Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Christianity and sex before marriage

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone quote me a passage from the Bible where sex before marriage is explicitly forbidden?

As far as I can see the Bible condemns 'sexual immorality', and this is interpreted by men as, among other things, sex before marriage. The Bible states that you should not commit adultery once married many times, but at no point does it forbid sex before marriage.

If the founders of the Christian churches saw sex before marriage with someone you're in a relationship with as completely moral, not under the phrase 'sexual immorality', they would not have interpreted the Bible in the way they have and Christians would be allowed to have sex before marriage.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought 'adultery' was classified as having sex with somebody you're not married to? Hence, no sex before marriage (may be wrong though :erm:)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Senor Chong)
    ...The Bible states that you should not commit adultery once married many times, but at no point does it forbid sex before marriage.
    How do you explain these verses that refer to fornication rather than adultery (which we agree is wrong):

Acts 15:20: But that we write to them (the gentile converts), that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication...

1Cor. 6:13: ... the body is not for fornication

6:18: Flee fornication. Every sin that a man does is without the body; but he that committs fornication sins against his own body.

7:2: Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

Gal. 5:19: Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

Eph. 5:3: But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becomes saints;

1Thess. 4:3: For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that you should abstain from fornication:

Jude 1:7: Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

P.S. what makes you think you are a Christian?
    Have you had the born again experience? (Acts 2:4, 33, 39; John 3:8)

This will enable you to have a new vision of life, love and relationships with other people who have received it.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    I thought 'adultery' was classified as having sex with somebody you're not married to? Hence, no sex before marriage (may be wrong though :erm:)
    Where the hell did you get that idea from.

It's shagging someone if you're already in a relationship

Anyway, basically, god isn't going to smite you for enjoying yourself in this short life blablabla you get the idea now go get laid.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwelmail)
    Where the hell did you get that idea from.

It's shagging someone if you're already in a relationship

Anyway, basically, god isn't going to smite you for enjoying yourself in this short life blablabla you get the idea now go get laid.
    No, I meant in christianity, not just a general adultery definition :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    How do you explain these verses that refer to fornication rather than adultery (which we agree is wrong):

1) Acts 15:20: But that we write to them (the gentile converts), that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication...

2) 1Cor. 6:13: ... the body is not for fornication

3) 6:18: Flee fornication. Every sin that a man does is without the body; but he that committs fornication sins against his own body.

4) 7:2: Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

5) Gal. 5:19: Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

6) Eph. 5:3: But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becomes saints;

7) 1Thess. 4:3: For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that you should abstain from fornication:

8) Jude 1:7: Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

This will enable you to have a new vision of life, love and relationships with other people who have received it.
    In the version of the Bible I have (Revised Standard Version) the word fornication is replaced by the following words in your quotes:
    1)unchastity
    2)immorality
    3)immorality
    4)immorality
    5)...immorality, impurity, licentiousness...
    6)But immorality and all impurity or covetousness...
    7)immorality
    8)...acted immorally and indulged in unnatural lust, serve as an example...

This website on the matter quotes the NIV Bible, where fornication is not mentioned, only 'sexual immorality'.

As you can see, the meaning in the quotes you give is lost in translation. Or I could say that the condemnation of sex before marriage has been inserted into the translation you quote by the people who have written it who wish to express that view.

It is the old problem that the Bible is the word of God but written by men. Some of it is the true word of God but other parts have been heavily influenced by the society of the people who wrote it at the time. I argue that the condemnation of sex before marriage is that latter.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    In the version of the Bible I have (Revised Standard Version) the word fornication is replaced by the following words in your quotes:
    1)unchastity
    2)immorality
    3)immorality
    4)immorality
    5)...immorality, impurity, licentiousness...
    6)But immorality and all impurity or covetousness...
    7)immorality
    8)...acted immorally and indulged in unnatural lust, serve as an example...

This website on the matter quotes the NIV Bible, where fornication is not mentioned, only 'sexual immorality'.

As you can see, the meaning in the quotes you give is lost in translation. Or I could say that the condemnation of sex before marriage has been inserted into the translation you quote by the people who have written it who wish to express that view.

It is the old problem that the Bible is the word of God but written by men. Some of it is the true word of God but other parts have been heavily influenced by the society of the people who wrote it at the time. I argue that the condemnation of sex before marriage is that latter.
    You bring a translated version of a Bible, then make a general statement about the whole Christian ideal and one of the principle ideas. :curious: That isn't too rational. Just because your version of the bible is translated in a certain matter, doesn't really change the original text. What NJA quotes is authentic and sexual immorality is in reference to fornication. What else is it? There is not a distinct difference in the Bible between sexual immorality and fornication, which if you are Christian, you should pay attention to.

1 Corinthians 7:2 - But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.

Ephesians 5:3 - But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people.

Colossians 3:5 - Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.

1 Thessalonians 4:3 - It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality;

Hebrews 13:4 - Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.
    With this passage being very clear about sexual immorality being a sinful but something allowable within the covenant of marriage

1 Corrinthians 7
    1 Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
    As I said in a thread before hand, the scripture is there and I would argue it is not as vague as people say. Just because it doesn't explicitly say "do not have sex before marriage" however it does say a lot about sexual immorality and its dangers and God says it is right and okay within marriage only. You cannot argue the negative "It doesn't say exactly do not have sex before marriage therefore it must be okay". That is preposterous. There are an infinite amount of things the Bible does not say you should not do, but we still know when we should not. As I said in another thread there are a lot of passages that say sex is correct in marriage however there are no passages saying sex is okay outside of it. If your position is so well versed, can you back up your position with a passage?

I think this is another example of people extrapolating what they wish. Even if we are speaking logically, a negative or absence of something doesn't validate the positive. God does not say do not have sex with dead people, however I am quite sure necrophilia is not justified in any way in Christianity. I couldn't then say, "it doesn't say anywhere in the Bible not to have sex with dead people, therefore it is okay". Or even to use a less crude argument, it does not say do not get involved in abortions or paedophilia ,however I do not think you can justify either with the bible nor could you say "it doesn't say do not do them in the Bible, therefore it is okay". Your argument is dry and not supported by scripture or logic.

I think whilst different translations can be confusing, the Bible says the same things. However the passages I provided above should show clearly where the idea no sex before marriage originates.

Essentially /thread.
    • 6 followers

If I understand the rationale behind the NIV translation, it is that "fornication" is not general enough to describe the translated word.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)

C'mon, NJ'. Stop fooling around.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invictus_88)
    C'mon, NJ'. Stop fooling around.
    I think you'll find it's you playing Russian Roulette with your salvation.
    I'm secure.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The original Bible? It's forbidden.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    I'm secure.
    I am confused. You think yourself secure and guaranteed Salvation? Why is Invictus "playing roulette" ?

(Original post by x-friends)
    The original Bible? It's forbidden.
    Original Bible?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    I am confused. You think yourself secure and guaranteed Salvation? Why is Invictus "playing roulette" ?

Original Bible?
    The original sent to Jesus (PBUH). Before it changed.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    The original sent to Jesus (PBUH). Before it changed.
    Right....... well, as the thread title implies, this is about Christianity so it is "changed" whatever that means. Though, the answer is the same.

Also, Jesus never "sent" any Bible ...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right....... well, as the thread title implies, this is about Christianity so it is "changed" whatever that means. Though, the answer is the same.

Also, Jesus never "sent" any Bible ...
    Read what I wrote again. I said Jesus (PBUH) was sent the Bible, not the other way around.

And I still consider Christianity a religion, just not the true one, so I still answer questions regarding that.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Read what I wrote again. I said Jesus (PBUH) was sent the Bible, not the other way around.

And I still consider Christianity a religion, just not the true one In my opinion, so I still answer questions regarding that.
    Okay. I made a slight edit to the post so it alright now.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay. I made a slight edit to the post so it alright now.
    WHY?!

If you want to write something leave it on your own post. Don't ruin mine!
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    WHY?!

If you want to write something leave it on your own post. Don't ruin mine!
    I didn't touch your original point, I merely added the bit in red, to distinguish it as my doing, to highlight the point that it is your opinion that Christianity is not the truth. I haven't ruined yours, if anything I made it more sensible and objective. I'm quite sure people will realise this, especially because I say I edited it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    When sex before marriage is having sex with someone who is not your wife or husband so in christianity this counts as fornication and forms sexual immorality,
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    I'm secure.
    I respect the fact that you have faith but if you want to see what most people today think of religion open this spoiler.

Spoiler:
    Show

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 8, 2011
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.