Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My New Laptop Acer Aspire 5742 shuts down by itself

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it's to do with the fan (it happens when cpu being used is high.) Apparently this has happened to quite a few Acers before. Does anyone have any solutions (bearing in mind im a noob)
    In advance thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Computers have thermometers built in to many components, including the CPU and GPU. If these components reach a certain temperature (often 80-90 degrees for laptops), the Motherboard will automatically power off the computer to prevent any damage to the components. As you said that it happens when the CPU is under strain, it seems this is probably what's happening.

If it's a new laptop and has always done this, just return it. It's probably a manufacturing fault, and could be due to the heatsink being poorly seated, or inadequate thermal paste. If there are no fans running on your laptop, this would also contribute.

If it's an old laptop, it could be due to dust buildup, reducing airflow. You can look in the vents and try to blow out some dust (protect your eyes).

You can monitor the temperature and fan speeds of your computer using Speedfan, which is free to download here. There is a link to the download where it says "The latest version is...".

Like I said, it's almost certainly overheating, and if it's new you should just return it to your retailer and get a replacement. I know that when you get a new laptop the last thing you want is to return it, but seriously - it's not worth the effort of trying to fix it yourself, and it's most certainly not worth the effort of putting up with it for the long term.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 4, 2011
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.