The Student Room Group

AQA Mathematics GCE, A2, 19th January 2011 MFP2

Pre/post exam discussion, if you care for it!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am not sitting it this session But i will later.
=]
Reply 2
Does anyone want me to post some of my answers up for this Further Pure 2 paper???
Reply 3
Original post by ibysaiyan
I am not sitting it this session But i will later.
=]

Ah will you be sitting it in June? Which mods did you do this time round, or which will you do!
Reply 4
Original post by rob...
Ah will you be sitting it in June? Which mods did you do this time round, or which will you do!

In june fp2 and fp1 =]
c1-c4 this session .I already have an A in c4 but resiting it again.
Reply 5
Done it
Found it hard
Will almost certainly resit in the summer
Reply 6
Original post by 0800
Done it
Found it hard
Will almost certainly resit in the summer

I'd say 9/10 of us in my class found the Fp2 paper hard. I though question 8, the last part was cruel to say the least. And then the method of differences one merited more than 6 marks for sure!
Reply 7
Original post by rob...
I'd say 9/10 of us in my class found the Fp2 paper hard. I though question 8, the last part was cruel to say the least. And then the method of differences one merited more than 6 marks for sure!

I wonder how much I will be credited out of 4 mark question.The particular one I am speakng of is the integration by parts... I got -cosx/4 instead of -cosx/2 :facepalm:.. rest was correct... maybe 2? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
In june fp2 and fp1 =]
c1-c4 this session .I already have an A in c4 but resiting it again.

C1 to c 4 is quite a load! I sat C3 and 4 is on Monday :biggrin:
Thoughts on C3?
Reply 9
I wonder how much I will be credited out of 4 mark question.The particular one I am speakng of is the integration by parts... I got -cosx/4 instead of -cosx/2 :facepalm:.. rest was correct... maybe 2? :s-smilie:

From what everyones saying that paper was so hard that I suspect the markers'll be lenient! Maybe 2 yes, but I only know as much as you really :frown:
Original post by rob...
C1 to c 4 is quite a load! I sat C3 and 4 is on Monday :biggrin:
Thoughts on C3?

Wasn't bad at all apart from silly mistakes which I made.. I am still hoping for 83-85 :s
Reply 11
just done this test and everybody in my class said it was really hard, some of the questions i just didnt know how to start. Will definitely be resiting which is very annoying saying i spent so much time revising for it. Also C3 was ok.
Reply 12
Personally I found it quite hard during the exam.
Almost every question seemed to be a blocker which really made you think for a while, unlike all of the past papers where you would only get 1-2 of them per exam.

On reflection though, the questions do start to seem more reasonable, but realising how simple some of them are (i.e sum of roots = 0) is just frustrating when you couldn't recall the reason why during the exam.
Reply 13
Original post by Spungo
Personally I found it quite hard during the exam.
Almost every question seemed to be a blocker which really made you think for a while, unlike all of the past papers where you would only get 1-2 of them per exam.

On reflection though, the questions do start to seem more reasonable, but realising how simple some of them are (i.e sum of roots = 0) is just frustrating when you couldn't recall the reason why during the exam.

I think when ones doing a question on complex numbers, it's very unfair for them to get us to recall that the sum of the roots = -b/a... I only got that one because I remember they played the same nasty trick in one of the past papers, bringing polynomials into complex numbers. It's so unfair on the ones who haven't done that past paper!
Reply 14
Original post by rob...
I think when ones doing a question on complex numbers, it's very unfair for them to get us to recall that the sum of the roots = -b/a... I only got that one because I remember they played the same nasty trick in one of the past papers, bringing polynomials into complex numbers. It's so unfair on the ones who haven't done that past paper!

I remember that one too, so did you write that there was no coefficient of z^5? That's all I wrote, I wonder if it will be enough...
Reply 15
Original post by Webbykun
I remember that one too, so did you write that there was no coefficient of z^5? That's all I wrote, I wonder if it will be enough...

Yes, I just said sum ? = -b/a where 0(z^5):b, =0. Thus the Sumer of the roots=0.

I suspect that so few people will've got that question though that they'll be looking to give you the marks anyway :smile:

Can you please tell me the exact statement that we were trying to prove in the last part of the question please? I'm getting confused with all the 2s!
Reply 16
The induction question:
Part a said show that f(k+1) - 5f(k) = 7a, which I did.
Then in part 2 after doing all the "assume true for n = k" etc I put "From part a, p(k) -> p(k+1)" without realising that this might seem like a bit of a leap (f(k+1) = 5f(k) + 7a, but if f(k) is a multiple of 7 then clearly 5f(k) + 7a is as well) only after the exam did I think about it and regret not stating it more explicitly.
Do you reckon I will get marked down for this?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
The question on induction is actually exactly the same as in the textbook, ( EX 3C 1.(b) ). By pure coincidence I looked through that question this morning.
Reply 18
Original post by rob...
Yes, I just said sum ? = -b/a where 0(z^5):b, =0. Thus the Sumer of the roots=0.

I suspect that so few people will've got that question though that they'll be looking to give you the marks anyway :smile:

Can you please tell me the exact statement that we were trying to prove in the last part of the question please? I'm getting confused with all the 2s!

The last part asked you to prove that:

cos(pi/9) + cos(3pi/9) + cos(5pi/9) + cos(7pi/9) = 1/2
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Yosaron
The last part asked you to prove that:

cos(pi/9) + cos(3pi/9) cos(5pi/9) + cos(7pi/9) = 1/2

Interestingly I did this question wrongly in my head, but because I write so few words down on paper what was written was solid, however! It'll be interesting to see if the examiner "is convinced" haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending