The Student Room Group

TSR Iraqi Society

Scroll to see replies

I...can't....stop....listening...to....this....

Music & theatre classes back to life in Iraq

raq’s new education minister has re-opened music and theater classes in art institutes in the country, thwarting his predecessor’s ban on the classes.
Mohammed Tamim who was inaugurated as Iraq’s new education minister late December 2010, told Alarabiya that prior the closure of the music and theatre classes, the decision was studied by his predecessor, Khudhair al-Khuza’i.
But now as Iraq’s new education minister, Tamim said that he became the decision-maker.
I rejected the closure of the music and theatre classes and I ordered that they should continue,” he said.

The ex-education minister did not disclose the reason of the ban, but most of the students and the teachers in Iraq's art institutes speculated religion as the reason.
One of the teaching staff in Baghdad’s Fine Art Institute told Al Arabiya that during one of his previous media interviews he criticized the ban imposed on music and theatre classes.
He said that he was interrogated by the police afterward, but now due to the new announcement of re-opening the classes the “probe” against him was overturned.
Al-Khuza’i has also called for the removal of statues found at the entrance of Baghdad’s Fine Art Institute for its questionable permissibility in Islam.
Iraqis who were against the ban agreed that music, theatre and statues do not violate religion and that the ban is against freedom of expression.
Tamim belongs to the secular al-Iraqiya list led by Iyad Allawi and has worked as Karkuk’s university’s dean in 2003 and 2004. Later he became a member of the House of Representatives for two consecutive cycles.

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2011/01/04/132190.html
Original post by win2kpro
I was also born in Iraq though can't say I remember much of it, left when I was supposedly 9 months old. :moon:

You beat me... by one whole month. :biggrin:

Original post by >Anna<
Haha, my dad has that! My grandparents friends registered his birth and decided the 5/5 sounded better than his real birthday. :rofl:

Ooh, so does my dad! I didn't realise this was an Iraqi thing...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Retrospect
Ooh, so does my dad! I didn't realise this was an Iraqi thing...

Me neither, I thought my dad was just 'special' :p:

:five:
Reply 64
The birthday thing has something to do with when someone is allowed to start school, so for example anyone born in lets say the year 1960 goes to xx year (schoolwise), though someone born on the 31st of December 1959 will have to go to x1x-1 year (schoolwise) which would mean they are set back a whole year, so they would change their birthdays. - Or something to that effect, I'm probably wrong in the length of the dates or so, it could be that it is from july to july or something. Because I know that for some reason quite a few iraqi's have a birthdate of 1st of July or 1st of January. :holmes:
The most beautiful male I have EVER seen is Iraqi.

Just thought I'd contribute ... :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by ithoughtofthis

Why thank you. :fan:

Share the wealth...? :biggrin:

Without photographic proof this claim means nothing. :ninja:
Reply 69
I'd rather there be no pictures of myself on the internet, thanks. :camp:
Original post by >Anna<
Share the wealth...? :biggrin:

Wish I had a picture to share! He is honestly the most beautiful male ever.
I have NEVER seen anyone so beautiful, not even on TV (Forget Chace crawford/Ian Somerhalder/Brad Pitt/Tom Cruise- FORGET THEM ALL!). Seriously its not fair on humanity, how could someone be so beautiful? Iraq has done very well for itself. I still dont get how one person could be so perfect, body/FACE/personality-wise. /Rant over (Although I could go on for MUCH longer).

Why thank you. :fan:

Pics:colone:
I'd rather there be no pictures of myself on the internet, thanks. :camp:

Oh go on... :flutter:
Without photographic proof this claim means nothing. :ninja:

Sadly I have no picture. Besides I dont know if a photograph would do him justice- even if he looks gorgeous in it, it will never equal how beautiful he is in real life!

I could, however, write you a whole essay about him. Very easily. After I go and cry a little over his extreme beauty.
Wish I had a picture to share! He is honestly the most beautiful male ever.
I have NEVER seen anyone so beautiful, not even on TV (Forget Chace crawford/Ian Somerhalder/Brad Pitt/Tom Cruise- FORGET THEM ALL!). Seriously its not fair on humanity, how could someone be so beautiful? Iraq has done very well for itself. I still dont get how one person could be so perfect, body/FACE/personality-wise. /Rant over (Although I could go on for MUCH longer).

Where did you find this fine specimen? :colone:
Original post by >Anna<
Where did you find this fine specimen? :colone:

That is a huge understatement :redface:

I see him everyday, 5 days a week, is all I can say. The BEST 5 days each week of my life. Especially during one of those days where we're in the same room for an hour *faints*. Words fail me.....!!!
Sadly I have no picture. Besides I dont know if a photograph would do him justice- even if he looks gorgeous in it, it will never equal how beautiful he is in real life!

I could, however, write you a whole essay about him. Very easily. After I go and cry a little over his extreme beauty.

To be honest, I know one Iraqi guy who I would describe as really quite attractive, but he's nowhere near the best looking guy I've seen. He has the most unbearable personality that makes all else irrelevant, though. :biggrin:

But yeah, you've made me quite curious now... :smug:
That is a huge understatement :redface:

I see him everyday, 5 days a week, is all I can say. The BEST 5 days each week of my life. Especially during one of those days where we're in the same room for an hour *faints*. Words fail me.....!!!

Take a sneaky pic :p:

Seriously, talk to him! Maybe he'd like you :wink:
To anyone who has lived in Iraq, or who has family who've lived in Iraq: would you/they rather Iraq as it is now or pre-2003?
(edited 13 years ago)
To be honest, I know one Iraqi guy who I would describe as really quite attractive, but he's nowhere near the best looking guy I've seen. He has the most unbearable personality that makes all else irrelevant, though. :biggrin:

But yeah, you've made me quite curious now... :smug:

Nooo this one is definitely THE most beautiful human on EARTH. I swear. And its not just me who thinks that, its EVERYONE who Ive ever heard speak about him. But I definitely admire his beauty most. They all just say he should be a model. I say he should just be mine :colonhash::h:

Original post by >Anna<
Take a sneaky pic :p:

Seriously, talk to him! Maybe he'd like you :wink:

Haha I dont want to be seen as a weird obsessed 11-year old stalker (which I definitely am not :angel:- no honestly, its just Ive had the chance to let it all out on here). I'lltrythough/wink.

Ive made friends with one of his close friends..one step at a time:cool:
Original post by Stalin
To anyone who has lived in Iraq, or who has family who've lived in Iraq: would you/they rather Iraq as it is now or pre-2003?

Hi bbz. Haven't asked them recently, but they used to say they were/felt safer before the invasion.

Haha I dont want to be seen as a weird obsessed 11-year old stalker (which I definitely am not :angel:- no honestly, its just Ive had the chance to let it all out on here). I'lltrythough/wink.

Ive made friends with one of his close friends..one step at a time:cool:

I'm sure you're not :p:

Subtly arrange to hang out with him and his friend and just happen to have some falafel and houmous on your person...it'll practically sort itself out :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending