiz! haha
Thank you :biggrin:

There you go! I would definately do something along those lines- you want to show that you understand primary level education and some of the concepts it will involve-such as locating a country and understanding a bit about it, such as customs (e.g. burping to show appreciation fo dinner!), religion etc. (I worked at a primary school and this is the sort of thing they covered). Good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending