The Student Room Group

TSR Iraqi Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A_master
:ahee:

****ing hilarious :rofl:

Hahaha... this is Baghdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. :biggrin:

The above reminds me of myself...during the horrific torture known as Arabic School. :cool:
Original post by Tzarchasm
Pacha haters... Mhmm, tongue.

How many here are Iraqi-born?

Born in Baghdad.
Original post by A_master
:ahee:

****ing hilarious :rofl:

Ive watched that about 4 times, I'm still laughing hard at it.

The Christmas one is hilarious too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWbeMCdXhIo
Reply 43
born in stoke-on-trent:emo:

Never been to Iraq, i was going to go last summer with my brother and friend, go Karbala and Najaf, then chill at my grandma's house in Hilla, but our parents wouldn't let us due to the elections. Hopefully i can go soon.
Reply 44
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Ive watched that about 4 times, I'm still laughing hard at it.

The Christmas one is hilarious too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWbeMCdXhIo

Hahahaha, aye the christmas one is epic! Quite a poignant message at the end of it too :smile:
The awkward looks and stares I get whenever I hand over any form of ID with 'BAGHDAD' plastered across it is so worth it. (Or is it...?)

Original post by maljebo
born in stoke-on-trent:emo:

You have my deepest sympathies. Seriously, Stoke-on-Trent is the most depressing place I have ever been to.
(edited 13 years ago)
Karbala owns my heart and soul... :love:
I read the OP and thought: :coma: Dolma.... :coma:
British Iraqis

British Iraqis (Arabic: ???????? ??????????) are people of Iraqi ancestry who were born or were raised in the United Kingdom. The current estimate is around 250,000, one of the biggest communities in Iraqi diaspora. Over 60 per cent of the community are situated in the Greater London, others based in Britainโ€™s major cities such as Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Cardiff and Glasgow.

However, according to estimations by the Iraqi Embassy, the Iraqi population is around 350,000 โ€“ 450,000, although no census has ever been carried out focusing only on the Iraqi population and estimates given by the community leaders were very rough. London has a largest Iraqi community with estimations between 125,000 and 150,000 with Birmingham and Manchester following as second and third biggest cities with an Iraqi population.

History

Iraqis have been emigrating to Britain since the 1930s. Due to the constant turmoil in Iraqi history, many have fled and since the 1970s, thousands have sought asylum in Europe and elsewhere. For around a decade, Iraqis were one of the main nationalities among asylum seekers in Europe.

Iraq was itself a part of the British Empire at one point, and Iraqi emigration to Britain had always existed; however a proportion of Iraqis settled after attending British higher educational institutes, which are highly regarded in Iraq, and thus favourable for a graduate. However, smaller numbers emigrated, due to political reasons, before the regime of Saddam Hussein came to power, and after from 1979, the latter comprising the majority of political exiles. After the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in 1990, Iraqis residing once peacefully in Kuwait were displaced, and some found their way to the United Kingdom. The 2003 Invasion of Iraq has sparked trace emigration to the United Kingdom; other Middle-Eastern countries, such as Jordan and Egypt have received the highest volume of immigrants, which are decreasing (both in terms of emigration and exodus back to Iraq) because of the improving security situation.

Demographics

With the Iraqi population scattered across the United Kingdom, a survey reports specific regions with a high number of Iraqis:

London (125,000) :biggrin:
Birmingham (35,000)
Manchester (18,000)
Cardiff (9,000)
Scotland (8,000)
Glasgow (5,000)
Derby (2,000)
Plymouth (2,000)

Community life

The growing Iraqi community in London has made enormous contributions to British society, for example, there are more than 6,000 medical doctors and consultants in the NHS. Other community members include school teachers and university lecturers.

It is safe to say that despite the British Iraqi 'community' being only a couple of generations old, there has been excellent integration into, and acceptance by, society on their part. Thus there has never existed any tension with any other group, ethnic or not, and so it is harder to ascertain a person of Iraqi origin because they have blended in to mainstream society. They do associate with, and are proud of, their roots, but live in harmony with neighbours and seek the 'best of both worlds'. In Britain some Iraqis have acquired British citizenship, whereas most others were born in the country.
Original post by Tzarchasm
Pacha haters... Mhmm, tongue.

How many here are Iraqi-born?

how can you like tongue???

I was born there....God I miss the heat
Original post by Sushidelight
British Iraqis

British Iraqis (Arabic: ???????? ??????????) are people of Iraqi ancestry who were born or were raised in the United Kingdom. The current estimate is around 250,000, one of the biggest communities in Iraqi diaspora. Over 60 per cent of the community are situated in the Greater London, others based in Britainโ€™s major cities such as Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Cardiff and Glasgow.

However, according to estimations by the Iraqi Embassy, the Iraqi population is around 350,000 โ€“ 450,000, although no census has ever been carried out focusing only on the Iraqi population and estimates given by the community leaders were very rough. London has a largest Iraqi community with estimations between 125,000 and 150,000 with Birmingham and Manchester following as second and third biggest cities with an Iraqi population.

History

Iraqis have been emigrating to Britain since the 1930s. Due to the constant turmoil in Iraqi history, many have fled and since the 1970s, thousands have sought asylum in Europe and elsewhere. For around a decade, Iraqis were one of the main nationalities among asylum seekers in Europe.

Iraq was itself a part of the British Empire at one point, and Iraqi emigration to Britain had always existed; however a proportion of Iraqis settled after attending British higher educational institutes, which are highly regarded in Iraq, and thus favourable for a graduate. However, smaller numbers emigrated, due to political reasons, before the regime of Saddam Hussein came to power, and after from 1979, the latter comprising the majority of political exiles. After the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in 1990, Iraqis residing once peacefully in Kuwait were displaced, and some found their way to the United Kingdom. The 2003 Invasion of Iraq has sparked trace emigration to the United Kingdom; other Middle-Eastern countries, such as Jordan and Egypt have received the highest volume of immigrants, which are decreasing (both in terms of emigration and exodus back to Iraq) because of the improving security situation.

Demographics

With the Iraqi population scattered across the United Kingdom, a survey reports specific regions with a high number of Iraqis:

London (125,000) :biggrin:
Birmingham (35,000)
Manchester (18,000)
Cardiff (9,000)
Scotland (8,000)
Glasgow (5,000)
Derby (2,000)
Plymouth (2,000)

Community life

The growing Iraqi community in London has made enormous contributions to British society, for example, there are more than 6,000 medical doctors and consultants in the NHS. Other community members include school teachers and university lecturers.

It is safe to say that despite the British Iraqi 'community' being only a couple of generations old, there has been excellent integration into, and acceptance by, society on their part. Thus there has never existed any tension with any other group, ethnic or not, and so it is harder to ascertain a person of Iraqi origin because they have blended in to mainstream society. They do associate with, and are proud of, their roots, but live in harmony with neighbours and seek the 'best of both worlds'. In Britain some Iraqis have acquired British citizenship, whereas most others were born in the country.

This just further proves our awesomeness....
Reply 51
I want paaacha! :smile:
Reply 52
I was also born in Iraq though can't say I remember much of it, left when I was supposedly 9 months old. :moon:
Reply 53
What part of Iraq are y'all from?

I'm from Al-Hilla:cool:
Reply 54
Did anyone see the Top Gear Middle East special? They started off in Iraq and there was some beautiful country and it looked like they had a great time. :smile:
`
Reply 55
Hello
Thanks for your sharing i wanna say this is so good for student
interesting ,,,
Original post by win2kpro
I was also born in Iraq though can't say I remember much of it, left when I was supposedly 9 months old. :moon:

supposedly??

are one of those kids who has 2 birthdays...

one official one that goes on passports etc.

and the actual one
Reply 57
Real Iraqis live in Iraq son
Reply 58
Original post by infernalcradle
supposedly??

and the actual one

No. :rofl:

But I have like no memory from before the age of 3/4 so it's just what I have been told.
Original post by infernalcradle
supposedly??

and the actual one

Haha, my dad has that! My grandparents friends registered his birth and decided the 5/5 sounded better than his real birthday. :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest