The Student Room Group

Reasons for outbreak on conflict in 1455, War of the Roses help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
SOMEONE ELSE WITH MY MODULE OMG. Yeah, nobody does it I swear!
I'm just doing as many practice essays as poss... kinda ignoring warbeck and simnel though as they came up last year!
Reply 21
Original post by adam_zed
ha! thanks and yeah it is very difficult to make money from but very rewarding!

Teaching sounds good! And definitely, thankfully history is quite a good essay discipline so you will ave something to fall back on if you change your mind!

Hey, sorry but I won't be able to get you the notes - I'm mega ill atm and I'm not even getting my revision done now (2 days before the exam :eek:) let alone helping anyone else.

Yeah, I think writing's difficult to get into/make money from like you said, so I think I'd have to be really dedicated to do it.

How's your revision going?
Reply 22
Original post by SOA Vamp
Hey, sorry but I won't be able to get you the notes - I'm mega ill atm and I'm not even getting my revision done now (2 days before the exam :eek:) let alone helping anyone else.

Yeah, I think writing's difficult to get into/make money from like you said, so I think I'd have to be really dedicated to do it.

How's your revision going?

Oh, I hope you get better!

revision is crap, I have suddenly run out of motivation and when I get a glimpse of it, i start on my law. Instead of trying to remember loads of facts and dates, I am just going to go over the main themes for each topic. How did you get ill?
i just did an essay on...

How far were the local rivalries among the nobility responsible for the outbreak of civil conflict in 1455?

so here it is... the conclusion is dire so any help on that would be appreciated :smile: i suck at conclusions!

It is clear that the local rivalries among the nobility were a prominent factor in causing the outbreak of civil conflict in 1455, however the evidence shows that is was in fact King Henry VI’s inadequacies that were the root cause of the conflict, as it was his inability to control these rivalries that allowed them to escalate, sparking the war of the roses. King Henry VI’s other inadequacies include his mistreatment of the nobility and his lavish spending. Limiting factors to this argument include the view that the loss of France was responsible for the start of civil conflict however this is challenged by the fact some of the failures in France can be attributed to Henry’s inadequacies. These factors combine to support the view that it was Henry’s inadequacies that were responsible for the outbreak of civil conflict in 1455.

The evidence shows that it was King Henry VI’s inadequacies as kings that were responsible for the outbreak of civil conflict in 1455. This is because his failure to assert his authority meant that rivalries among the nobility were not resolved. The most influential conflict being that of the Neville’s and the Percy’s, however there were other feuds such as the Bonville’s and the Courtenay’s. When Henry VI did little or nothing to solve these matters the noble families were forced to chose sides, as the bitterness between them meant that they could not fight for the same cause. For example when the Percy’s latched onto the Lancastrian cause, this left the Neville’s to side with York. The Neville’s being such a powerful family made the Yorkist cause a lot more threatening and meant that civil conflict was able to commence in 1455. It was Henry’s inadequacies which allowed these disputes to gain such momentum as he did little to stop them and did nothing to punish nobles that were out of line.

Another Inadequacy of King Henry VI was his mistreatment of the nobility, particularly Richard, Duke of York. King Henry’s favouritism of the Duke of Somerset led York to believe that his position was threatened, causing him to go against Henry. After York had lent the King a lot of money to aid the unsuccessful war in France the King seemed unable to repay York and yet was able to grant money and rewards to Somerset. In addition to this Somerset has been given York’s position of Captain of Calais by Henry in 1451, while York was made Lieutenant of Ireland in 1447, a move he felt was to keep him out of the way. Evidence of York’s distaste for Somerset comes from 1454 when he became protector of the throne during Henry’s mental collapse as he had Somerset arrested. It is clear therefore that Henry VI’s inadequacies was the key to civil conflict as he was unable to treat his magnates evening, leaving the Duke of York feeling that he had no alternative but to use force to maintain his power.

A further reason that Henry VI’s inadequacies were responsible for the outbreak of civil conflict in 1455 was because of his lavish spending. Henry spent huge amounts on churches (in particular the chapel of Eton college and the chapel at King’s College Cambridge), his lifestyle and the unsuccessful war in France. As a result of this the government were £372,000 in debt in 1450 and so high levels of taxation were put in place. Cade’s rebellion is evidence of the publics distaste for this as 46.000 men marched from Kent to London seizing the city for a few days. These financial troubles caused by King Henry’s inefficiency are responsible for the outbreak of civil conflict in 1455 as it meant that Henry could not afford a standing army and therefore could not protect himself from over mighty nobles, such as York.

It could be argued that it was the loss of France that started the War of the Roses, and not Henry’s inadequacies, as this was a humiliating defeat for England which left her in a weak financial position. However it was Henry’s lack of interest in warfare that led to Frances victory as for example he allowed a two year truce to be made with France, during which no fighting took place. However while France recovered and built stronger armies, Henry did nothing, ensuring their victory. This highlights Henry’s weaknesses as it shows that he was a weak decision maker with no military skills needed for a King.

In conclusion it can be seen that King Henry VI’s inadequacies were responsible for the outbreak of civil conflict in 1455 as the absence of an affective King meant meant that nobles had to take matter into their own hands…
Original post by Samus2
I'm just doing as many practice essays as poss... kinda ignoring warbeck and simnel though as they came up last year!

ooooh do you remember what the other questions were? war of the roses as well?
Reply 25
Original post by kittyminkyx
i just did an essay on...

How far were the local rivalries among the nobility responsible for the outbreak of civil conflict in 1455?

so here it is... the conclusion is dire so any help on that would be appreciated :smile: i suck at conclusions!

It is clear that the local rivalries among the nobility were a prominent factor in causing the outbreak of civil conflict in 1455, however the evidence shows that is was in fact King Henry VI’s inadequacies that were the root cause of the conflict, as it was his inability to control these rivalries that allowed them to escalate, sparking the war of the roses. King Henry VI’s other inadequacies include his mistreatment of the nobility and his lavish spending. Limiting factors to this argument include the view that the loss of France was responsible for the start of civil conflict however this is challenged by the fact some of the failures in France can be attributed to Henry’s inadequacies. These factors combine to support the view that it was Henry’s inadequacies that were responsible for the outbreak of civil conflict in 1455.

The evidence shows that it was King Henry VI’s inadequacies as kings that were responsible for the outbreak of civil conflict in 1455. This is because his failure to assert his authority meant that rivalries among the nobility were not resolved. The most influential conflict being that of the Neville’s and the Percy’s, however there were other feuds such as the Bonville’s and the Courtenay’s. When Henry VI did little or nothing to solve these matters the noble families were forced to chose sides, as the bitterness between them meant that they could not fight for the same cause. For example when the Percy’s latched onto the Lancastrian cause, this left the Neville’s to side with York. The Neville’s being such a powerful family made the Yorkist cause a lot more threatening and meant that civil conflict was able to commence in 1455. It was Henry’s inadequacies which allowed these disputes to gain such momentum as he did little to stop them and did nothing to punish nobles that were out of line.

Another Inadequacy of King Henry VI was his mistreatment of the nobility, particularly Richard, Duke of York. King Henry’s favouritism of the Duke of Somerset led York to believe that his position was threatened, causing him to go against Henry. After York had lent the King a lot of money to aid the unsuccessful war in France the King seemed unable to repay York and yet was able to grant money and rewards to Somerset. In addition to this Somerset has been given York’s position of Captain of Calais by Henry in 1451, while York was made Lieutenant of Ireland in 1447, a move he felt was to keep him out of the way. Evidence of York’s distaste for Somerset comes from 1454 when he became protector of the throne during Henry’s mental collapse as he had Somerset arrested. It is clear therefore that Henry VI’s inadequacies was the key to civil conflict as he was unable to treat his magnates evening, leaving the Duke of York feeling that he had no alternative but to use force to maintain his power.

A further reason that Henry VI’s inadequacies were responsible for the outbreak of civil conflict in 1455 was because of his lavish spending. Henry spent huge amounts on churches (in particular the chapel of Eton college and the chapel at King’s College Cambridge), his lifestyle and the unsuccessful war in France. As a result of this the government were £372,000 in debt in 1450 and so high levels of taxation were put in place. Cade’s rebellion is evidence of the publics distaste for this as 46.000 men marched from Kent to London seizing the city for a few days. These financial troubles caused by King Henry’s inefficiency are responsible for the outbreak of civil conflict in 1455 as it meant that Henry could not afford a standing army and therefore could not protect himself from over mighty nobles, such as York.

It could be argued that it was the loss of France that started the War of the Roses, and not Henry’s inadequacies, as this was a humiliating defeat for England which left her in a weak financial position. However it was Henry’s lack of interest in warfare that led to Frances victory as for example he allowed a two year truce to be made with France, during which no fighting took place. However while France recovered and built stronger armies, Henry did nothing, ensuring their victory. This highlights Henry’s weaknesses as it shows that he was a weak decision maker with no military skills needed for a King.

In conclusion it can be seen that King Henry VI’s inadequacies were responsible for the outbreak of civil conflict in 1455 as the absence of an affective King meant meant that nobles had to take matter into their own hands…

Im going to have to steal that little bit about debt haha! Btw, Im pretty sure that York was lieutenant of France and was replaced by Somerset as that, not captain of Calais. Somerset was given that upon his return having flopped at Rouen and lost Normandy! Other then that minor mistake, that looks good!

Have you done any more essays on War of the Rose that I may have a gander at?

or any notes for that matter lol?
Reply 26
Original post by Samus2

Who is Warbeck and Simnel? :s-smilie:
Reply 27
Oh, I hope you get better!

revision is crap, I have suddenly run out of motivation and when I get a glimpse of it, i start on my law. Instead of trying to remember loads of facts and dates, I am just going to go over the main themes for each topic. How did you get ill?

Thanks.

Fair enough, I know should look at my Literature stuff but I'm in no state atm. I'm sure all the knowledge you need is there :smile: Ugh, well I caught flu over Christmas and couldn't revise or anything for a week, went back to college last week and just had a cough, and then yesterday this migraine just hit me so yet again I've got nothing done. Well, I managed to get an essay done today but my Wars of the Roses knowledge before Edward IV is pretty shocking :eek: I'm such an ill person haha.
Reply 28
Thanks.

Fair enough, I know should look at my Literature stuff but I'm in no state atm. I'm sure all the knowledge you need is there :smile: Ugh, well I caught flu over Christmas and couldn't revise or anything for a week, went back to college last week and just had a cough, and then yesterday this migraine just hit me so yet again I've got nothing done. Well, I managed to get an essay done today but my Wars of the Roses knowledge before Edward IV is pretty shocking :eek: I'm such an ill person haha.

Im an opportunist see. And I have spotted a potential opportunity. Where is your cut off point of what you know about, and if you tell me what you are having trouble with, with regards to the first half of the topic, then can you please help me with the second half?

I know nothing after Warwick came back and landed at Devon, scaring Edward off to Burgundy! After this point, all I know is the dates of the battles, not what happened during or inbetween them! So if you could give me an outline of what happened here (maybe throw in a few facts and dates for me) then I can do the same for the parts that you are having difficulty with!
Reply 29
Im an opportunist see. And I have spotted a potential opportunity. Where is your cut off point of what you know about, and if you tell me what you are having trouble with, with regards to the first half of the topic, then can you please help me with the second half?

I know nothing after Warwick came back and landed at Devon, scaring Edward off to Burgundy! After this point, all I know is the dates of the battles, not what happened during or inbetween them! So if you could give me an outline of what happened here (maybe throw in a few facts and dates for me) then I can do the same for the parts that you are having difficulty with!

I have difficulty remembering the dates and places of the battles 1459-61, Edward's policies in his first reign and any notable treaties or things that happened in general. Usually the origins I struggle with as well but I think I'm OK with it now :smile:

OK, Warwick and Edward:
- Edward's mistakes were: marrying Elizabeth Woodville as it was a poor alliance as she was a commoner and had a grasping family; he alienated Warwick; in his foreign policy he chose Burgundy over France; he allowed Earl Rivers to become incredibly powerful at the expense of other nobles.
- Warwick was fearful of Earl Rivers power; angry that he wasn't given more power; he couldn't find suitable suitors for his daughters to marry, such as Clarence; Warwick preferred a French alliance and was upset by the Burgundian alliance which included the marriage of Princess Margaret and Charles.
- Alliance of Anjou and Warwick: was to put Henry VI on the throne with Warwick as regent, this would gain the support of the Lancastrians; it meant the betrothal of Anne Neville and Prince Edward (Henry's VI son); and gave French support for the invasion.
- Woodvilles: immense power caused rivalries; led to factions; brought more land for Edward; the big family married many heiresses.
- Clarence: married Isabel Neville and allied with Warwick to try and take the Crown.
- France was important because they gave Warwick troops.
- Burgundy gave Edward ships and men.
- Edward was deposed really for the reasons stated: unpopular Woodville marriage, unprepared for rebellion, the Burgundian alliance and the rising power of the Woodvilles.

Edward's consolidation of royal power 1472-83:
- importance of Burgundy: gave Edward an expeditionary force to take back throne (Charles the Bold and Edward were brothers in law); led to Edward reclaiming throne and 1000 Flemish troops.
- end of Lancastrian resistance: prince Edward killed at Battle of Tewkesbury (1471); Henry VI murdered in the Tower (1471) and Anjou had no claims to the throne - she was imprisoned before fleeing to Scotland, then France.
- royal authority: Edward improved finances - revenue, Crown lands and the French pension (Treaty of Picquigny, 1475); restored law and order; had 2 sons; successful foreign policy and had trusted magnates - Gloucester in the North, Hastings in the Midlands, Earl Rives in Wales and the Grey brothers in the south west.
-1478: Clarence killed
- 1473: marriage treaty with Scots, 1483: Berwick on Tweed captured

Richard III and Bosworth:
- usurpation: murder of the princes; Edward, Prince of Wales and Richard placed in the tower; Richard and Buckingham arrested and later executed Grey (Woodville's son), Earl Rivers and Vaughan; inability to decide on what kind of council should be set up to help Edward rule; Richard claimed Edward IV and his offspring were illegitimate and Richard was paranoid as he thought he would lose power if Edward V was crowned.
- strengths and weaknesses of Richard's reign: weak claim; Buckingham's rebellion of 1483; his power base was in the North; he had limited opposition; he used patronage effectively; he had a good relationship with the nobility; and he used propaganda.
- Buckingham's rebellion: he gave support to Henry VII; he was overmighty; the Welsh army he raised fleed in the flood and Buckingham was executed in November 1483.
- Henry VII's challenge: he had French support; he had support from the anti-Ricardian's; Richard split the Yorkists and Henry was betrothed to Elizabeth of York.
-France and Henry VII: supplied Henry with a small fleet and troops; it was a defensive move against Richard's alliance with Brittany and they were fearful of Richard invading. France was also suffering from a split minority government which left the country insecure.

Henry's challenge to the throne:
- Henry Tudor: son of Margaret Beaufort and Edmund Tudor; illegitimate claim - Margaret Beaufort's great-grandfather was John of Gaunt; lack of support for Henry and the Stanley family were unlikely to intervene (Thomas Stanley was married to Margaret Beaufort)
- gaining the throne: Richard was killed at Bosworth due to the intervention of William Stanley at the last minute; Henry claimed God found favour with him on the battlefield; Northumberland was neutral and Thomas Stanley's son was captive, meaning there was little support on either side.

I know these are pretty extensive, so don't panic if you don't recognize some of it! If you need clarification on anything, let me know :smile:
Reply 30
Who is Warbeck and Simnel? :s-smilie:

that's in Henry VII which I assume you're not doing xD!

For WotR I've focused mainly on outbreak of civil conflict 1455
How did edward consolidate power
how did edward strengthen the crown
how did henry seize the thrown in 1485
Reply 31
Original post by kittyminkyx
ooooh do you remember what the other questions were? war of the roses as well?

Erm, can't remember exactly
but
WotR:
Civil conflict in 1455
can't remember the other... have a feeling it was to do with Edward's reign being similar to Henry Vi's - not 100% though!

Henry VII:
Warbeck and Simnel
Something like Royal finances helped strengthen henry's monarchy. why?

I'm focusing my revision on
wotr:
Civil conflict 1455
Edward iv consolidating his power
how did edward strengthen the monarchy
how was henry able to take the crown in 1485/richard's unpopularity

henry vii:
Finances
and then foreign policy
Reply 32
Thanks.

my problem's post Edward!
I can do Henry VII and Edward no problemo!
Reply 33
Original post by Samus2
my problem's post Edward!
I can do Henry VII and Edward no problemo!

If your problem's post-Edward, surely you can NOT do Henry VII and Edward? But see above post if that helps :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Samus2
that's in Henry VII which I assume you're not doing xD!

For WotR I've focused mainly on outbreak of civil conflict 1455
How did edward consolidate power
how did edward strengthen the crown
how did henry seize the thrown in 1485

How did Edward consolidate power and strengthen the power of the throne as that is a kind of black hole for me at the moment!
Reply 35
I have difficulty remembering the dates and places of the battles 1459-61, Edward's policies in his first reign and any notable treaties or things that happened in general. Usually the origins I struggle with as well but I think I'm OK with it now :smile:

I know these are pretty extensive, so don't panic if you don't recognize some of it! If you need clarification on anything, let me know :smile:

Hmm, so 1459 you have Ludford Bridge.

I take it you know how tensions rose after St Albans and the Yorkists lost their grip on the country as Henry slipped in and out of bouts of catatonic Schizophrenia long enough for Margaret to take charge.
-York assumed Protectorate in November, 1455 but any attempt to control Henry was hindered by Margaret. A few months later York was demoted from position to a lesser one, and quickly Henry in one of his lucid moments dismissed York from even that.
-Maragert here made the first of many mistakes. In using Henry to get back at York, she dismissed and reversed many of the appointments he had made, but left Warwick in charge of Calais (I think because she knew any attempt to place one of those nobles responsible for loosing France would have led to an angry revolt). Whoever held Calais held favour within London, the economic hub of the country.
-Tensions rose as the situation mirrored that of pre 1455. Somerset and Buckingham essentially were the most powerful people after Margaret. York was wound up even more when the Duke of Exeter (who during Neville v Percy feud had joined Percy's and announced his own laughable claim to the throne) was released from Prison despite being a traitor to Henry and having been sent to prison by York. The country sank back into chaos as Percy's renewed fight with Nevilles in the North, piracy was in the south and Warwick was gaining more favour in London.
-Margaret also moved Parliament to Coventry/Leicester (not sure which), the heart of her sons lands. Tensions spiralled and even a "love day" on 25th March 1458 failed to amend any rifts. Both camps attempted to re-arm and I believe the hostilities began when Margaret summoned Warwick and York to a council and the Yorkists had heard that the Lancs were re-arming and so feared a trap and then Battle of Blore Heath was a Lancastrian attempt to prevent Salisbury from linking up with York.
-Thus entered the Battle of Ludford Bridge in October 1459 which ended with the Yorkists fleeing abroad as Warwick's Calais contingent defected sides (led by Andrew Trollope, take note)
-York fled to Ireland and Warwick, Ed and Salisbury went to Calais where they built up an army (Margaret's mistake of not dismissing Warwick meant that he had somewhere to seek refuge and commit raids on the English south coast and her focus on a small group of loyal courtiers had meant she had ignored Ireland completely, allowing York somewhere where he commanded great loyalty).
-Warwick, Ed and Salisbury arrived back in England in May with a Papal Legate to show Papal support. And in June he had entered London to much support. His forces then met the Lancs at Northampton In July and they smashed them!
-After this victory, York returned in September and made a claim for the throne which shocked everyone as they had been under the impression that they were merely bin aiming to rid the realm of bad influences. York showed his claim to Duke of Clarence, 2nd son of Edward III and this drew more sympathy. The Act of Accord was signed in October 60 which disinherited Margaret's son Edward.
-This obv pissed off Margaret and stimulated the next stage of conflict Now considering Henry had been captured again in his tent at Northampton, York was able to rule in Henry's name.
-After loss, Margaret first fled to Cheshire and then North Wales where she grouped with the Tudor's who were re-arming. Margaret sailed to Scotland and raised an army there. She was unable to afford to raise such an army nd so promised them bounty as they moved towards London.
-York heard of this and so got an army to move Northwards whilst sending his son to wales to try and contain the Tudor threat.
-At christmas, 1460, York took refuge in Sandal Castle in Wakefield. Now some foragers got lost or some **** so he rode out to save them and was slain by nearby lancastrians. Son Edmund was also killed and Salisbury (Warwick's father) was also executed.
-Meanwhile, Edward had surely head about the fate of his father by now and despite only being 18, showed amazing resolve to then defeat a stronger Lancastrian force led by Jasper Tudor in February, 1461 at Mortimer's Cross.
-During the same month, Margaret's forces were looting their way to London which she aimed to get to in order to reclaim her Husband. Warwick showed a bout of incompetence here as he set up in St Albans but didnt consolidate his forces thinking the Lancs were miles away. It is also possible the Warwick had his position told to the Lancs by a spy. Anyway, the Lancs, led by Andrew Trollope, routed Warwicks forces and regained Henners.
-After this defeat, Warwick fled and Margaret marched to London. The people of London would not let her in, having heard about her forces raping and pillaging of Herts and Middlesex (which Warwick may have made out was worse then it was)
-Content with having Henry back, she retreated to Dunstable as many of her forces head back to Scotland with their looted booty (mistake #2 as if she had taken London by force, she would have denied the Yorkists an important place of refuge where they could regroup).
- Edward met with Warwick in London and from there they raised an army and met the Lancs at Towton in Yorkshire on the 29th of March. Was a massive battle in which just under 1% of the country are said to have died. This dismantled the Lancs as an effective fighting force and can be said to have been a result of A) Edward's impressive military skill shown at Mortimer's Cross and Towton as well as the successive mistakes made by Margaret with regards to allowing Warwick to stay in charge of Calais and by not taking London in Feb, 61. Having taken refuge in Scotland in 1459, Margaret also had to give the Northern town of Berwick to James II of Scotland's consort Mary of Gueldres, in return for the army she was given.
-Margaret, Ed and Henry fled to Scotland and with the remnants of their forces, launched raids on the North of England.
-England wanted to remove the threat of a Scottish invasion and so tried to agree peace. This threatened the Lancs base and so Somerset was sent to ambush the Yorkists on the way to York for the talks. This flopped and the Yorkists defeated somerset at the battle of Hedgeley Moors in April. The peace was succesful and was followed by the battle of hexham in may 64. Somerset who before the battle of hedgeley moor had claimed to be reconciled with Edward had led a small rebellion in the North and after being forced out of Scotland they wondered Northumberland causing distrubance. The Battle of Hexham saw Somerset slain, Margaret and Edward fled to France and Henry was captured a year later.

I hope this is of some help and thanks for yours, it is perfect!

And just to summarise the battles.

Ludford Bridge - October 59
Northampton - July 60
Wakefield - December 60
Mortimer's Cross - Feb 61
2nd Battle of St Albans - Feb 61
Towton - 29th March 61

Not top strong on Edward's reign before 69 but basically he secured peace with Scotland which prevented invasion and forced the Lancs out by 65 and also retake Harlech Castle in North Wales which had remained Lancastrian Stronghold untill 68. Also was able to put down rebellions in the North.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
If your problem's post-Edward, surely you can NOT do Henry VII and Edward? But see above post if that helps :smile:

i meant Henry Vi >.< ha
Reply 37
How did Edward consolidate power and strengthen the power of the throne as that is a kind of black hole for me at the moment!

in my opinion anyway - it was difficult for edward to consolidate his power.
First and foremost you've got the fact that lancastrians are reconciling their power in the north of england. The lancs concentrated most of their power in northumberland and they were sustained mainly by scottish and french mercenaries. early in 1464, margaret of anjou travelled back to the north of england and enjoyed the support and growing support that they held. Principal support came from the percies who'd been the previous allies at the battle of st albans 1455. This proved that there was still lancastrian supprt. Although Henry was captured and imprisoned in 1465, Edward didn't actually establish his authority all that well because of the fact that even after these power bases were crushed, lancastrian supporters were still offered things such as pardons and were encouraged to serve the crown. Also, you've got the fact that even though henry vi was imprisoned, he was treated excellently. The lancastrians were simply encouraged.

Edward also found it difficult to consolidate power because of his relations between himself and the nobility. He relied upon a clique of nobles. He rewarded those nobles heavily - warwick, clarence, gloucester, nevilles and the woodvilles. Like in henry vi's reign, this caused resentment within the nobility because of the fact that edward was showing sheer favouritism. another reason for divisions within the nobility are the fact that you've got lancastrians being pardoned for disloyalty.

You've got Edward's foreign policy and warwicks role as kingmaker (others would pobabaly argue that this is more influential - i disagree personally.) His foreign policy was a faile in the sense that louis of france and charles of burgundy were basically using england as a pawn in their own ware. After Edward married Elizabeth woodville, instead of louis xi's sister in law, it not only alienated warwick, it alienated france as an ally causing an alliance between wawick, louis and margaret of anjou. the fact that edward's closest ally is forming an alliance with the enemy lancastrian kind and queen shows the difficulty in the consolidation of his power. Warwick was originally an ally of richard duke of york in 1455 and edward iv. warwick and edward were close: warwick had been given the captainship f calais and the constabliship of dover. After edward went behind his back and married elizabeth woodville, warwick was undermined and lost influence.
Reply 38
Original post by Samus2
in my opinion anyway - it was difficult for edward to consolidate his power.
First and foremost you've got the fact that lancastrians are reconciling their power in the north of england. The lancs concentrated most of their power in northumberland and they were sustained mainly by scottish and french mercenaries. early in 1464, margaret of anjou travelled back to the north of england and enjoyed the support and growing support that they held. Principal support came from the percies who'd been the previous allies at the battle of st albans 1455. This proved that there was still lancastrian supprt. Although Henry was captured and imprisoned in 1465, Edward didn't actually establish his authority all that well because of the fact that even after these power bases were crushed, lancastrian supporters were still offered things such as pardons and were encouraged to serve the crown. Also, you've got the fact that even though henry vi was imprisoned, he was treated excellently. The lancastrians were simply encouraged.

Edward also found it difficult to consolidate power because of his relations between himself and the nobility. He relied upon a clique of nobles. He rewarded those nobles heavily - warwick, clarence, gloucester, nevilles and the woodvilles. Like in henry vi's reign, this caused resentment within the nobility because of the fact that edward was showing sheer favouritism. another reason for divisions within the nobility are the fact that you've got lancastrians being pardoned for disloyalty.

You've got Edward's foreign policy and warwicks role as kingmaker (others would pobabaly argue that this is more influential - i disagree personally.) His foreign policy was a faile in the sense that louis of france and charles of burgundy were basically using england as a pawn in their own ware. After Edward married Elizabeth woodville, instead of louis xi's sister in law, it not only alienated warwick, it alienated france as an ally causing an alliance between wawick, louis and margaret of anjou. the fact that edward's closest ally is forming an alliance with the enemy lancastrian kind and queen shows the difficulty in the consolidation of his power. Warwick was originally an ally of richard duke of york in 1455 and edward iv. warwick and edward were close: warwick had been given the captainship f calais and the constabliship of dover. After edward went behind his back and married elizabeth woodville, warwick was undermined and lost influence.

Ahh I see, thanks! These past few days have been one of those rare moments when TSR has been of great use!

When Edward secured peace with the Scots, was there a treaty attached to this?
Reply 39
Ahh I see, thanks! These past few days have been one of those rare moments when TSR has been of great use!

When Edward secured peace with the Scots, was there a treaty attached to this?

There wasn't a treaty as such, it was the arranged marriage between Edwards son and James daughter, that wasn't until his second reign though (not 100% sure) the most notable treaty is picquigny in 1475 - he secured the French pension

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending